• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

From sexual harassment to hostile colleagues: readers' experiences of life with a disability

AGXStarseed

(Not written by me. This article contains stories from people with a range of disabilities aside from Autism/Aspergers. Due to the article's length, please click the source link at the bottom of the page to read the entire article).

Our Disability Diaries series provoked a huge reaction from readers, many of whom shared their accounts of living with a disability and suggestions for change. Here is a selection of their stories

‘Worst, by far, have been the ghosts’
I’ve just started using a symbol cane (a shorter version of the cane most people associate with blindness) in public. I’m progressively losing my sight due to a congenital nerve disorder, and was tired of bumping into everyone and the understandably irate responses that followed. The cane, I thought, would solve all that. How wrong I was.

Any benefit I’ve received is mitigated by my negative experiences. Some of the worst of these have been with people who try to “test” me. I’ve had people deliberately stand in my way to see if I move around them; one lad tried to run me down with his bike; another started waving his hands in my face to see if I reacted. I’ve also had a fair bit bit of unwanted guidance: people grabbing my arm or touching me without permission in order to steer me. Personally, I find it rather alarming to have a complete stranger manhandling me, no matter how benevolent their intentions.

But the worst, by far, have been the “ghosts” – a polite term for a pretty ghastly phenomenon. I’ll be sat in a cafe, minding my own business, with my cane at my side. A man (so far they’ve all been men, and I have speculated whether this is a new, bizarre form of sexual harassment) will plonk himself, uninvited, at my table without a word, then just sit and stare at me. When I challenge them, they don’t respond; they just shift about in their seats, ignoring me. Every time, there have been empty tables they could have sat at instead.

This has never happened when my cane wasn’t visible, and I now make sure it’s folded away so that I appear “sighted”. I can think of no excuse for this level of intimidation and harassment. It’s massively affected my confidence, and I’m seriously beginning to question whether using the cane is worth the bother. But why should I feel forced to relinquish something that has been so useful in other respects? Daisy Higman

‘Do people assume glamorous women can’t be disabled?’

My friend is blonde, loves fashion and makeup, and drives an adapted car because she is a wheelchair user. It infuriates people when she pulls into the disabled parking areas at supermarkets – until they see her lean across the seats to get her wheelchair out. I have been verbally abused getting into her car after putting her wheelchair in the boot. Do people assume glamorous women can’t be disabled? Carrie St James

‘Two of my peers said I was intolerable’
When I was diagnosed with Asperger’s aged 13, I felt as though a lot of questions had been answered: why I felt and did the things I did; why I kept getting things wrong and making people so angry. During the very difficult years that followed, I was often comforted by the thought that when I was older, I wouldn’t feel so different from people any more.

I also spent a lot of time and energy practising singing, using the focus, nay obsessiveness, that having Asperger’s can give you to improve my voice. Then out of the blue I decided to apply for an MA in musical theatre at a prestigious drama school. I attended an audition and was offered a place after singing one song. To say I was elated is an understatement.

My time at this institution was one of the most challenging of my life. The course was often around 60 hours’ contact time a week, and physically and emotionally draining. I missed quite a lot of contact time and was late many times – and I accept that, for other people on a course or in a workplace environment, that is very frustrating. But the contempt shown to me by many of my peers on that course was tantamount to emotional bullying.

People with Asperger syndrome are typified as being less socially and emotionally in tune than neuro-typical people. However my experience, which recent research by Henry and Kamila Markram from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology identifies with, is that it’s actually an acute social hypersensitivity coupled with an overwhelming fear response that people with Asperger’s deal with.

I could sense what my course-mates all thought about me – that I wasn’t like them; that I didn’t follow some kind of actors’ code I was intrinsically meant to have written into my DNA, and therefore wasn’t worth acknowledging. If I spoke or tried to offer a suggestion, it was either ignored or someone would just talk over me.

In the final term, two of my peers openly told me they thought I was intolerable, despite me trying to explain in even more detail the issues I was facing. I have never expected people to understand or empathise with me or my condition. I just hoped for people to not be outwardly hostile to me because I’m different to them – especially not fellow actors. Anonymous

Full Article: From sexual harassment to hostile colleagues: readers' experiences of life with a disability

I’ll be sat in a cafe, minding my own business, with my cane at my side. A man (so far they’ve all been men, and I have speculated whether this is a new, bizarre form of sexual harassment) will plonk himself, uninvited, at my table without a word, then just sit and stare at me. When I challenge them, they don’t respond; they just shift about in their seats, ignoring me. Every time, there have been empty tables they could have sat at instead.
Ugh.... Just, ugh.

I have been verbally abused getting into her car after putting her wheelchair in the boot.
These are probably the same people who wouldn't hesitate to take the disabled parking space themselves if they weren't afraid of being judged by others. Don't they have license plate stickers for that? They do in North America.

If I spoke or tried to offer a suggestion, it was either ignored or someone would just talk over me.
I can definitely identify with this one. Every suggestion or idea I came up with was totally shot down by one of my colleagues, and when I asked him to explain, we would say "I just don't think that will work." Well, his way didn't work either, and months of fruitless effort went by and finally they agreed to implement my ideas, which solved the problem immediately. That was before I was diagnosed or had even heard of Aspergers.

In the final term, two of my peers openly told me they thought I was intolerable
I was once told by a housemate that everyone hated me because of the type of jeans I wore. That was also before my diagnosis. When she told me that, I gave up on trying to fit in, because if people were going to be judged according to such stupid, superficial rules, I decided I didn't want any part of it.

These are probably the same people who wouldn't hesitate to take the disabled parking space themselves if they weren't afraid of being judged by others. Don't they have license plate stickers for that? They do in North America.

If they're in the UK, then no. You get a 'blue badge' that denotes you are allowed to use disabled parking spaces, but that's it. My Mum has one, and has had people give her dirty looks when she parks, until she gets out of the car and they see she walks with a stick. It's more of an issue with my husbands badge, because he is registered blind, but doesn't use a cane or guide dog so to look at him, you couldn't tell he has poor vision.

In the US, I have to say, if someone ghosted, they would get their lights punched out. The worst I have heard is how lucky the disabled have it. In the US, health care is SO BAD that people are actually jealous of the disabled for the first time I have even seen. They get angry at them because they have health care. Yes, there are those who talk down to the disabled, but it is more jealously and anger because they are mad that the have health care and a cheque. Lots and lots of suicides in the US right now, people who are not disabled and yet cannot work or cannot find work. Third world country right now.

If they're in the UK, then no. You get a 'blue badge' that denotes you are allowed to use disabled parking spaces, but that's it. My Mum has one, and has had people give her dirty looks when she parks, until she gets out of the car and they see she walks with a stick. It's more of an issue with my husbands badge, because he is registered blind, but doesn't use a cane or guide dog so to look at him, you couldn't tell he has poor vision.
My mother was considered blind in one eye ,I was amazed that the ophthalmologist said it was pointless her wearing spectacles because the other stronger eye was compensating ,nature is amazing .

In the US, I have to say, if someone ghosted, they would get their lights punched out. The worst I have heard is how lucky the disabled have it. In the US, health care is SO BAD that people are actually jealous of the disabled for the first time I have even seen. They get angry at them because they have health care. Yes, there are those who talk down to the disabled, but it is more jealously and anger because they are mad that the have health care and a cheque. Lots and lots of suicides in the US right now, people who are not disabled and yet cannot work or cannot find work. Third world country right now.

No, it' not that bad, not anywhere near 3rd world anyway. Most people are jealous of the disabled because they have this misguided notion that we never have to do any real work and we have a nurse constantly taking care of us 24/7 so we never have to lift a finger. Total. Bull.

I think people just hate different in general. Doesn't matter if the person with the disability works or not. A lot of people just don't want anyone around that is not just like them. Today I'm in a I hate everybody except my bunnies sorta mood. Sorry to be so negative.:(

New Threads

Top Bottom