• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Head tilt?

DogwoodTree

Still here...
Do you tilt your head when you're talking with someone, or walking, or reading?

Today, I was walking in an urban area, and noticed a man about to cross the street. As he walked, he had his head tilted, very much like Rain Man. Obviously I don't know if he is autistic because I didn't ask him, but I realized that I might actually look kind of like this when I tilt my head.

I already knew I tilted my head often during conversations, especially with my therapist, unless I'm consciously controlling the tilt of my head to make sure I'm up straight. But I hadn't thought about how it might look to others and how obvious it might be, and whether it might be an aspie trait.

After researching a while on the internet, most search results talk about some strange head-tilt autism test for babies, so I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on whether this is an autistic thing in adults or not.

So have you noticed this behavior for yourself? If so, when and how often?

RainMan21.jpg

I have never thought of it as an autistic trait, but I do tilt my head pretty often. Mostly when listening to a person talking or watching TV. It just feels comfortable for some reason.

So does the head tilt have anything to do with what you see as well as how you're listening?

I agree that it helps me listen better. But I also prefer to look at people through my peripheral vision, and tilting my head like that helps me do that.

I think there's also something about shyness or insecurity wrapped up in this, too. Not only do I tilt my head to the right, but I also raise my right shoulder--sometimes they even touch, and I don't notice it until my neck starts hurting. It feels like I'm trying to take up less space in the other person's visual field.

Have noticed that I usually do it when listening to something that interests me, I'll stand in front of the television and tilt my head to the left if it's a documentary related to one of my interests. Also do it when more than two people are near me, to focus on their faces, and what they are saying. I don't seem to do it when looking at a computer screen, but do it with artwork at times or turn the piece upside down and tilt my head to look at it from several angles.

I tilt my head while listening to people, sometimes while reading, and sometimes while walking. I have to make a conscious effort not to do it.

So does the head tilt have anything to do with what you see as well as how you're listening?

I agree that it helps me listen better. But I also prefer to look at people through my peripheral vision, and tilting my head like that helps me do that.

I think there's also something about shyness or insecurity wrapped up in this, too. Not only do I tilt my head to the right, but I also raise my right shoulder--sometimes they even touch, and I don't notice it until my neck starts hurting. It feels like I'm trying to take up less space in the other person's visual field.
I was watching an interesting documentary last night, and noticed that I was tilting my head at something that was of intense interest at both visual and auditory levels.

It is important to keep the context in mind because otherwise
you may come to conclusions that are not warranted.

Interesting. I wonder if the interpretation is affected by shoulder position. Pulling my shoulder up and towards my head is usually a sign of insecurity for me, and I'm often doing that along with the head tilt.

So I wonder why the guy yesterday was walking with his head tilted? I guess it could've been something physical?

New Threads

Top Bottom