• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Google To Impose Block To All Third-Party Adblocker Extensions

Judge

V.I.P Member
It's called "manifest V3".

The bad news: It will impact the most popular web browser on the market: Google Chrome.
The good news: It doesn't impact non-chrome browsers like Firefox at all.
The question mark: "Brave" while extremely privacy-oriented, uses the chrome browser engine. Whether they can develop workarounds or not remains to be seen.

Well, that's a genius way to drive people into the welcoming arms of their competition. Shouldn't this be posted in the 'WHAT is the stupidest thing u can think of' thread?;)

Well, that's a genius way to drive people into the welcoming arms of their competition. Shouldn't this be posted in the 'WHAT is the stupidest thing u can think of' thread?;)
It's a classic business mentality you'll likely run into with corporations that perceive themselves to be a monopoly. Even if and when technically it's not really true. Arrogance cubed. :rolleyes:

All compounded by who they perceive as their primary competitor- another monopoly. Both Google and Microsoft seemed locked in a competition to harvest the world's data, whether we like it or not. With search engines, mail servers and operating systems as the bait.

Making the answer to the question why abundantly clear: "Because we can." :mad:

Last edited:
I never liked Chrome anyway. No matter what computer i've ever used it on, it is ALWAYS slow and laggy and unresponsive, with or without adblock. I don't even give it extensions, either, it just is always crappy to me.

Now, FireFox, that's a web browser. I have it on my computer now and even though it still tries to act like chrome sometimes, 9 times out of 10 it does not and actually works and does what it is supposed do. Not only that but I also discovered a while back that ANY TIME I use Chrome at all, if i pull up Task Manager and go to Processes I'll see upwards of FORTY PLUS processes coming from Chrome. I wouldn't even be on a website when this happens; why does Chrome need forty of itself just to watch a 3 second youtube video?!?! I've nevr seen Firefox do that. It's mucb more reliable, and there is am adblocker out there for Firefox as well (okay there's actually hundreds but anything that's not the very top of Google is always a coinflip for taking a hit by a virus)

I've had no issues with using Brave and its "Tor", though Firefox remains my primary browser.

On rare occasion I've used Microsoft Edge, but then I'm seldom on Windows anymore, preferring to use Linux Mint 20.3 and 21.0 and their licensed version of Firefox.

Honestly there's been more than a few hyper-derp moments from big companies like this recently. Like Facebook and their stupid metaverse program, which is called Horizons... something or other. They put absolutely insane amounts of money into it, and it comes out looking like the most soulless, low-quality thing you could get, and is completely outdone in quality and visuals by its entirely free competitor, VRChat. But Facebook's out of touch execs, as always, cant grasp the problem. Whole internet has been laughing at this for quite awhile now and it just keeps getting funnier. Last I heard, they are having to specifically order their employees to love the program. Not order them to USE it. Order them to LOVE it. It's THAT bad.

As for Google, honestly I dont think it's going to work as they think. Sooner or later someone is going to come up with a way to crack through Chrome's anti-adblock wall (and looking it up, it seems AdGuard is already getting there, which means others are soon to follow).

And those who cant get adblockers are going to get progressively more and more irritated and angry about it.

As usual, the dinosaurs that run companies like that one cant grasp the idea that shoving useless garbage into the consumer's face when they're in the middle of an exciting show is not exactly a good way to get them to buy the garbage in the ad, or continue using the platform the ad is appearing on.

I bet the guys at Firefox are really looking forward to this though. I know I would, if I were them.

I never liked Chrome anyway. No matter what computer i've ever used it on, it is ALWAYS slow and laggy and unresponsive, with or without adblock. I don't even give it extensions, either, it just is always crappy to me.

Now, FireFox, that's a web browser. I have it on my computer now and even though it still tries to act like chrome sometimes, 9 times out of 10 it does not and actually works and does what it is supposed do. Not only that but I also discovered a while back that ANY TIME I use Chrome at all, if i pull up Task Manager and go to Processes I'll see upwards of FORTY PLUS processes coming from Chrome. I wouldn't even be on a website when this happens; why does Chrome need forty of itself just to watch a 3 second youtube video?!?! I've nevr seen Firefox do that. It's mucb more reliable, and there is am adblocker out there for Firefox as well (okay there's actually hundreds but anything that's not the very top of Google is always a coinflip for taking a hit by a virus)

Exactly.

And it's one of those where you're really going to feel it if your PC is on the low end, or already experiencing issues. My machine, suffering from thermal damage and barely hanging on by the slightest thread (seriously it's nearing the point of being utterly dead), almost cant handle Chrome anymore. I can tell when it's about to go bonkers because a given Youtube video will suddenly go all "fuzzy", and it aint the connection doing it. That's a sign that I need to shut it down and let it cool off or whatever.

And yeah, I know, Firefox, but I dont have my giant wall of protective extensions on that one and am not really in the mood lately to set those up on a machine that's about to be replaced anyway. But once the new PC is here I'll probably start on it. After I get the anti-virus walls set up.

Cant wait for the new PC to get here next week.

And it's one of those where you're really going to feel it if your PC is on the low end, or already experiencing issues. My machine, suffering from thermal damage and barely hanging on by the slightest thread (seriously it's nearing the point of being utterly dead), almost cant handle Chrome anymore. I can tell when it's about to go bonkers because a given Youtube video will suddenly go all "fuzzy", and it aint the connection doing it. That's a sign that I need to shut it down and let it cool off or whatever.
Just curious:

That almost sounds like a telltale sign of a GPU drawing more power than your power supply could deliver. Or a power supply that may be slowly failing. Also the basics...maybe fans on the front of the case with very little fresh air being drawn. A problem with so many case manufacturers who are just now beginning to understand the relevance of a mesh front panel without any dust filters.

What wattage power supply is on your existing computer with what video card?

These kind of problems make having access to temperature readings for your GPU and CPU cores imperative. You can download all kinds of freeware apps that do this for Windows or Linux apps. I can look at my tray icons and see right now in real time my CPU cores average 35 degrees centigrade and my GPU 34 degrees centigrade. Something worth adding to your new computer.

Last edited:
Just curious:

That almost sounds like a telltale sign of a GPU drawing more power than your power supply could deliver. Or a power supply that may be slowly failing.

What wattage power supply is on your existing computer with what video card?

Honestly I have no idea (no clue how to check the power supply). I can say the video card is a GTX 1080 Ti. I can also say there have never been any component changes or anything like that, it's the same as it was when I bought it.

All I know is it had worked completely perfectly up until the last month or so, when it seemed to sorta "corrupt" more and more over time. It started out slowly... getting just a little more funky as time goes on, hard to notice up until a certain point, but the issue started to drastically escalate about... a week ago, I think? VR for instance, the thing went from a usually 80-90 FPS in most places, down to a measly 30 in low polygon areas (downright unusable). And now nothing works.

Though really it's about time I upgrade anyway. Particularly if I want to go further making fractal art, I need a lot more CPU/GPU power than what this one can put out.

Honestly I have no idea (no clue how to check the power supply). I can say the video card is a GTX 1080 Ti. I can also say there have never been any component changes or anything like that, it's the same as it was when I bought it.

All I know is it had worked completely perfectly up until the last month or so, when it seemed to sorta "corrupt" more and more over time. It started out slowly... getting just a little more funky as time goes on, hard to notice up until a certain point, but the issue started to drastically escalate about... a week ago, I think? VR for instance, the thing went from a usually 80-90 FPS in most places, down to a measly 30 in low polygon areas (downright unusable). And now nothing works.

Though really it's about time I upgrade anyway. Particularly if I want to go further making fractal art, I need a lot more CPU/GPU power than what this one can put out.
Yeah, that sounds like more than the CPU or GPU/VR throttling things down. Not good.

You have to open up the case and read the label on the power supply itself. Looking to see who the manufacturer is apart from the amount of wattage.

The bad news: It will impact the most popular web browser on the market: Google Chrome.
The good news: It doesn't impact non-chrome browsers like Firefox at all.
So Google have just shot themselves in the foot by killing their own browser?

It's not like this makes any meaningful difference for 99% of users, they have no meaningful care for privacy concerns.

I switched from Firefox to Brave a while ago since FF was actually getting clunky even for my extremely basic use but I suppose I could back to it just on the principle of the matter.

So Google have just shot themselves in the foot by killing their own browser?
Nope. It's Google's super-ego telling the world to suck it up because they want to protect their adverti$ing revenue.

Not much different than Microsoft dumping Windows 11 on everyone assuming the vast majority of us have no choice.

Both just assume they have consumers by their cajones. Such arrogance.

I've all but divorced Microsoft going to Linux. Booting Google totally out of my cyberlife...well that will be a bit more difficult. Though I've always been a loyal Firefox user as long as the browser remains on the market. And this might actually boost their use at Google's expense. One can only hope.

Last edited:
Gonna be a slight pain to move all my accounts and passwords over when/if it happens and there's no workarounds. But I'd sooner go through a hassle than look at a single ad. Literally the most malicious artform right after straight up government propaganda.

It's not like this makes any meaningful difference for 99% of users, they have no meaningful care for privacy concerns.

While this is true, and Google likely thought of that, they forgot one critical fact:

Adblockers arent about privacy to most users, they're about skipping nonsense so that things arent wasting the user's time. And the average consumer has even less patience than I do. Suddenly taking away their ability to skip the stupid, suddenly wasting their time again, well... that's one heck of a quick way to get them to go elsewhere.

I mostly stopped using Google about a decade ago when I noticed that they were censoring their search results. Something I found to be very offensive on so many levels. All I was searching for was a Wikipedia page which still exists but google will never show it in their search results because it's political. It's politics from the early 1900s but Google don't want you to read it.

Their maps are better than Duck Duck Go maps and Google Translate is handy but I never use their search engine.

New Threads

Top Bottom