• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jenisautistic

V.I.P Member
If you had tutoring in your lives,what was it like and how did you feel about it? was there any other training like tutoring stuff you did like maybe therapies like PT or OT or speech?
I don't remember too much about speech therapy but I do remember having a seit I remember having speech therapy long after as well when I was a teenager I had PT and OT for as long as I can remember up until six for PT and eighth for OT except when I was in a children's rehabilitation center which is like a regular Children's Hospital but for physical therapy and stuff like that displays also this place/ hospital also has its school district mostly had the full-fledged curriculum and even honors in college classes I believe

It kind of reminds me of Saint Judes or Shriners

anyway let me get back on track I had a reading tutor in my other high school my second high school that I was officially accepted and I had a reading tutor
Also when I was younger I was pulled out for reading in math and things like that from my IEP
I don't remember much of having a reading tutor in high school because I rarely was able to have the service
right now I am trying to get a tutor for reading and writing and anything that I can within that sort of subject though vocational rehab and I wonder what it might be like also I wonder if they will except and be able to help me get better and how far I could possibly go with this

Hi @Jenniautistic, I had speech therapy when I was six. The therapist tried to make it fun. She used tiny marshmallows and tried to have me speak with a marshmallow on my tongue. Only, I didn't like marshmallows. Eventually, she was happy with my progress and I moved on in life. But by the time I moved on, I had eaten quite a number of those little marshmallows. While they're still not my favorite thing to eat, they did help me to speak more clearly.

Congratulations on your looking forward to your next adventure! Even though your new reading and writing tutor probably won't keep any marshmallows on hand, someday--months from now--they, too, will be happy with your progress and will move you on in life. And when that day happens, you can know that you will be reading more and writing better than you are today.

Good luck to you!

When I was a teenager, my grandmother was very ill. I think I was fifteen when my father pulled me out of school to stay with her. My grandfather was also very ill, and my dad needed to take him to the VA and other places every day. And so it was just Gramma and me, in her pretty trailer, out in the desert, watching tv, doing nails, playing cards, and napping.

In California at the time, if you weren't in school, you went to an "independent study" center and got assigned work once a week, to do at home.

It was nice, going in and picking out my classes. They let me do the work at my own pace, and were very supportive. When I finally went back to regular high school, I was ahead of the other students.

I really enjoyed it. Beforehand I had gotten behind in my credits. The teachers at Independent Study were so supportive and helpful. I learned that I loved science and literature. It was a great joy. I could sit out under the olive trees and do my homework in the cool of the morning, and be done by 10 or 11 am.

My experience with Independent Study was a great drive towards my desire to homeschool my own daughter. A lot of the strategies that I used in homeschooling were what the teachers in Independent Study used with me.

I had speech therapy when I was younger (ages 7-12). I also had a tutor during the same age bracket because I struggled with fine motskills but at the time, it was parental decision to get me the help, never school.

i also had a major breakdown when I hit 16. And ended up dropping out of school to continue my education in homeschooling.

New Threads

Top Bottom