• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Handwriting issues

For those diagnosed with ASD, do you have handwriting problems?

• Total voters
I have horrible handwriting, I mean by far the worst, I have ever seen, When I came upon my discovery about my Aspergers early this year, I came across some information about a comorbid condition I believe I have, I can't find it now and I forget what it was called specifically but I do remember it started with a D

I have also had major issues with, spelling and sentence and paragraph structure which was all included in this thing, It was very hard for me to learn noun pronouns and all the other things in regards to words

On the other hand, I have always been good at math

...I came across some information about a comorbid condition I believe I have, I can't find it now and I forget what it was called specifically but I do remember it started with a D...

Possibly Dysgraphia? That is a Handwriting disorder they've come up with in the last few years.

I definitely have dysgraphia. If I take my time, my handwriting is legible but "messy" among other adjectives. If I have to rush through it like I usually do, it's almost completely illegible.

My handwriting also looks the same when I write with either hand. I believe the proper term for this is ambisinistrous.

In high school, there were so many times that I had all the answers right, but they kept getting marked wrong because the teachers couldn't read my handwriting, so I started turning in type-written assignments. This was the mid-eighties. I was the only student turning in type-written assignments.

I've always had writing problems, it's not great to look at and I jumble the order of words and the sentences.
In early school I had a pen taken off me by teachers and told
I don't deserve a pen .
I was given a pencil while others had pens .
I chewed my pencil and split it long ways .

I dare not say my pencil broke , I held it together with my grip .
It was for so long that I grip a pen like that still.

The pressure of school .

Do I have handwriting problems? Did Archimedes dig math?

Yes, if I am being rushed, and yes if the glitch in me shows up that makes me question which hand to write with...

Left handed reasonably neat but slower (mostly left handed but can write with either). Right handed is faster, yet it looks like shorthand written with my toes, but I can read it easily... I tend to write up hill with a left slant no matter which hand, so the paper is always crooked if I need to make it not look like its not blowing off the page.

Zero cursive... I have this thing with it. I dislike it deeply and don't really even know why. I got in trouble a lot in school because of it. I was determined to write my way, and I did no matter how bad of trouble it got me in. I guess that was just how I was comfortable with a messed up situation?

Thank goodness for key boards today, because I write out very little by hand now and thats good for everyone involved... : )

I've always had writing problems, it's not great to look at and I jumble the order of words and the sentences.
In early school I had a pen taken off me by teachers and told
I don't deserve a pen .
I was given a pencil while others had pens .
I chewed my pencil and split it long ways .

I dare not say my pencil broke , I held it together with my grip .
It was for so long that I grip a pen like that still.

The pressure of school .

Some people simply don't need to be teachers... My teacher hated my guts because I was the only left handed kid, and I caused her to have to work harder I guess. She would try and force me to write right handed (so would my dad)... I still have no idea what their issue was? I still don't really care either... : )

Zero cursive... I have this thing with it. I dislike it deeply and don't really even know why. I got in trouble a lot in school because of it. I was determined to write my way, and I did no matter how bad of trouble it got me in.
Same here. It was one ot the things I simply refused to do, along with country dancing. Eventually, they gave up and decided not to insist on it and let me write how I wanted.

My hadriting is messy, but just about legible. I apparently don't hold my pen in a normal way, and also can't write very fast.

Last edited:
Zero cursive... I have this thing with it. I dislike it deeply and don't really even know why. I got in trouble a lot in school because of it.

I learned cursive early but was never really good with it. I can read it but almost literally nobody else can. It doesn't help matters any that 1) cursive is outdated and not even taught in schools anymore, and 2) I learned an even older form of cursive that I cribbed from the letters of elderly relatives who lived overseas. I tried to write in this ornate, looping style that wasn't taught in the US, and probably wasn't taught anywhere since 1940, and I didn't have the dexterity for it.

Fortunately, the last time I was required to use cursive for anything was when I was taking the GRE a couple decades back. They made us write out a statement in cursive and then sign our names to it, basically as proof that it was us taking the test. Even then, my first thought was "well, crap" because it had been years since I last used cursive.

I'm sure I've forgotten it completely by now.

I was the only student turning in type-written assignments.

Still better than having Mom Handwriting(TM) on your assignments. I knew other autistic kids whose moms redid their assignments, because the kids' own handwriting was deemed too messy to be turned in. I would have been one of these kids, but I was too embarrassed. I would rather have my own scratchy handwriting on my assignments, no matter how messy and illegible it was, than have handwriting on it that obviously came from my mom.

Yes, I have always had trouble with handwriting through my life. It's like my hands "shake" as I write, even if I am being careful. For example, when I write the letter "p," the vertical stroke is not a straight line, but a curvy or shakey one. This happens even if my hands are not shaking at all. I never got better at keeping my hands still.

Yes, I have always had trouble with handwriting through my life. It's like my hands "shake" as I write, even if I am being careful. For example, when I write the letter "p," the vertical stroke is not a straight line, but a curvy or shakey one. This happens even if my hands are not shaking at all. I never got better at keeping my hands still.

My Handwriting has always looked a bit shaky, well, not smooth and even anyway. My grandmother had Parkinson's disease. She shook so bad in her hands you couldn't read it, and her head so bad that it rattled against the glass she was drinking from. Occasionally I shake in my hand, but it is usually because of the particular stress it is in at the moment. I'm sure it's not parkinsons, but that still looms in the recesses of my mind at times. I can't read my Handwriting after about 2-3 lines, on a good day. Printing is not much better. It goes with age.

Yes, my handwriting is less than par. I've had people say I should be a doctor because of my poor handwriting.

My handwriting's odd, partly due to it being a hybrid of two different writing styles. I was taught Cursive, then changed schools and had to learn Italic. I was best in the class in the latter as it is very precise; but it's also slow and cumbersome, and when I went to senior school, changed back to Cursive, but still with some Italic traits. These days, I tend to write in capitals. As I'm a grammar nerd, I try to write bigger capitals where I would use capitals normally, but you can't always distinguish between the two, and gaps between words and letters tend to be erratic.

New Threads

Top Bottom