• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hatred of team sports

I think as places where we are expected to be team players, and to contribute effectively in organisations, we do sports. It doesn't help if we are already socially handicapped in a sense. It sucks more, if we have motor skills issues, and we may not develop the know-how to pass, kick or shoot a ball.

And all too often, either Aspies are expected to be 'ball boys/girls', or are not placed in any significant role in the team. This only lowers our self-esteem.

Perhaps dance would be a better option for Aspies if they want to be in a team setting, as dances may allow some individuality or flair, but well, I think not really 'being' in a team sport really, really blows.

Geordie, I agree with you that it would be good for some aspies to be involved in dance, but don't forget, developing team co-operation doesn't necessarily have to be in a physical setting. I myself am just not a very kinesthetic person, except on carnival rides, but I still get to be part of a team through being involved in plays and film making and story writing competitions.

Count me in on the sports-hating camp. Reasons already mentioned by other posters. I don't play them, I don't watch them.

The only thing that comes close is cycling, because I like riding bicycles. But I always ride solo. Nobody can interrupt my thoughts when I'm riding solo.

"Everything is for the best" <---There's a version of this in virtually every culture in the world. Some religious people word it as so: "God works in mysterious ways" or spiritual New Age types: "It's all part of The Universe's master plan" (Usually spouted after some terrible random accident or grotesque disease kills someone's 'loved one')

I never know how to respond to that one. Really? I'll tell all those starving famine victims in Somalia to accept their fate because watching your children waste away is for the best. Don't fret over being kidnapped, raped & strangled by some crackpot: your work here is done: god is calling you home: he works in mysterious ways (The crackpot is really a divine emissary). Soo...you lost your job, your spouse bailed on you. you're home is in foreclosure & you're broke? Aww...Cheer up! It's all part of The Universe's master plan.

BS! That platitude is brought to you by your friendly neighbourhood NT (no logic whatsoever!) It absolves society, governments & other entities of having to show tolerance, empathy or compassion (or *GASP* prevent corrupt banks & lenders from benefiting after having preyed upon you) or open their wallets or help in other ways. Lost your home because an illness prevented you from working? TURN THAT FROWN UPSIDE DOWN! The Universe (all that dark matter with its meteorites, planets, stars & other stuff) has a better plan for you.

What genius concocted this expression? When someone's life is in the crapper, their kid dies or a freak accident causes unfathomable destruction, a platitude definitely won't help. I 'get' that some of those who say this are trying to promote optimism, but some events just suck. When I don't know what to say in the face of someone's suffering, I'll at least admit it & say, "Gosh! I really don't know what to say! What a terrible loss!" You won't find that written in a sympathy card, but its sincere, its the truth as I know it at the time & it assigns no blame, credits no invisible entities & acknowledges the awfulness of the event.

I see how soup went from a to b and I understand it perfectly. Somehow, I can't explain it. It must be Aspie-encoded. :)

I see how soup went from a to b and I understand it perfectly. Somehow, I can't explain it. It must be Aspie-encoded. :)

Maybe because he talked about certain misfortunes being part of the master plan, and being left out of team activities is one of these misfortunes? I could sort of sense a connection, but I suspected it might have been accidental, as it was.

Geordie, I agree with you that it would be good for some aspies to be involved in dance, but don't forget, developing team co-operation doesn't necessarily have to be in a physical setting.

It's very assuring to know there are various ways in building team co-operation, not just dance. To the best of my impressions, New Zealand has the best dance teams in the world, from hip hop, ballet/ballroom, to even their own haka dances. Australia has world-beating sports teams. Both countries really emphasise a lot on team building, so far I heard.

Still, sports could rob us the opportunities to enjoy the feeling of being in a team, as Aspies may have limited contributions to the team.

Team sports? Pah. The only Team Sport I despite is NASCAR, and that is because of Autism Speaks. I wish I could watch it without my stomach churning. Others I dislike, but I aint no fool you know?

Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it because of Denny Hamlin's car, the race benefiting Autism Speaks, or is there more to it?

It's very assuring to know there are various ways in building team co-operation, not just dance. To the best of my impressions, New Zealand has the best dance teams in the world, from hip hop, ballet/ballroom, to even their own haka dances. Australia has world-beating sports teams. Both countries really emphasise a lot on team building, so far I heard.

Still, sports could rob us the opportunities to enjoy the feeling of being in a team, as Aspies may have limited contributions to the team.

Oh yeah Geordie, without doubt, Aussies love their sport make no mistake, we take it seriously and expect to win ; ]

Here in Australia we mercilessly take the piss (make fun of) everybody for everything from the basic greeting all the way up to the prime minister, everything can be had a go at because that’s just the way we are, but, when it comes to being part of a team and looking out for your mates, that's where we excel. We are at heart a very generous and giving country by and large and that shows up in our sporting ethic too.

I would have to say that an Aspergical person would probably do better at team sport for the reason of, being in a team, the focus is not on the Aspie and they can analyse and evaluate to their hearts content until it is their turn, then utilise that to be a more efficient team member... maybe.

I still hate sport though ; ]

Oh yeah Geordie, without doubt, Aussies love their sport make no mistake, we take it seriously and expect to win ; ]

Here in Australia we mercilessly take the piss (make fun of) everybody for everything from the basic greeting all the way up to the prime minister, everything can be had a go at because that’s just the way we are, but, when it comes to being part of a team and looking out for your mates, that's where we excel. We are at heart a very generous and giving country by and large and that shows up in our sporting ethic too.

I would have to say that an Aspergical person would probably do better at team sport for the reason of, being in a team, the focus is not on the Aspie and they can analyse and evaluate to their hearts content until it is their turn, then utilise that to be a more efficient team member... maybe.

I still hate sport though ; ]

While I'm happy for those Australians that love their sport and can feel one with those huge crowds of supporters, I always feel misrepresented as an Australian by statements like - "we are a nation obsessed with sport" - no we're not, we're a nation with many sport fans. It's like saying "Earth is a planet full of ocean" because 70% of it is ocean, and it's easier to think of it that way. Funny how neurotypicals always go by the numbers, except when it doesn't suit them.

Can anyone elaborate on this? Is it because of Denny Hamlin's car

Yes. He and his car are supporting an activity and a rich but incoherent organisation, that some of us Aspies think will harm our interests, and may make us more ostracised. I acknowledge, though, some Aspies doesn't mean all Aspies. So let's just be respectful of different Aspies and their views, yeah?

But personally, I like F1 (the non-American version fo NASCAR) and NASCAR, and I like Dale Earnhardt Jr. casually.

With a patient coaching and team system in place, who knows the next Aussie sport superstar would be Australia's very own Mario Balotelli (a soccer superstar), Dan Carter or maybe LeBron James? A superstar nowadays adds value to the team, thorugh his goals/blocks and his ability to improve the other players on the team around him, to make the team be world-beaters, something which the three aforementioned players do to theiir teams.

Ironically, though, recent Australian soccer and basketball teams are weaker than they had been in the past, even though they're still one of the best in the Asia-Pacific region. In my opinion, it doesn't help that newer players on the Australian basketball or soccer national teams may not be as good as they were many moons ago, as I seem to see on TV (or, in basketball, the friendly games against China last year) - something which could discourage Australian sports fans in such sports.

Oh, as for rugby union, I really hope the Wallabies will find a way to slow down, and hopefully, win over the All Blacks more often.

I always feel misrepresented as an Australian by statements like - "we are a nation obsessed with sport" - no we're not, we're a nation with many sport fans. It's like saying "Earth is a planet full of ocean" because 70% of it is ocean, and it's easier to think of it that way.

I agree. Irl I know more than a handful Australians who don't follow sports, or do sports. They're mostly surprised I follow more sports stuff than them, even as I still live in Singapore.

While I'm happy for those Australians that love their sport and can feel one with those huge crowds of supporters, I always feel misrepresented as an Australian by statements like - "we are a nation obsessed with sport" - no we're not, we're a nation with many sport fans. It's like saying "Earth is a planet full of ocean" because 70% of it is ocean, and it's easier to think of it that way. Funny how neurotypicals always go by the numbers, except when it doesn't suit them.

hehehe I also feel misrepresented (in the context you suggest), so maybe I should amend that previous statement huh, I mean it does seem to be a little too all encompassing:

Oh yeah Geordie, possibly without doubt in my own opinion only, some Aussies who may or may not be a minority, love, or at least like a little bit, their sport, and make no mistake (or do so if you wish). We theoretically but not specifically, may take it more seriously or less seriously than others that take seriously, things such as this and potentially, usually after a lot of hard work and sacrifice we expect to, but are not disappointed if we don't, win ; ]

Sometimes you just have to laugh at yourself huh ; ]

Oh, and I STILL hate sports :rolleyes2:

I can't understand how many sports work. Football is beyond me, Volleyball is baffling & I can't understand how basketball is scored & what the different positions are. I just see lanky skinny men with floppy hands & feet scrambling awkwardly after a ball. Boxing disgusts me & those mixed martial arts fighting competitions seem draconian & barbaric to me. When I live, hockey is so deeply embedded into the culture that it is hard to overstate its importance. Many people remember milestones in their lives in terms of what was happening in hockey at the time! Someone might say, "my son was born the year they traded___________. " It does have a unifying effect in that new immigrants become fans & find a common 'touchstone' with people born here. People speak Hockeyese using expressions & metaphors from the game. This was the only team sport I could actually understand & play as a kid. It required minimal communication & everyone knew what they were supposed to do. You could be a big awkward goon, a big heavy guy, a tall rangy person or a small quick sprite & be useful.

I like to watch gymnastics and skating, but to be perfectly honest, the girls' skimpy outfits have something to do with it. In high school, I wrestled and ran cross country. I was on a team in a sense, but they aren't really team sports

I like to watch gymnastics and skating, but to be perfectly honest, the girls' skimpy outfits have something to do with it. In high school, I wrestled and ran cross country. I was on a team in a sense, but they aren't really team sports

I imagine you'd still be able to bond as a team wouldn't you - sharing tactics and successes and whatnot?

That's a tough skillset for Aspies to manage. Hats off to you, ChristianT if you can pull it off!

The worst sport for me was volleyball. I was ridiculously small & skinny as a teen & the other girls were all so much bigger boned & taller than I. The ball would come crashing at me as if it had been shot from a cannon & the teacher actually expected me to stand right in its path & let it land on my inner wrists! What kind of a nut did he think I was?!? I kept leaping out of the way & covering my head whenever that ball came crashing. Another weird rule in that sport is that the ball has to be hit from one team mate from another before someone hits it over the net. I could never keep track of whom to hit it to, how many times it had bounced from person to person & whose turn it was to send it over the net. Then, for no apparent reason, the teacher would make us rotate & change positions. The inventors ov volleyball must've been hopped up on hallucinogens!

Get your drift King-oni-fair play can be so boring and predictable. everyone pontificates about steroids-if everyone took them then that would be fair would it not. How about putting all football hooligans in an arena and play last man standing-then when there's only one left-the spectators get to shoot him-just a thought! I'm always a tad blood thirsy after meeting family! in the Uk if you are a good football/soccer player you are seen as some kind of hero and role model-the fact that most can't string a sentence together or a coherent thought makes no odds here-celebrity culture gone mad-that's another post though.please excuse spelling grammar and punctuation today.

New Threads

Top Bottom