• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Going to see psychiatrist for social anxiety, but.....

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
.... fearful that I will manipulate things in the hope that she will say: do you know, I wonder if you have aspergers? Which no doubt, will not happen.

So, how do you, knowing what you know about aspergers, go to a professional for something else, manage to keep quiet or just answer questions, rather than manipulate things, so that the therapist may think aspergers?

Obviously if she asks me questions and comes to the conclusion herself, that is one thing, but what I am fearful about is that my 'expert" knowledge about aspergers will get the upper hand and will end up coming across as pretty arrogant.

How does one deal with going to a psychiatrist anyway?

.... fearful that I will manipulate things in the hope that she will say: do you know, I wonder if you have aspergers? Which no doubt, will not happen.

So, how do you, knowing what you know about aspergers, go to a professional for something else, manage to keep quiet or just answer questions, rather than manipulate things, so that the therapist may think aspergers?

Obviously if she asks me questions and comes to the conclusion herself, that is one thing, but what I am fearful about is that my 'expert" knowledge about aspergers will get the upper hand and will end up coming across as pretty arrogant.

How does one deal with going to a psychiatrist anyway?
Hello Suzanne is there a chance you still have a British passport
If so you may be in line for treatment in the UK
Try writing to Prof Simon Baron Cohen at Cambridge university your psychiatrist might help you if you had information from him
It depends on their attitude the psychologists I saw were very open ,but after that help will come from charities mainly strange they ignore an accepted diagnostic tool like the manual used in the UK and US
Remember what you live for that's how I sort of manage

Hello Suzanne is there a chance you still have a British passport
If so you may be in line for treatment in the UK
Try writing to Prof Simon Baron Cohen at Cambridge university your psychiatrist might help you if you had information from him
It depends on their attitude the psychologists I saw were very open ,but after that help will come from charities mainly strange they ignore an accepted diagnostic tool like the manual used in the UK and US
Remember what you live for that's how I sort of manage

I do have a British passport, but cannot afford to go to England.

The thing is, that in France, they do not recognise aspergers and so, it would really be a discerning psychiatrist to think beyond the book, as it were. I just know me, that is all and I do tend to manipulate questions to gain what I want and it always goes wrong for me.

It's radical, I know: try honesty.

I was going to a therapist for years; she had autistic nephews; Asperger's never occurred to either of us. She was very helpful with the perfectionism and the anxiety; then we got stuck.

I had to run across a detailed explanation of autism sensory issues to realize I had them :) Because my whole life people were all, "Yes, I hate tags on the back of my neck too." I thought I was "normal."

Were it me, I would seek out a therapist who specializes in these issue, and lay out why I think any mental issues could be springing from being on the spectrum. Ask for specific strategies to help YOU.

It is how I got my present therapist, who has been very helpful.

Yes, I have had similar thoughts myself about various conditions. It can feel difficult not to sway things like you have an agenda if you're knowledgeable. I found it difficult to just be me, eye contact for example was just terrible because the amount of eye contact has gradually changed in the months leading up to the first appointment, I was thinking, "Should I make eye contact? Should I not? I don't know what comes naturally to me any more!"

I think it's best if you try not to talk "too much" just enough to explain things when asked questions.

It might be worth saying something also the lines of, "I'm a little bit wary of what I might display to you, and I'm not sure if the way I say things will be coming in a natural form." Something like that. Don't say, "I've been reading on the internet about blah, blah, blah" because someone will dismiss that on those grounds. Some professionals can be rather arrogant like that or misinterpret what you're saying to say.

I think that's how I would try to handle that. If they are wondering why you might be a bit wary of what is coming natural to you, just say, "This is a different and potentially difficult discussion to have". That should be enough.

I think if they ask you to elaborate any points, you could mention the symptoms that you struggle with without saying that you suspect Aspergers. I know what you mean about manipulating questions; I have done that out of desperation after seeing multiple doctors! Not sure it's a good approach, though.

I would mention your symptoms but keep autism/aspergers out of it, solely because they do not acknowledge it there in France. But by mentioning your symptoms, perhaps if you get a good psychiatrist/psychologist they will be able to help you figure out how to deal with those symptoms, regardless of if they think you have aspergers or not. You can talk about your symptoms and what you presently do to cope and how it is or isn't working for you, what you're looking to get out of seeking help, that sort of thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom