• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello and welcome to the Religion Forum

The "fuss" concerned anxiety.
Some people don't want to be exposed to
even the title of a political topic.

So, by making the area separate, those people
are spared seeing the topics they find too disturbing.
Frequently political discussion is very polarizing and, that,
in addition to the topic itself, is upsetting to some people.

Thanks @tree. Off to google what a “religious political topic” would be. I still have no idea besides the abortion issue, or maybe the homosexual issue. No clue.

No.

The idea WAS NOT that there were threads which were mingled aka "religious political."

The idea was solely to separate the areas of discussion, into the separate headings.

If politics and religion are “never mixed together” then why was the request for them to be separate so distinctly spelled out? I mean that is confusing too. If they don’t mix, then why was such a fuss made?

It seems that someone was afraid of them mixing, and I don’t know what a mixed topic Or discussion would be.
What on earth is so confusing to understand that some members want to discuss religion without sharing an area that at one time housed both topics?

Some hate political discussion and see it as a topic full of contention and generally a battleground.

In the past, this forum did not allow even mentioning politics UNLESS it specifically was related to legislation that directly effected those on the autism spectrum.

Those that wanted to discuss politics were given an opt-in area so they could enter into those types of conversations.

This prevented those members who came here for autistic support from having to be exposed to a potentially toxic environment.

An example would be someone who gets anxiety triggered easily.

Some members requested that their religious discussions be placed in an area away from the potentially toxic political arena because they don't like politics.

Exactly how difficult is that to fully understand?

No.

The idea WAS NOT that there were threads which were mingled aka "religious political."

The idea was solely to separate the areas of discussion, into the separate headings.

I understand that the two were not supposed to mix but I had no idea what that meant. I googled to see topics that DID mix the two so that I would understand what the forum rules mean.

Here is an example of the two mixed together:
Religion and U.S. Politics | Pew Research Center
By SEEING examples, I understand a little bit better what NOT to discuss. Unless I SEE examples, I do not understand.

What on earth is so confusing to understand that some members want to discuss religion without sharing an area that at one time housed both topics?

Some hate political discussion and see it as a topic full of contention and generally a battleground.

In the past, this forum did not allow even mentioning politics UNLESS it specifically was related to legislation that directly effected those on the autism spectrum.

Those that wanted to discuss politics were given an opt-in area so they could enter into those types of conversations.

This prevented those members who came here for autistic support from having to be exposed to a potentially toxic environment.

An example would be someone who gets anxiety triggered easily.

Some members requested that their religious discussions be placed in an area away from the potentially toxic political arena because they don't like politics.

Exactly how difficult is that to fully understand?

Try to explain how the colors of blue mixed with red creates purple IF a person is blind — you will NOT get understanding.
Try to explain how ice cream tastes if a person does not have functioning taste buds - you will NOT get understanding.

Try to explain classical music to a person who does not hear, and you will NOT get understanding.

I am surprised how... on an aspie forum, I had so much difficulty being understood by some forum leaders. :-( You make me feel ignorant, Nitro.

ANY topic can be “politicalized” (debated Or made controversial) but that does not mean a person understands. You could rant that “the sun is yellow,” and I could argue, “no, it’s warm!” That’s an autism skewed observation .... made “political” - right?

Last edited:
Nice examples.

They describe exactly what was not the idea. :)

People wanted different headings.
They wanted one, without the other.

Not that they were concerned about mixtures of the topics
within the same thread.

This forum can not be currently disabled. This is not a forum for debate so it is included with all the other forums.
But like politics, it's a topic generally avoided because people get frustrated, isn't it?

I browse the site by new posts, but this obviously now brings up religious topics. Is there a way to browse new posts of only forums you watch? Or is it a case of either all new posts or having to look at each and every forum individually? Other sites have this functionality so I'm wondering if it's there but I've missed it.

Personally, I really don't want to see topics like "Are Some Schizophrenics Hearing Spirits?" so I just want to know what my options are, if that makes sense.

Try to explain how the colors of blue mixed with red creates purple IF a person is blind — you will NOT get understanding.
Try to explain how ice cream tastes if a person does not have functioning taste buds - you will NOT get understanding.

Try to explain classical music to a person who does not hear, and you will NOT get understanding.

I am surprised how... on an aspie forum, I had so much difficulty being understood by some forum leaders. :-( You make me feel ignorant, Nitro.

ANY topic can be “politicalized” (debated Or made controversial) but that does not mean a person understands. You could rant that “the sun is yellow,” and I could argue, “no, it’s warm!” That’s an autism skewed observation .... made “political” - right?
we are like carbon copies

I'm wondering if there could there be a sub-forum called Spirituality?

I don't follow or practice a religion, but still want to talk about God, or sometimes just different spiritual practices or perspectives. These are outside of anything to do with religion. It feels strange having to post these in a forum called religion.

Edit: Or just change the forum title to...Religion, beliefs and spirituality

Last edited:
I'd like to request an option to disable this topic from my view like some others have. Some people don't like being around politics. I don't like being around religion. I'm sorry if this sounds rude. I'm just trying to protect myself from triggers.

I have been very confused about this thread. I surmise others are too. I don’t understand religion discussion versus political discussion. Therefore, I do not know what to say! I just don’t understand, and I don’t understand all ththe strict warnings, cuz I don’t know what religion with - or without politics is! Can someone give examples for both kinds?

IMHO

Religion (remaking god into the image of Man) and politics both tend to be rigid, hierarchically phallic organizations seeking power, wealth, and control of the masses (conformity, marginalization, oppression) and justifies any means to this end. It is hard to separate them.

The US constitution tried - but the SCOTFS tries to force We the People to bow down to fundamental religion's policy of doing whatever they please at our expense. Religion & politics both have blood on their hands.

I would throw Religion & Politics into the same stinkin' heap ("rejects any moral compass") and contrast them both to spirituality (remaking self into the image of God/Source/Oneness). One can be spiritual anywhere, even in a religion, political organization, or dystopic situation.

New Threads

Top Bottom