• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Give your younger self some advice

Lady Lucifer

Rejected Disney Princess
One thing I'd tell younger me is that my brother (younger, not diagnosed aspie, but has potential) is just like you, even if your parents treat him better.

I'd tell my younger self to start practicing life instead of running from it.
Because you'll need to know how to handle being on your own someday.
Like it or not.

Don't take languages A levels, take sciences. Don't be afraid of maths, you can get help. Whatever you do, don't take English Literature!

Don't take up Rugby - do Krav Maga instead.

(I say this as I busted my femur practising Rugby and ended up in hospital for weeks, with it taking ages before I was able to walk again. By practising Krav Maga instead, it would also have helped prepare me for the bullies in High School who made my life hell on a daily basis).

Go to trade school instead of college, then go into business for yourself. Save money. Take good care of your health and your teeth. Find a few good friends and keep them. See a psychologist. Learn social skills. Have a list of boundaries and a plan for what to do when someone crosses them. Recognize that life is not fair.

Last edited:
When your mother suggests that you should do an ERASMUS exchange in Stockholm rather than Bielefeld, for no better reason than that the latter is an "ugly industrial town" ... politely point out that you are not going abroad to admire the architecture and it would make more sense to build on your existing knowledge of German rather than learn a new language.

If you are still convinced that Stockholm is the best option, in view of its course content, find out as much as you can before you go. Get yourself one of these new-fangled email addresses (we are talking about 1995 here!) Ask if you can be put in touch with former exchange students. Be wary of relying on advice from people who did ERASMUS in other countries, as not all of their experiences may be relevant. Ask the course tutors to explain how the exchange year will work with regards to Swedish instruction. E.g. do you learn Swedish in parallel with attending classes in your subjects of study or are you expected to be up to speed beforehand? Will you get any extra tuition or adjustments to exams to help with the language barrier? Don't allow the tutors to fob you off with blithe reassurances that it will work out somehow. If they don't know what to expect, ask them to refer you to someone who does, e.g. someone from the department responsible for international students (if such a central department exists). Find out what textbooks you will need and buy them before you go.

Your life will get better.

I held onto a lot of anger and resentment for the treatment I received in high school. In my 30s, I realized that my life is actually pretty good, but I couldn't let these grudges go. I had to picture myself talking to teenage Rex, one on one, and explaining to him how much better his life would be later - just to give him something to look forward to and some hope to carry on. It took one 5-minute imaginary conversation and all the resentments went away.

I wonder what an 80-year-old Rex would say to me now?

Don't listen to your biological family when they tell you what to do with your life. Listen to your teachers. Don't study upstairs in the attic or closet in the winter when it's too cold. Do you homework during free periods at the library. Organize your life with realistic goals that are achievable. Don't give up when you fail, just push through. And learn from your mistakes.

Last edited:
In keeping with Gritches idea.

Note to younger self: Ester Williams, Nancy Green, Marx brothers, Charlie Chaplin and Sue Barton, student nurse, are not the only ones you should listen to.
It's a big old world out there.

Dear me: if you have a "good idea", run it past someone first before you end up in possession of a storage unit full of bubble wrap.

Listen to what M said - do not change for anyone. Also this from me to my younger self: You’re not to blame for what has happened to your family. You’re a lovely person. Your dad blamed his own mistakes on to you and will no take responsibility for his actions. He makes no time for you unless it’s his own convenience and will buy you things to control you instead of just being there to relax and do things with.

New Threads

Top Bottom