• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

From 0 to Bonding in 10 seconds

Nervous Rex

High-functioning autistic
V.I.P Member
Today, as I was walking down the hallway at work, a lady walking towards me called out "Richard!"

I instinctively turned my head toward her, because that's what you do when someone talks. She looked at me and asked, "Are you Richard?"

My name is nowhere near Richard, and I said, "No", and she said "Huh?"

I had no idea how to react. The whole interaction made no sense to me, and I thought, "Maybe I misinterpreted her. Maybe she wasn't even talking to me, like she was using a wireless earpiece or talking to someone past me." So I didn't say anything more and just kept walking. You know, the "act casual and maybe they won't notice you" walk.

I ran into her about an hour later, and she said, "I'm sorry for calling you Richard." I told her my name and she said she knows me because we worked on a project together ago (not that I remember it and she couldn't name the project but, fine, I'll take her word for it). She said, "I know that I know your face, but I just said the first name that came to mind."

And immediately, I went from "Who's this weird person?" to "What just happened to you is my life, every day! I totally understand you!"

...Aaaand now I know how awkward I look when I do that.

Today, as I was walking down the hallway at work, a lady walking towards me called out "Richard!"

I instinctively turned my head toward her, because that's what you do when someone talks. She looked at me and asked, "Are you Richard?"

My name is nowhere near Richard, and I said, "No", and she said "Huh?"

I had no idea how to react. The whole interaction made no sense to me, and I thought, "Maybe I misinterpreted her. Maybe she wasn't even talking to me, like she was using a wireless earpiece or talking to someone past me." So I didn't say anything more and just kept walking. You know, the "act casual and maybe they won't notice you" walk.

I ran into her about an hour later, and she said, "I'm sorry for calling you Richard." I told her my name and she said she knows me because we worked on a project together ago (not that I remember it and she couldn't name the project but, fine, I'll take her word for it). She said, "I know that I know your face, but I just said the first name that came to mind."

And immediately, I went from "Who's this weird person?" to "What just happened to you is my life, every day! I totally understand you!"

...Aaaand now I know how awkward I look when I do that.

Its really cool when these little chunks of weirdness turn into something cool...
It doesn't happen often, but when it does and when we recognize it, LIFE (for just a little while) seems not so complicated.

So maybe "Richard" was a mistake that led you to an awareness and opened a door to a new friend... : )

I was once called a variant of Richard.

Didn't understand either.

Thought maybe he was asking the time.

"10.45"

He was actually shouting "dickhead"

Sooo, I can just call people "Richardhead" and smile my cheshire grin and move on with no repercussions.
Its just sounds a little complicated... but then I tend to be complicated, so this works just fine... : )

"Wheaton's Law". :p

I'd post the YouTube video...but the language factor and decorum dictates otherwise. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom