• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hej from Denmark

I'm a 32 y/o female from Denmark, who was finally diagnosed at 28.
Before that I've had 2 different "main" diagnosis. First one was Paranoid Schizophrenia at age 16, but that story is too long to post here. That was changed to BPD when I was about 20. And at age 28 I was finally "allowed" by our healthcare system to be examined for autism.
I was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADD, and since the psychiatrist who signed the papers were not just your run-of-the-mill "low ranking" Dr., but actually the Chief Doctor at the regional office in my part of Denmark, the schizophrenia diagnosis was completely deleted with no possibility of it ever returning. I will be thankful to him for the rest of my life, because if you ever had a Schizophrenia diagnosis here, the doctors will always have a certain doubt about your newer diagnosis. But his signature is worth quite a lot in the eyes of his fellow psychiatrists, so that should never be a problem for me again.

I've since received counselling to help me understand what it actually means to have this diagnosis. But I'm not very good at therapy, and since the municipality eventually effed up in the contract they had to sign with therapists office (so I didn't have to pay) - those sessions are now a thing of the past. It's sad, especially because I still have a ton of questions. However, I am an avid Google user, and whenever I google, I often find my answers on this forum. So I decided to join, as it'll be much easier to get the answer I need, when the question comes from me and not somebody else. Hopefully I can also contribute with my knowledge of being misdiagnosed, social anxiety and being born in the last millennium.

To sum it all up: Hej (hi) from Denmark :)

Hej, welcome. I love Denmark, it's awfully flat, you guys have a serious mountain shortage but your coast is so nice. It's the only place where I have eaten pancakes with ice cream on a beach. :)

Hej, welcome. I love Denmark, it's awfully flat, you guys have a serious mountain shortage but your coast is so nice. It's the only place where I have eaten pancakes with ice cream on a beach. :)
Norway got the mountains. Sweden got the forests. We got the beaches.
Fun fact about Denmark. Our Pig to People ratio is roughly 2:1.

Hello and welcome. Good to have you here. Hope you enjoy your time on the forum. We are friendly folks if I do say so myself.

Hi and welcome from the other side of the globe. It sounds like you had quite a battle to get a diagnosis that actually fits you, I'm glad you won in the end.

Last edited:
1678413953953.png

I'm a 32 y/o female from Denmark, who was finally diagnosed at 28.
Before that I've had 2 different "main" diagnosis. First one was Paranoid Schizophrenia at age 16, but that story is too long to post here. That was changed to BPD when I was about 20. And at age 28 I was finally "allowed" by our healthcare system to be examined for autism.
I was diagnosed with Asperger's and ADD, and since the psychiatrist who signed the papers were not just your run-of-the-mill "low ranking" Dr., but actually the Chief Doctor at the regional office in my part of Denmark, the schizophrenia diagnosis was completely deleted with no possibility of it ever returning. I will be thankful to him for the rest of my life, because if you ever had a Schizophrenia diagnosis here, the doctors will always have a certain doubt about your newer diagnosis. But his signature is worth quite a lot in the eyes of his fellow psychiatrists, so that should never be a problem for me again.

I've since received counselling to help me understand what it actually means to have this diagnosis. But I'm not very good at therapy, and since the municipality eventually effed up in the contract they had to sign with therapists office (so I didn't have to pay) - those sessions are now a thing of the past. It's sad, especially because I still have a ton of questions. However, I am an avid Google user, and whenever I google, I often find my answers on this forum. So I decided to join, as it'll be much easier to get the answer I need, when the question comes from me and not somebody else. Hopefully I can also contribute with my knowledge of being misdiagnosed, social anxiety and being born in the last millennium.

To sum it all up: Hej (hi) from Denmark :)
Hi and welcome. I have said this before (as have others), a diagnosis does not change who you are, you are still the same person. What it does is give understanding and perspective, and explains much of you life that you couldn't figure out before.

Welcome! Sorry about your experience with being misdiagnosed initially - and unfortunately that is something that women on the spectrum disproportionately experience.

Glad that you've found answers here and perhaps when you're comfortable we might see you contributing to others' questions as well. :)

Welcome! :)

I'm also female, relatively close to your age (I'm 28), but from the US. I was diagnosed with autism in early childhood but I understand that it is a struggle to get diagnosed at any age. I have also been misdiagnosed with a lot of things!

I hope you find the answers you're looking for here, and please don't be afraid to ask questions because there are many people here (myself included) who are happy to answer them.

Traveling is one of my special interests and I love learning about European countries, so I would love to learn some things about Denmark if you ever want to share :)

Fun fact about Denmark. Our Pig to People ratio is roughly 2:1.

Another fun fact: In addition to lovely beaches you also have the craziest numbers. Halvfemsindstyvende? What on earth is that? ;) I have always suspected that you guys made that system just to mess with your neighbors. That's what you did, isn't it. :D

Last edited:
Hej and Welcome!

I was considering vacationing on one of Denmark’s islands. I had no idea how many islands Denmark has.

I am American, but I have a Swedish grandson and daughter-in-law. So I feel a connection to the area.

I’m so glad you got your diagnosis straightened out.

Hej and Welcome!

I was considering vacationing on one of Denmark’s islands. I had no idea how many islands Denmark has.

Rent a beach house for a week or two, it's lovely and the Danes have lots of beach houses. :) The last one I was in had a indoor swimming pool. That's fancy.

beachhouse.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome! :)

I'm also female, relatively close to your age (I'm 28), but from the US. I was diagnosed with autism in early childhood but I understand that it is a struggle to get diagnosed at any age. I have also been misdiagnosed with a lot of things!

I hope you find the answers you're looking for here, and please don't be afraid to ask questions because there are many people here (myself included) who are happy to answer them.

Traveling is one of my special interests and I love learning about European countries, so I would love to learn some things about Denmark if you ever want to share :)

I can infodump if you want to. But another fun fact about Denmark, is that our flag (Dannebrog) is the worlds oldest national flag in continuous use.

Another fun fact: In addition to lovely beaches you also have the craziest numbers. Halvfemsindstyvende? What on earth is that? ;) I have always suspected that you guys made that system just to mess with your neighbors. That's what you did, isn't it. :D
That's interesting. I was taught to use "Ni og halvfems". Is "halvfemsindstyvende" an older version?

That's interesting. I was taught to use "Ni og halvfems". Is "halvfemsindstyvende" an older version?
99 would be "nioghalvfems" which is the short version of "nioghalvfemsindstyvende".
It's a mix of "halvfemte" which means 4½, "sinde" which means to muliply and "tyve" which is 20. So 90 is actually 4½ times twenty. So when we say 99 we technically say 9 and 4½ times twenty.

Why we do it like that, I have no clue. Your guess is as good as mine :) But I agree that it's confusing for non-native speakers :)

I don't know, we need a Dane to translate and explain. Norwegians have had teams of our best and smartest people studying the Danish numbers for decades and we still don't understand it. I think halvfemsindtyvende means the 90th.. It should have something to do with the number 9 at least. They did this just to mess with us, that's what I think. :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom