1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Gaming backlog motivational partners, anyone?

Discussion in 'Computers, Science & Technology' started by KagamineLen, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:02 PM.

1. KagamineLen

KagamineLen Gay and autistic midlife weeb.

Like many gamers in the first world, I have a tendency to buy a lot more video games than I have time to play. I am sitting on a backlog of around 900 unfinished games over six different consoles and one PC.

So, I have decided to not buy any more games between now and the time the new Xbox and the PS5 comes out next year. I also decided to set aside some time going through a significant portion of what I already own.

Does anybody else with a gaming backlog want to be a motivational partner for this totally first-world project? I am interested in boosting achievements/trophies and doing co-op on many of my 360, One, PS3 and PS4 games. Let me know if you are interested in joining me on this epic quest that might end up taking a few years for me.

2. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

I've *sorta* been doing the same thing lately, kinda.

Steam recently changed the library UI for... some reason. Huge change. You may or may not have seen it, heck if I know. Well, side effect of it, is that I find it's way easier now to skim through the whole mess and see what's really there. It's not just a list of words on the left side of the screen anymore, it's this huge blocky thing that covers up most of the screen, complete with proper images for most games. So it's much easier now to be looking at that and go "Hey, what's this? I dont remember buying this. But it looks neat, I should try it now".

Also finding that it's making it a bit easier to remember having recently bought something. If I buy something the thing constantly flags it as "new to library" with a bright blue banner mark on it, like "Hey dipwad, you still havent tried this thing you bought 2 weeks ago!".

Getting into board games recently is also helping to sorta kick the backlog habit. Alot of people into that hobby still have a backlog (and often a huge one, at that... they usually call it the "shelf of shame"), but the difference with those is that the "backlog" is physical and can take up a whole bloody room. So with those it's like, yeah, here's this box still covered in plastic, it's huge, very obvious, I'll spend some time with that before I so much as look at new things.

Of course, that all being said, ALOT of the video games I own cant really be "completed" in the traditional sense. And some are just so stupidly difficult that even 500 hours of practice wont get you a win (the shmups, usually). So I cant always just play one game to total completion before buying another. Still, there's some that I need to just sit down with for awhile. Like I *still* havent tried out all the new NMS content yet.... that's a heck of alot of stuff in that one. Sorta fiddled with it and then got distracted by some other game. And I just remembered that Phoenix Point is finally releasing tomorrow.... and I've had access to the beta version all this time and have still barely played it. Ugh. Maybe that's what I do today, is dive into that.

And that's how it is on my end. That's all on PC though. Consoles... I've pretty much dumped them at this point. I have a Switch, mostly for Mario Maker 2. Somewhere there is a PS4 but I dont care enough to look for it. Needless to say, I wont be buying a PS5... dont need another bloody doorstop. I will say though, the PS4 controller is useful for the PC (usually).

Aaaaanyway. Good luck with that backlog then, it's never easy to sift through one of those. There's always that desire to just buy a new one, eh?

3. Iamnotarabot

Iamnotarabot Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

4. Transmission

Transmission Active Member

I've seen a lot of people online say that the way Steam's UI looks and behaves is very outdated (I mostly agree with this), so I thought Valve has started updating it. Maybe they only did the library UI for now because they don't want to do everything at once in case people don't like it. I'm just speculating though.

5. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

Honestly it's probably good that they havent updated the whole thing.

Steam as it is currently is a hideous glitchy mess... I very genuinely consider it to be the second-worst thing on all 3 computers that I own... only Windows itself is worse. I dont think I've ever had a single hour or two-hour session with Steam where it DOESNT spaz out at least once or twice (or in a recent notable case, 12 times). Hell, often all it takes is 5 freaking minutes for yet another bug to happen.

Granted, it's not like Valve has any incentive to not suck. Steam is a money printing machine. They could sit and drool in a corner all day, which is what I always imagine them doing, and the cash will still keep rolling in. That's a whole other topic though.

But I do still admit that I find that new UI for the library useful.