• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello and welcome to the Religion Forum

Brent

Administrator
This forum area is for anyone who wants to discuss religion. This forum is not for debating religion, preaching to others or talking down to others based on their religious beliefs.

The rules of our forum are strictly enforced here. If you abuse the rules in this forum you risk being banned from the Religion forum and possibly the entire forum as a whole.

I hope that you find great discussions within this forum and look forward to reading!

Is it possible for me to turn this off? I have the politics & religion forum disabled but this has come up on new posts for me.

This forum can not be currently disabled. This is not a forum for debate so it is included with all the other forums.

hello Brent would saying "if you're really there God prove yourself "be considered preaching?
my comprehension of English is very basic !

I'm not sure there's a clear distinction between talking about religion and "debating religion, preaching to others or talking down to others based on their religious beliefs."

@Brent can you provide examples of acceptable or unacceptable content? It seems to me that "where do I find such and such in this or that holy book" is clearly allowed but "do you believe in God" is more unclear.

I am posting the link to the thread that got this specific part of the forum started.

This area was provided so that those who weren't in favor of the ruckus that can arise from political discussions will never have to be exposed to it.

would love to talk religion without politics

This is not a debate area as Brent has already stated, but a civilized discussion area for those who wish to hold conversations about their faith or a lack of it for that matter.

ALL of the forum rules will apply here, where there will be zero tolerance for taking this to a personal level if any of you disagree with each other.

If you feel you have to take it to a personal level, please keep in mind that you can be banned from access to this area for doing so.

Please keep in mind that you can state your thoughts, but no belief or a lack of one makes anyone any better than the rest.

Sometimes the best course of action when things get heated is to step back and think how you would feel if another got animated with negative thoughts on your statements.

I have been very confused about this thread. I surmise others are too. I don’t understand religion discussion versus political discussion. Therefore, I do not know what to say! I just don’t understand, and I don’t understand all ththe strict warnings, cuz I don’t know what religion with - or without politics is! Can someone give examples for both kinds?

I have been very confused about this thread. I surmise others are too. I don’t understand religion discussion versus political discussion. Therefore, I do not know what to say! I just don’t understand, and I don’t understand all ththe strict warnings, cuz I don’t know what religion with - or without politics is! Can someone give examples for both kinds?

When people talk about religion they use words like
faith, Jesus, Buddha,God, gods, worship, miracle, church, baptize...etc...

When people talk politics it's about voting, amendments,
current laws, the mundane governing of a body of people...etc.

You agreed to our terms when you signed on here.

This is much the same as a private social club where you don't get to make the rules, but you must follow them if you want to remain here.

Political and religious discussions always have a way of becoming polarized, so in order to prevent anarchy, we set the rules in place to ensure a thread doesn't spiral out of control and drive others away as a result of a few bad apples.

My husband and his friends all go to the UU church and I have popped in from time to time. Religions and non-religion all mingle without debate, though discussion is encouraged. When I have a bit of time I will start a thread about one of the religious topics that interest me and see if it interest anyone else and what they might think on the subject. Sure I could go to the UU church and talk but there are actual people all mingling and chatting, and so I generally can't get many words out. Once I tried a local Socrates Cafe and that too was a problem because of the number of people. For me ASD has really interfered with this part of my personality. I would be a lot more like my husband if I could navigate groups better. Even here online it can be very difficult to get out what is floating my head because it is sometimes hard for me to get the ideas and images in my head translated into words.

Seems pretty straight forward to me. To politely discuss religious subjects with a caveat of not aggressively debating them. Probably best for those who hold no religious beliefs and those prepared to argue one belief versus another to abstain from this particular forum altogether.

Seems to me that there are numerous things people can discuss. Though it does seem a challenge in avoiding any contentiousness in the process. Let's see what happens.

It might also be a good place to talk religious history and the impact religion has on culture. I just read Jane Eyre and there is a lot of religion in that book. Same with Wuthering Heights.

Sure I could go to the UU church and talk but there are actual people all mingling and chatting, and so I generally can't get many words out. Once I tried a local Socrates Cafe and that too was a problem because of the number of people. For me ASD has really interfered with this part of my personality.

Indeed. Over the years here I've seen a lot of such sentiments. Where it isn't religion that is a problem, but rather the fellowship that seems an integral part of it. And all the expectations of interacting with others that goes with it.

When people talk about religion they use words like
faith, Jesus, Buddha,God, gods, worship, miracle, church, baptize...etc...

When people talk politics it's about voting, amendments,
current laws, the mundane governing of a body of people...etc.

Still confused. I know what “politics” are. I know what “religion” is. I can think of one or two “polarizing” issues, but not sure if that means “political.” So debates are always ”political? I imagine the pro choice/ pro life issue is “political” but other religious debates don’t seem political, but are very “contentious.” Is controversy always “political?”

The best advice I ever was taught was to not talk about religion or politics in the workplace. It would be great to understand when they mix into one. Examples. This is all too analytical and left brained for me. I best just stay out of it if I can’t tell which is what.

Still confused. I know what “politics” are. I know what “religion” is. I can think of one or two “polarizing” issues, but not sure if that means “political.” So debates are always ”political? I imagine the pro choice/ pro life issue is “political” but other religious debates don’t seem political, but are very “contentious.” Is controversy always “political?”

The best advice I ever was taught was to not talk about religion or politics in the workplace. It would be great to understand when they mix into one. Examples. This is all too analytical and left brained for me. I best just stay out of it if I can’t tell which is what.
The two topics were never mixed into one as dual issues, they were placed in an opt-in area in order to isolate them from the main forum.

The split was made to honor a request by some to not be exposed to politics while they were having religious discussions.
To me, that sounds like a fairly simple concept.

Most of the people who come here are here for information related to the autism spectrum, to interact with others for coping mechanisms, comparing experiences, friendship and generally not looking for a political or religious war room.

If you feel you can't maintain a discussion in a civil manner, please avoid interacting with others in those areas.

The two topics were never mixed into one as dual issues, they were placed in an opt-in area in order to isolate them from the main forum.

The split was made to honor a request by some to not be exposed to politics while they were having religious discussions.
To me, that sounds like a fairly simple concept.

Most of the people who come here are here for information related to the autism spectrum, to interact with others for coping mechanisms, comparing experiences, friendship and generally not looking for a political or religious war room.

If you feel you can't maintain a discussion in a civil manner, please avoid interacting with others in those areas.

You missed my whole confusion. I don’ know what a “political religious” mixture would be outside of the pro choice or pro life debate. I learn by examples, but none are given. I don’t know what a “political religious” discussion is. I know it was requested to have it, but I seldom have confusion and I am frustrated and feeling ignorant by not know what it means. To have the same info repeated multiple times to me which has nothing to do with explaining what the two differing subjects mean when they are mixed together is frustrating also.

I am feeling like the whole world knows what this is, and I am left out. Not a good feeling.

You missed my whole confusion. I don’ know what a “political religious” mixture would be outside of the pro choice or pro life debate. I learn by examples, but none are given. I don’t know what a “political religious” discussion is. I know it was requested to have it, but I seldom have confusion and I am frustrated and feeling ignorant by not know what it means. To have the same info repeated multiple times to me which has nothing to do with explaining what the two differing subjects mean when they are mixed together is frustrating also.

I am feeling like the whole world knows what this is, and I am left out. Not a good feeling.
I have no idea what you wish to know.
I attempted to explain it the best way I understood what you were asking.

They were NEVER mixed together as a single topic.
They shared the same opt-in area.

The area was formed in order to give BOTH topics a place to exist as separate entities.

The topics were either religious or political in nature, but never both at the same time.

They are two distinctly separate topics that no longer share one area.

The religious part was set into another area in order to shelter some from political discussions per request of some of the membership.

I have no idea what you wish to know.
I attempted to explain it the best way I understood what you were asking.

They were NEVER mixed together as a single topic.
They shared the same opt-in area.

The area was formed in order to give BOTH topics a place to exist as separate entities.

The topics were either religious or political in nature, but never both at the same time.

They are two distinctly separate topics that no longer share one area.

The religious part was set into another area in order to shelter some from political discussions per request of some of the membership.

If politics and religion are “never mixed together” then why was the request for them to be separate so distinctly spelled out? I mean that is confusing too. If they don’t mix, then why was such a fuss made?

It seems that someone was afraid of them mixing, and I don’t know what a mixed topic Or discussion would be.

If politics and religion are “never mixed together” then why was the request for them to be separate so distinctly spelled out? I mean that is confusing too. If they don’t mix, then why was such a fuss made?

It seems that someone was afraid of them mixing, and I don’t know what a mixed topic Or discussion would be.

The "fuss" concerned anxiety.
Some people don't want to be exposed to
even the title of a political topic.

So, by making the areas separate, those people
are spared seeing the topics they find too disturbing.
Frequently political discussion is very polarizing and, that,
in addition to the topic itself, is upsetting to some people.

New Threads

Top Bottom