• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Grey Areas

In social situations, they drive me crazy because what is grey to me is often perfectly clear to whoever I'm with.

If I'm not dealing with other people, they don't cause me any problems. Most of life is grey. Be prudent and roll with it.

In social situations, they drive me crazy because what is grey to me is often perfectly clear to whoever I'm with.

If I'm not dealing with other people, they don't cause me any problems. Most of life is grey. Be prudent and roll with it.

It is funny but I often have the opposite thoughts about situations, as in they are very black and white to me but grey to everyone else. The problem is my reactions are often extreme and unrealistic and I have had to learn the mid range. It doesn't come natural.

I'm not getting what sort of uneasiness you mean? Do you mean, uneasiness with, for example, boundaries of behaviour?

It depends on the situation but yes. I have a hard time with unclear expectations. I want crystal clear expectations. I will double and triple check to make sure I understand exactly what the expectations are (I understand that this annoys some people) because I don't want to do the wrong thing because something wasn't clear.

In situations where I'm just expected to know these things I get not only uncomfortable, but angry that the expectation exists in the first place.

What do you mean by "grey areas"?

The only times I've seen things actually described as "grey areas" I've always thought "no those are completely clear, not grey areas at all". It seems like a term people use in an attempt to justify clearly immoral or inappropriate behaviour (e.g. "grey areas" in sexual consent).

I am extremely uncomfortable and anxious when I'm unsure of what's expected of me or what I should be doing, but I've gotten to the point where I can usually ask for clarification when I need to.

For grey areas in social conventions, I would need some examples before I could say.

Gray areas, not sure. l am very comfortable with purple areas. l love purple areas. l like cat areas. I like mr handsome and whatever area he occupies.

I tend to have black and white thinking all day long. A grey area for me is agreeing to disagree with someone because I don't want to argue.

Ed

Grey areas if possible I copy others behaviour which is usually extremely tactful and distant. If there's no model to copy tread very carefully.

I have black and white thinking.
It's either this way or that and I can't understand those 50 shades of grey inbetween. :D

It depends on the situation but yes. I have a hard time with unclear expectations. I want crystal clear expectations. I will double and triple check to make sure I understand exactly what the expectations are (I understand that this annoys some people) because I don't want to do the wrong thing because something wasn't clear.

In situations where I'm just expected to know these things I get not only uncomfortable, but angry that the expectation exists in the first place.
But isn't it strange, I noticed each person has different expectations so if they aren't precise even a NT could make mistakes and not think or do it the same way.

I tend to have black and white thinking all day long. A grey area for me is agreeing to disagree with someone because I don't want to argue.

Ed
I guess autistic people will strongly disagree with each other if they have different opinions, and they will be very opposite. That means they might argue easier and tolerate those views less.

Weirdly, I tend to think everything has gray areas. I see both sides, all sides, often. This has frequently been interpreted by others as being either argumentative or negative. I say, " but on the other hand..." all the time in conversations. By now I should have learned to just agree or shut up. But I think its interesting and fun to toss around different perspectives. Too bad most people don't think so.

Does anyone here get uneasy about grey areas, grey areas in general?
I do like to have known expectations in social situations. It's easier. But when discussing, and thinking about, larger issues then I tend to reside in the grey areas.

I'm not usually fond of extreme views and also I have a tendency to try to perceive things from other points of view. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with them. Sometimes I may partially agree or I might not at all. But I've often had people assume and even accuse me 'why are you supporting that?' That's black and white thinking with no understanding of the huge grey areas that make up our lives.

Weirdly, I tend to think everything has gray areas. I see both sides, all sides, often. This has frequently been interpreted by others as being either argumentative or negative. I say, " but on the other hand..." all the time in conversations. By now I should have learned to just agree or shut up. But I think its interesting and fun to toss around different perspectives. Too bad most people don't think so.

Same. This is most problematic in politics. God forbid you understand that both "sides" of an issue have valid points and that we should be building bridges instead of tearing each other apart. *rolls eyes*

New Threads

Top Bottom