• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have You Ever Had An Uncommon Diet?

What alternative dietary habits have you followed?

• Vegetarian

• Vegan

• Kosher

• Halal

• Hypoallergenic (Gluten/Dairy/Soy/Nut/etc free)

• Raw Vegan

• Carnivore

• Raw Carnivore

• Macrobiotic

• Something Else (mention it in the comments)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Take the survey, and talk about it in the comments.

How did it go? Were you strict about it? Did you feel healthy?

"raw carnivore" - is that going into a forest, killing an animal with one´s bare hands and eat it how it is, like a wolf? : D I think we don´t have the carnassial tooths for that : D

I love Kosher eating. I sporadically adhere to it. I'll go a couple years of eating regular food, and then return to kosher. For me, it doesn't have to be certified kosher, and sometimes I do eat shellfish or cheeseburgers, because they are legendary. But I really try to avoid pork. I also try to avoid mixing meat and dairy.

In my refrigerator, even when I'm eating pork and everything else, I have three shelves. The top is for Milk products, The middle is for parve (neutral foods like veggies and grains), and The bottom shelf is meat products.

I do use the produce drawers (I know a lot of Jewish people don't). And this has nothing to do with Kosher, but I put vegetables in one drawer, and fruits in the other. As fruit ages, it lets out ethelene gas, which causes vegetables to rot faster. So I keep them separate.

My favorite alterna-diet I ever had was probably back when I was a raw vegan. I ate everything raw, sprouted, dried, juiced, etc. My skin glowed, I had so much energy, and it was fun learning more about nutrients.

I got really bored of that diet, however, because, I mean, come on, raw, sprouted beans and grains aint exactly flavorful.

But sprouted grain seaweed crackers are so tasty! And omg the daily acai bowls and smoothies, I loved it.

Paleo was fun. I ate only what I recognized as food. Meat and vegetables and fruit, with limited grains and beans. I felt really healthy, and the food was delicious. For fun, I mixed in wild harvested foods too, which I already do anyway, but it was on a larger scale.

I also have done Keto, which is kind of different than Paleo, and that wasn't fun. I missed carbs right away.

I spent most of my adult life as a freegan. Which means I ate vegan, usually, but if someone offered me steak or ice cream for free, shucks, I won't turn that down!

Macrobiotics was the worst diet I ever followed. It was bland. I was always hungry. I felt anemic and dizzy most of the time.

I lost a ton of weight, and I had less joint pain, so, yoga was easier. (I was into Yoga and Pilates at the time).

But it's nice not feeling like I'm gonna faint all the time.

Right now, I eat a balanced diet. I make sure there is a quality (usually meat-based, but sometimes bean-based) protein at every meal. I make sure and have a good, hearty carbohydrate with the meat to keep my blood sugar stable, and I always have some kind of vegetable dish, to hold me full, and give good nutrition.

I am about 90 percent kosher, I would say. But If you wanted to feed me surf and turf (steak and shrimp) with a milkshake on the side, I aint turnin that down!

My daughter really likes pork, and asks for it sometimes. I think I may buy pork chops soon, to make her happy. They are tasty. But I try to be kosher style, most of the time.

I guess I'm still sort of a freegan, lol.

Last edited:
"raw carnivore" - is that going into a forest, killing an animal with one´s bare hands and eat it how it is, like a wolf? : D I think we don´t have the carnassial tooths for that : D
Some people eat only raw or rare beef and lamb, with berries and honey, as their diet.

I've got a long history with food. Done it all, just trying to find SOMETHING that didn't irritate my digestive issues. Vegetarianism didn't last long, although I tried it for several years at least 2x. I've discovered a good diet for me is a blend of Zone, Blood Type, and Paleo. While I don't think those diets are the right way for everyone, nor do I believe them to be evidence-backed or scientific in any way, basically the closest I can stay to eating fresh raw fruits and veggies, grass-fed meats, nuts, and healthy fats the better I feel. I do have to stay away from processed sugars, grains of all kinds (I can do rice on rare occasions), any and all chemicals/additives/preservatives, dairy, and most vegetable oils. It's honestly a shorter list to say what I CAN eat than what I DON'T! I have found I HAVE to eat a red-meat protein at least once a day (first meal, typically) to maintain proper functioning. My blood sugar does weird things when I skip meat in the morning.

That said, everything in moderation. My lactose-intolerant self will still go out for gelato with my friends on occasion!

I've got a long history with food. Done it all, just trying to find SOMETHING that didn't irritate my digestive issues. Vegetarianism didn't last long, although I tried it for several years at least 2x. I've discovered a good diet for me is a blend of Zone, Blood Type, and Paleo. While I don't think those diets are the right way for everyone, nor do I believe them to be evidence-backed or scientific in any way, basically the closest I can stay to eating fresh raw fruits and veggies, grass-fed meats, nuts, and healthy fats the better I feel. I do have to stay away from processed sugars, grains of all kinds (I can do rice on rare occasions), any and all chemicals/additives/preservatives, dairy, and most vegetable oils. It's honestly a shorter list to say what I CAN eat than what I DON'T! I have found I HAVE to eat a red-meat protein at least once a day (first meal, typically) to maintain proper functioning. My blood sugar does weird things when I skip meat in the morning.

That said, everything in moderation. My lactose-intolerant self will still go out for gelato with my friends on occasion!
Ooh! I forgot to list paleo. I meant Paleo when I put "carnivore".

I grew up on a beef farm, so I knew what was in the cheap packages after I moved away. I had always wondered how a vegetarian could sit down to peas, potatoes, and a blank space, so one New Year's Eve, when I realized that I had not made any resolutions, I decided to find out what it was like. I liked it. I gave up fish the next year, and then eggs. I still ate cheese for decades, but went vegan about ten years ago. No regrets at all, and the doctors have a hard time believing I don't need prescriptions. I exercise moderately, and also pay attention to getting enough water.

I was in the hospital for three months they were based on a religion, so they served no meat, and I enjoyed it. Health wise I felt a bit off because before that I only ate honeydew and egg whites (ARFID is weird sometimes). The doctors were convinced I was lactose intolerant because the fake cheese made me fart a lot so they would restrict dairy intake.

I like to call my current "diet" the Hamster diet. I like to take small little bites of food throughout the day. The doctor has no complaints of my ways, so I think I'm doing okay.

My diet fits no category because it's just generic and terrible. Can't handle most foods and over the years have lost the appetite for more dishes than I gained. However if it was even slightly easier for me and I wasn't constantly on the brink of anemia from being underweight I'd aspire to veganism. I understand most people eat to maintain themselves, but I couldn't care less about nutrition. Eating as an action is not just about you, it's also about what you're eating. And when eating animal products, you make the statement that you put your life/comfort over theirs. A simple and obvious brutal reality inherent to being here in this natural world, of course. But one I'd love to throw away all the same. It's not the intended angle for the thread, but I think it's a big part of what motivates diet selection.

I was vegan for about a year. I ate cheese 2 or 3 times during that year, though. I don't remember feeling all that much better, generally.

I have a dairy/whey allergy (or at least some sort of reaction to it due to my digestive disorder), so I try to not eat dairy or at least limit it to things with very little whey (so like just cheese and yogurt... lol).

I've tried vegetarian, vegan, keto and carnivore dieting (each only lasting a few months at best) and they all felt horrible. I need a balance or else I'm not me anymore. I guess I mostly eat what people would call a paleo diet, or just whole, real foods, and that's the best for me. Even though I hate having digestive issues, at least it keeps me far away from any type of junk food, most dairy, and anything related to wheat / frankenfoods.

With that said, I can have a keto, vegan, or carnivore meal... but usually I need to follow it up with the opposite later.

I used to be vegetarian for many years. At the time I was strict and yes, I was healthy. Then I started eating some fish and small amounts of meat. Now I eat some meat, but very little compared to most people. I feel that vegetarian dishes are 'safe' meaning they don't have any nasty surprises in the form of bits of fat or chewy cartilage or gristle in them.

I mostly just eat healthy and/or organic foods with the occasional pizza or bag of potato chips or cookies or something. And I eat mostly meat, seafood, and vegetables.

I have had to improve my diet a lot in order to lose weight and it has definitely helped. I was eating too much before, and too much junk food.

In Italia, and in my area almost, is something common eating beef meat and some fishes almost raw with some seasonig.

Since childhood without any tought of being a scandal

I’ve been a vegetarian since I was 13… So that’s about 28 years. It’s never been hard, it just works for me. I did eat as a vegan for a long while in there, but I was not actually doing it in a healthy way, so I’m much better off as just a regular old vegetarian. I rarely call myself that though, and I don’t ever prescribe it to others.

Things have changed a lot through the years though. Where I live there has been an huge growth of vegetarian alternatives for proteins, milks, and cheeses. (definitely not always healthy just because it’s “vegetarian!“)

Take the survey, and talk about it in the comments.

How did it go? Were you strict about it? Did you feel healthy?
In 2017 I participated in a shake diet that had an exercise (walking) and two day fast every two weeks component. I lost 40+ lbs, gained a clarity of mind like never in my life, and was much less anxious.

The program was nearly $500 USD per month and I could not sustain it financially.

Even though common sense said this isn’t practical financially, I can’t get past how great I felt. I really felt good. Like really good.

I can’t help but wonder if I could fashion a program that has the same effect but at a much lower monetary cost?

Vegetarian most of my life so never had a chance to miss meat. Tried vegan and soyfree combo diet for a couple months but was too hard and missed my cheese and dairy terribly.

My favourite diet has been paleo-keto, but as I eat a lot of veggies, fruits, eggs and fish I did not related it with carnivore

Its difficult because carbos are everywhere and I eat out of home a lot, so I eat more bad carbos now like white rice.

I have read many diggestive issues on the posts. I also had a lot, but many of them were/are stress bassed and had nothing to do with diet.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom