• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hard Science Fiction

Lee954

I like hard sci-fi because it concentrates on ideas and not people and their relationships. So much of recent sci-fi on TV and in films has merely been soap opera set in space or the future. Do you agree with this analysis?

I agree, but personally i prefer stories about people and relationships. Probably because I'm not a very scientific person, scientific theory can be fascinating if I'm in the mood- might watch the occasional physics documentary- but that's not very often, so I guess I'm just a casual sci-fi fan who watches stuff like Doctor Who, Star Wars and Cowboy Bebop but doesn't get too invested in the actual science side of things. I have a friend who's really into hard science fiction though.

Syfy is hit or miss with me. I'm more of a horror guy so sci-fi horror usually works for me. There are a few purely science fiction films that I like but they are usually old like Donnie Darko or Existenze.

I like hard scifi, but I don't rely on it exclusively. If you exclude ideas that we don't have the science for yet, then you miss out on a lot of interesting plots and settings. As long as magic A still equals magic A, I'm good.

Good hard SF is as hard to find as a tribble! Huge Star Trek fan, too. I'm big into the tech side of Trek. Weapons, propulsion, life support, transporters, ship classes, size, mass, spaceframe and hull materials, I could go on & on. I've designed a few, too.

My best ship design was the America-class
Intrepid size, Defiant weapons and shields, Sovereign power and range. I need to put it on the internet, but don't know how. I also like crossover SF.

It was Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed that truly opened my mind to how great science fiction can be. The Lathe of Heaven is awesome too.

New Threads

Top Bottom