• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

French in Quebec vs French in France

The Penguin

Chilly Willy The Penguin
I have been told by many people Canadian French vs speaking French in France is different. I did found this interesting video.

I know we have a few members from Quebec and France. For those from either place want to expand on the differences please do so.

I learned traditional Parisian French, and to me Quebecois is quite strange to listen to. That said, I'm trying to brush up on my skills so that I can at least get by in any dialect if I need to.

Who better to hear Quebecois French than from this fellow? :cool:

(I forgot all my French when I moved from east to west...where Spanish was the default language to learn.)

Don't forget New Orleans! Cajuns and Creoles also speak a version of French.

I'm in Alabama though. I can only say one thing in French. It's "Canard! Frommage!" That means "Duck! They are throwing cheese!" ;-)

Don't forget New Orleans! Cajuns and Creoles also speak a version of French.

I'm in Alabama though. I can only say one thing in French. It's "Canard! Frommage!" That means "Duck! They are throwing cheese!" ;-)
Oh boy, I cannot comprehend the French that is spoken down there! Don't get me wrong; I love how it sounds and I would love to learn it. :)

Also, I'm wondering how you got "They are throwing" from the simple word "fromage" ;)

(I forgot all my French when I moved from east to west...where Spanish was the default language to learn.)
I forgot almost all of my French but I recently got an app called Duolingo and it's all coming back to me, slowly but surely. :)

Oh boy, I cannot comprehend the French that is spoken down there! Don't get me wrong; I love how it sounds and I would love to learn it. :)

Also, I'm wondering how you got "They are throwing" from the simple word "fromage" ;)
Well, if someone was throwing stuff, would you have time to say a whole sentence? ;) The missing words must be implied.

I didn't get it from that, the comment was a joke. I speak no foreign language at all. I was just joking. I also doubt that canard would translate to the kind of duck I was talking about.

Québécois sounds strange to me because it is different from French in France. While French in France has evolved in one direction, French in Quebec has evolved in another, as languages do. The pronunciation, the vocab, yup.

New Threads

Top Bottom