• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Headbanging

Hylian

Fellow DbD Enjoyer
V.I.P Member
Did anyone head bang as a kid to stim, or does anyone still do that?

I have memories of banging the back of my head against things to stim throughout my childhood, until I was probably 12 or so. I even remember headbanging in a high chair when I was a baby, and being told not to do it by my older siblings.

I don't do it as an adult because it's inappropriate, but I still get the urge to sometimes. If I have a really bad meltdown I also do still bang my head against things, but that's out of frustration and not to stim.

Well, I don't bang into objects such as walls but I do headbang - I'm a metal fan too, so it's pretty explainable.

Did anyone head bang as a kid to stim, or does anyone still do that?

I have memories of banging the back of my head against things to stim throughout my childhood, until I was probably 12 or so. I even remember headbanging in a high chair when I was a baby, and being told not to do it by my older siblings.

I don't do it as an adult because it's inappropriate, but I still get the urge to sometimes. If I have a really bad meltdown I also do still bang my head against things, but that's out of frustration and not to stim.
I do it when I’m at my most stressed. It’s not a stim.

I only bang my head against things or hit my head when I'm frustrated, not as a stim.

The back of head to a wall or chair or whatever is something I still do, I don't pay that much mind as I don't do it hard (and stimming isn't inappropriate). However I will slam my wrists against my forehead or forehead against desk with decent force. I'm glad I don't have a fixation with hitting the ears or temples as I've seen with others. The wrist hit is mostly to process self-hate a bit but forehead to desk can be for other reasons as well. There is a kind of hollow melancholy I have occasionally where the rhythmic pulse and gently rising pain of hitting your head on the desk for a while is comforting. I recommend it I suppose.

The back of head to a wall or chair or whatever is something I still do, I don't pay that much mind as I don't do it hard (and stimming isn't inappropriate). However I will slam my wrists against my forehead or forehead against desk with decent force. I'm glad I don't have a fixation with hitting the ears or temples as I've seen with others. The wrist hit is mostly to process self-hate a bit but forehead to desk can be for other reasons as well. There is a kind of hollow melancholy I have occasionally where the rhythmic pulse and gently rising pain of hitting your head on the desk for a while is comforting. I recommend it I suppose.
I used to (gently) bang my forehead against things to stim as a baby and small child, like the floor or a table. I also sometimes hit my forehead with the palm of my hand if I get a headache, because it distracts from the discomfort. When I have a meltdown I also usually hit my forehead against things, rather than the back of my head. I've gotten concussions from this which is not good.:grimacing:

New Threads

Top Bottom