• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Good sports for Aspies?

Fluttershy

I really want to get involved in a sport or physical activity since exercise helps depression. I'm not very coordinated, which basically rules out sports involving some kind of a ball. I feel like I'd be too embarassed (and bored by) the idea of a gym. Any ideas? I know coordination is a common Aspie problem. So does anyone do any kind of sports?

Swimming may help with depression (if you can swim) :)
Also boxing or using punching bag may relive stress :)

While an organized sport is good, I would also recommend walking or jogging. You can do it every day, and walking or bicycling was what I used all the time to combat depression.

This is just a thought since I am not the sports or gym type person either (I tend to think of 24 Hour Fitness as a meat market). I get workout dvd's for home. That way I can do the exercise at a time convenient for me then jump right in the shower. I did have to buy weights and bands and other workout equipment, though, which can get quite expensive. I get all of my workout dvd's from "Beachbody.com". The workout I'm doing now is quite stressful, but requires no workout equipment - it's called "Insanity". They have several different workout dvd's for beginners to experienced. "Turbofire" is another workout that doesn't require any workout equipment, but is geared more toward women. I believe the best workout for men is "P90x" because it has less cardio and more weight lifting for muscle building. All of these are daily workouts, but even doing some exercise 3-4 x's a week is a good start. Oh! And there's a new one that I have similar to "Insanity" with no equipment, but it is 25 min workouts instead of 40 min and it's called "T25". It's not bad either. Check out that website and see what you think. The workouts do cost some money, but Beachbody.com also has payment plans. (One thing, I'm not trying to sell things for that website - I actually use their stuff and recommend it. You can also find these workouts on Amazon with some "USED" and get a pretty good deal). Goodluck!

The question here is: what are you (relatively) good at?

For me, it's aim. The result is that I'm good with a rifle and decent with a curling stone.

You probably have something you're good at, so there's your direction.

While an organized sport is good, I would also recommend walking or jogging. You can do it every day, and walking or bicycling was what I used all the time to combat depression.

I like to ride my bike and walk when it's warm. These winter months are really just a drag. I can't stand cold weather at all.

The question here is: what are you (relatively) good at?

For me, it's aim. The result is that I'm good with a rifle and decent with a curling stone.

You probably have something you're good at, so there's your direction.

Umm.. I used to be good at Dance Dance Revolution and games like that, but the living room is usually occupied. I also like ice skating and roller skating (I dunno about "good" but I enjoy them) but those things were usually activities I did with friends. I'd feel kind of lame going to the rink alone :(

I really enjoy walking and swimming (when possible) - I used to cycle a lot but it's a bit dangerous to go out cycling where I live at the moment. Shame it's so cold or I'd go walking everywhere again!

I don't know if anyone else here has tried go-karting, even though it's not a typical 'sport'? I went to an indoor track the other day and surprisingly really enjoyed it - you get a big adrenaline rush and get to be competitive. I was really surprised I enjoyed it and that I got used to it so quickly.

I walk for exercise because I'm too clumsy to do anything else! lol. Actually, I used to lift weights and follow some exercise tapes, but nerve damage from a car accident has left me unable to do those things now. I tried dance, but just don't have the co-ordination and flexibility required. I'm thinking of learning Tai Chi. Has anyone here tried it?

Umm.. I used to be good at Dance Dance Revolution and games like that, but the living room is usually occupied. I also like ice skating and roller skating (I dunno about "good" but I enjoy them) but those things were usually activities I did with friends. I'd feel kind of lame going to the rink alone :(

All kinds of people go to the rink to just exercise. Just pretend no one else there exists unless you're about to hit them. :spin:

That's right, Flinty. I used to go to the skating rink by myself when I was younger and I went so much that I actually made a few friends. It's very good exercise too. I would go at night, though. There were a lot of younger kids with birthday parties in the early afternoons.

Don't know where you are, but surfing is my obsession, and I'm pretty good at it. Hopeless at all real sports, tho. Can't stand team sports, for obvious social reasons, and who wants to deal with so many rules? Maybe skiing, skateboarding, rollerblading, rock-climibing, parkour(?), etc. Some kind of tumbling? You get the idea. You can do all more or less alone, and you're mostly just doing one thing at a time. Just your changing vector and balance. No 3 things at once, which we mostly suck at.

I could recommend you swimming. Like someone said before, helps with depression. Helped me too. Twice! I pick up midday or late evening times where everyone's home and visit the Swim Center. Can't even stand it when it's crowded. Most of the time, won't remain there for more than a few minutes and leave frustrated and annoyed. Then you can always put your headphones on and go jogging or for a half hour walk. That'll help you too. Good luck! :)

I really want to get involved in a sport or physical activity since exercise helps depression. I'm not very coordinated, which basically rules out sports involving some kind of a ball. I feel like I'd be too embarassed (and bored by) the idea of a gym. Any ideas? I know coordination is a common Aspie problem. So does anyone do any kind of sports?
I actually play a lot of sports (football, basketball, baseball) and am pretty good, just a little unorthodox. But while it may sound stupid, how about golf? You can play by yourself (or with someone) and it is what I consider a "smart" sport. Strategy is very logical, so just get to the point where you can concentrate enough to hit the ball and the rest is all strategy. I have a horrible swing, but can still shoot a round of 18 in the 80's (which is better than average). Mainly because I "think" my way through the course!

I play soccer but I know that's a rarity in the aspie world. But if doing something with a team isn't your thing, then some one person sports/exercises suggestions are... Bowling, yoga, Pilates, boxing, lifting weights, swimming, ice skating/rollerblading, skiing/snowboarding, running/walking, cycling, archery, pool, cross country skiing, snow shoeing. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of right now. Good luck :)

Sent from my iPad using AspiesCentral.com

While it isn't a "sport", I enjoy walking whenever the opportunity and my schedule allows.
Having said that: I stank at sports when I was in school, and that's the printable way of putting it.

chess is considered a sport or "sport". How about no sports? lol, j/k. I don't like sports or exercising, but I force myself to try to do at least a little, cause you need to do it to stay healthy.

I know you said you're not a fan of gyms, but I'm not either, and I found one that's perfect for someone like me. Also, it's only for women...sorry not sure, just putting it out there. I don't know if you have one in your area, but I'm told they're global; Curves fitness.

The reason I like it, is you don't sit on one machine for 30 mins, doing the same thing. You switch often, so it works you hard, but the movements are easy, as a lot of old people do it too, and I actually find it fun. The machines support you too, so you don't need to worry about balance, and the workout is only 30 mins long.

Otherwise, I also enjoy classes, like Zumba.

New Threads

Top Bottom