• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hearing aid and people judging

Robby

Hey everyone so I've posted a few times about other things and about dealing with mild autism even as a high-functioning person, I have many challenges. Not long ago I got fitted for a hearing aid due to an eardrum blowout a few years ago in an accident, as well as substantial hearing loss due to lots of loud music growing up I was nearly deaf in one ear. It caused me a lot of problems with social interactions and always needing to ask people to repeat themselves and just missing things entirely.

I have to say, the hearing aid has been life changing! Especially for picking up what people say, even people who barely speak above a whisper. I literally hear everything now. But I am struggling a bit with worrying about how people will see me with it in. I have to wear a slightly larger one, and even though it's not really that large, it's still apparent. The other day some guy at work was looking at it and another guy stared at it too. I don't want people to think I'm handicapped or something, which I'm not, but even though it gives me 100% quality of life back, I still worry about people judging me for it. But if people are that shallow, that's their problem, right? I mean I have to wear it to hear.

I won't ever go back to not wearing one because now that I wear it and can hear so well, it's given me my life back literally, but based on a couple of people's funny expressions when looking at me, I still feel self conscious about it. Ah well. I can't control that I suppose. But to anyone out there with hearing loss, I highly recommend trying one, I am hearing better than I ever have in my life now.

Hey everyone so I've posted a few times about other things and about dealing with mild autism even as a high-functioning person, I have many challenges. Not long ago I got fitted for a hearing aid due to an eardrum blowout a few years ago in an accident, as well as substantial hearing loss due to lots of loud music growing up I was nearly deaf in one ear. It caused me a lot of problems with social interactions and always needing to ask people to repeat themselves and just missing things entirely.

I have to say, the hearing aid has been life changing! Especially for picking up what people say, even people who barely speak above a whisper. I literally hear everything now. But I am struggling a bit with worrying about how people will see me with it in. I have to wear a slightly larger one, and even though it's not really that large, it's still apparent. The other day some guy at work was looking at it and another guy stared at it too. I don't want people to think I'm handicapped or something, which I'm not, but even though it gives me 100% quality of life back, I still worry about people judging me for it. But if people are that shallow, that's their problem, right? I mean I have to wear it to hear.

I won't ever go back to not wearing one because now that I wear it and can hear so well, it's given me my life back literally, but based on a couple of people's funny expressions when looking at me, I still feel self conscious about it. Ah well. I can't control that I suppose. But to anyone out there with hearing loss, I highly recommend trying one, I am hearing better than I ever have in my life now.

32 years ago this year, at the age of 8, I had a bad bout of Chicken Pox that made me deaf, and I've had a hearing aid ever since, originally it was an analogue aid, but now they can't get the parts for those so I have a digital aid, I did have 2 at one point but hated it as I was getting called "Radio Allen" at school by dumb ass Bullies, and the powers that be have been trying for years to get me to have 2 again, and I refuse every time because of what happened.

It continuously amazes me that people choose to be ignorant or stupid or downright mean when confronted with a person who has a difference, a disability, call it what you will. I have never worn a hearing aid, but there were and continue to be times that I must use a cane when certain physical issues flare up. And people stare or seem to think that I must explain why I am using a cane when I "look so young to be needing a cane" as if you only get health issues when you are old. Once I was boarding a city bus with my cane, and the driver said, "what's with the third leg?" I didn't know him, didn't feel that he was entitled to a health update as if he were my doctor, so I ignored him and paid my fare and sat down. He at least had the grace to apologize when I disembarked. But when people act entitled to know your personal business, or make comments, it is very irritating indeed!

Yea it's dumb. Some people are just stupid though. I've not had too many issues thus far, one or two funny looks, but most seem to just either not notice it or not care. It's been mostly positive. And it's drastically improved my quality of life I'm hearing everything, not missing total conversations, and not looking dumb any more when people ask me something. I'm speaking lower too, because I realize I don't need to talk loud to hear my own voice. Especially at work, it's really given me confidence back. It amplifies really loud, but I don't mind because it's worth it to hear speech and not miss important things. I'm having to re-wire my whole brain kind of because I'm hearing so much better that I am processing things better and quicker, which makes it kind of a whirlwind. But I feel like a new person!

New Threads

Top Bottom