• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

gym thoughts/staying active

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
In short, I'm currently looking for a flexible physical component with an implied emotional component in a way that I like to balance. Maybe this is not possible- this idea of some physical activity that's not entirely consistent but is more than nothing.

'===========

I'm currently looking into personal training, because I don't want to be part of a gym during covid time. I also don't want to join a gym right now because I don't feel I'd want to use it enough. Ironically, I think being part of a gym would afford me the opportunity to have a trainer more sporadically rather than consistently.

So, maybe since I want convenience over consistency, a personal trainer won't want to work with me unless they can't get someone else even if I'm willing to schedule my sessions sporadically months in advance?
I know that joining a gym would afford that option more but I don't feel like I want to be part of a gym right now because of covid and I would feel like I'm just wasting my money.

Since covid started, I've been doing 100 sit-ups a day. I know it isn't much, but it's better than what I was doing before, lol.

When I was walking to work when I had to go to the office, I probably walked about 1 mile total. It certainly didn't hurt, but I don't feel walking helped me that much if at all. Last year, I walked/ran 14 miles in a day one time. When I was walking, I was fine. My legs have some strength. So maybe I should be trying to jog/run instead since I feel like walking doesn't do much for me?

I want to stay relatively/slightly active, but I don't want it to become my life. I think it's possible to obtain all these things, but maybe I'm asking for too much if I don't go at it totally on my own or just throw money out that I won't really get the benefit for?

On another forum, a poster said I needed to focus on diet and consistency. In addition to this, apparently I wasn't drinking enough water, and lacking the energy to keep doing the exercises so consistently. So, I wasn't getting happy or feeling good like people would say you feel after an exercise. I think there are so many things like this that get in the way. I feel like I'm not able to find an in-between where I want to be slightly active but not make it my life. I think it's possible, but not easy. I may need to do it on my own. I don't know if most personal trainers are okay with a lack of consistency unless they don't have a lot of clients.

I was in a dodgeball league before covid. While the activity was good for me, and my stamina slowly built up, I didn't enjoy the league itself. It lacked personality for building anything socially for me. I couldn't "compete" with cliques of people that knew each other since childhood and that didn't want anyone else in. I stuck around for a decent amount of time and tried to build this and that. There were a few other league sports I tried. Even if I was able to assert myself in a conversation, even if I was a bit stronger than a few of my teammates, it didn't matter. It's like I'm a female for those females or I just didn't know this person or that. Or this person has something personal in their own lives that makes them hold back. Or these two people are married and don't want to be around a single person.

I've tried to do this for a variety of activities on the active outstretch and on non-physical aspects as well before and during that as well.

There's a part of me that just wants to be accepted for me, and just for people to care about each other more. I don't think there's enough of this.

I want to go more at my own pace. But maybe what I want is just not possible unless I'm doing it all for myself. I know if I do things myself, it won't be as good. But I might be happier because this might be the new balance that I need in my life. This way, when things come up, I can more easily stay flexible in making time for people/events that can/might matter for me.

Last edited:
Guess my exercise is for me. I don't really attach anything else to it. l don't need a personal connection. But the gym feels a little bit scary these days.

th
This is what I use each morning. I do currently 13 laps with my legs and plan each month, to go up by one number, so next month, will do 14.

I also have a stationary exercise bike, which is great for the heart and use that each day, too.

covid friendly solo running/jogging has been a great activity plan for me, guess depending on your area I have forest trails and quite streets located close to my place.

Consistency is key. You can walk in your yard in a lap twenty times everyday. Wearing a pirate hat. Eventually if your constant you'll notice the difference.

th
This is what I use each morning. I do currently 13 laps with my legs and plan each month, to go up by one number, so next month, will do 14.

I also have a stationary exercise bike, which is great for the heart and use that each day, too.

Someone lives underneath me. So, I don't feel comfortable using stuff like that. Some of my flooring is hardwood floor too and I don't want to break it.

covid friendly solo running/jogging has been a great activity plan for me, guess depending on your area I have forest trails and quite streets located close to my place.
I can run. I live in a quiet neighborhood. I haven't enjoyed it as I would run out of energy unnaturally. I recently figured out it was because I was dehydrated. So, I have been trying to drink more ever since and it has definitely helped. I think it's a process though.

If I was in the city, if it wasn't a bad section, I could still run as well. Just would have to watch out for more things basically and deal with more noises which I can.

I just walk every day, have never actually measured how far I walk (ie. on my phone), but I would guess I walk a fair distance on an average day... I can be out for up to three hours some days... My only struggle, in a small way, is staying active the rest of the day spent inside a small apartment...

I just walk every day, have never actually measured how far I walk (ie. on my phone), but I would guess I walk a fair distance on an average day... I can be out for up to three hours some days... My only struggle, in a small way, is staying active the rest of the day spent inside a small apartment...
3 hours a day is a lot of time.

3 hours a day is a lot of time.

Just playing around with a mapping app, it's entirely possible that most days I'm walking 5 to 8 kilometres, over anywhere from two to four hours in length... Obviously it's not "just" walking the entire time, they are my photo walks... How long does it take a photographer to walk five blocks? At least 30 minutes, because there is so much to stop and photograph along the way... :D

When I was walking to work when I had to go to the office, I probably walked about 1 mile total. It certainly didn't hurt, but I don't feel walking helped me that much if at all. Last year, I walked/ran 14 miles in a day one time. When I was walking, I was fine. My legs have some strength. So maybe I should be trying to jog/run instead since I feel like walking doesn't do much for me?

Walking is a perfectly fine activity on its own, if you find you have no difficulties, then you can either add to the distance, go faster, or both.

Running just speeds it up and asks more risks of injury - and elite racewalkers go faster than the majority of runners.

Thomas Jefferson said:
Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far... There is no habit you will value so much as that of walking far without fatigue. I would advise you to take your exercise in the afternoon. Not because it is the best time for exercise for certainly it is not: but because it is the best time to spare from your studies; and habit will soon reconcile it to health, and render it nearly as useful as if you gave to that the more precious hours of the day. A little walk of half an hour in the morning when you first rise is adviseable also. It shakes off sleep, and produces other good effects...
Source for Thomas Jefferson quote

In short, I'm currently looking for a flexible physical component with an implied emotional component in a way that I like to balance. Maybe this is not possible- this idea of some physical activity that's not entirely consistent but is more than nothing.

'===========

I'm currently looking into personal training, because I don't want to be part of a gym during covid time. I also don't want to join a gym right now because I don't feel I'd want to use it enough. Ironically, I think being part of a gym would afford me the opportunity to have a trainer more sporadically rather than consistently.

So, maybe since I want convenience over consistency, a personal trainer won't want to work with me unless they can't get someone else even if I'm willing to schedule my sessions sporadically months in advance?
I know that joining a gym would afford that option more but I don't feel like I want to be part of a gym right now because of covid and I would feel like I'm just wasting my money.

Since covid started, I've been doing 100 sit-ups a day. I know it isn't much, but it's better than what I was doing before, lol.

I want to stay relatively/slightly active, but I don't want it to become my life. I think it's possible to obtain all these things, but maybe I'm asking for too much if I don't go at it totally on my own or just throw money out that I won't really get the benefit for?

On another forum, a poster said I needed to focus on diet and consistency. In addition to this, apparently I wasn't drinking enough water, and lacking the energy to keep doing the exercises so consistently. So, I wasn't getting happy or feeling good like people would say you feel after an exercise. I think there are so many things like this that get in the way. I feel like I'm not able to find an in-between where I want to be slightly active but not make it my life. I think it's possible, but not easy. I may need to do it on my own. I don't know if most personal trainers are okay with a lack of consistency unless they don't have a lot of clients.

I was in a dodgeball league before covid. While the activity was good for me, and my stamina slowly built up, I didn't enjoy the league itself. It lacked personality for building anything socially for me. I couldn't "compete" with cliques of people that knew each other since childhood and that didn't want anyone else in. I stuck around for a decent amount of time and tried to build this and that. There were a few other league sports I tried. Even if I was able to assert myself in a conversation, even if I was a bit stronger than a few of my teammates, it didn't matter. It's like I'm a female for those females or I just didn't know this person or that. Or this person has something personal in their own lives that makes them hold back. Or these two people are married and don't want to be around a single person.

I've tried to do this for a variety of activities on the active outstretch and on non-physical aspects as well before and during that as well.

There's a part of me that just wants to be accepted for me, and just for people to care about each other more. I don't think there's enough of this.

I want to go more at my own pace. But maybe what I want is just not possible unless I'm doing it all for myself. I know if I do things myself, it won't be as good. But I might be happier because this might be the new balance that I need in my life. This way, when things come up, I can more easily stay flexible in making time for people/events that can/might matter for me.
i'm into the physical aspects of training,based on martial arts,pushing myself to be the healthiest in the entire city where i'm from.but because of my asthma,i end up limiting that.

New Threads

Top Bottom