• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forgotten 80s Music

Billy Squire-- In the Dark
Each line has a hidden meaning I relate to.

Gowan--Moonlight Desires 1987
Love this video

Journey--Wheel in the Sky--1981

Styx-- Come Sail Away--almost 80's. 1977, but, just love to sing along with this song.

A few little gems a bit different to other 80's rock.
80's is my favourite decade for rock.

Do you know this one? Very fitting for our current situation and very fitting then: Travelling the world in your mind. Fernweh.

It's from 1978 though, not an eighties

Yes, I know this, it's a classic. Also of note from about the same time, Karat - Der Albatros. I won't post that, because it's from 1979, but here's a later 1980 track from Karat, Das Narrenschiff

Me too! Even though I grew up in the UK, where listening to music from other countries was definitely not mainstream. I listened to quite a few bands from East Germany, too. Stuff like this excellent track: Silly - Schlohweisser Tag

That was quite good. As best I can make out this one is a lament about a guy that used to be confident and popular socially (his nickname was 'The Golden Ritter') but now is in a mental clinic.

Do you know this one? Very fitting for our current situation and very fitting then: Travelling the world in your mind. Fernweh.

It's from 1978 though, not an eighties

The 80's is the decade but the styles of music don't quite fit neatly in them. I think the period stylistically spanned the later 70's to later 80's. By the end of the 80's already the new styles had begun.

They speed up the tempo for this rough cut performance - love the intro

ELO put out a Science Fiction story album, 'Time' in 1981, about a man transported to the future. "Remember the good old 1980s' he wistfully sings in 'Ticket to the Moon', ironic in that the 80's had just begun. Certainly my favorite concept album and notable for having so many different good songs. But this is my favorite of favorites, which ends with him crying out 'I want to go back!' This is cool cover with nice visuals.

Before they were Icehouse, they were 'Flowers'. This song, also a Sci-Fi-ish one featured in the movie Heavy Metal.

In case you haven't noticed, my favorite period of music as well. :D

That was quite good. As best I can make out this one is a lament about a guy that used to be confident and popular socially (his nickname was 'The Golden Ritter') but now is in a mental clinic.

Yes, you are right, the person in the lyrics got admitted to psych ward and suffers from shizophrenia. He used to be something of a playboy before his 'fall'. He calls himself "Der Goldene Reiter". "Der Goldene Reiter" is the nickname of a monument in Dresden featuring king "August der Starke". The song probably takes place in Dresden because he also calls himself "Kind dieser Stadt" (child of this town).

Here, another song that crossed my mind:

Oops, I'm spamming again.

Here, another song that crossed my mind:

New to me and interesting. The white hand design (hand of Saruman) looks just like the one on Uruk-Hai shields and banners in LOTR.

hd11.jpg

One of the first German songs I picked up on. Completely ignorant of the language, I made up my own meanings to the words. 'Verdammt lang her' was to me 'Her damn long hair' but actually means 'A damn long time'.

No, actually I heard it as 'Her long blond hair'.

:D

Last edited:

As autists we are often not inclined to follow standard protocols as much as make our own rules. I also plead special interest. ;)

One of the early bands on MTV.

I'm sure you don't know this. Anyone from the former Eastern-Bloc might. I stumbled upon this randomnly. It featured in a popular Czechoslawakian-GDR movie adaptation of the Little Mermaid. From the Hungarian band Omega.

Wow! Forget the music. I could watch her dance forever.

I'm sure you don't know this. Anyone from the former Eastern-Bloc might. I stumbled upon this randomnly. It featured in a popular Czechoslawakian-GDR movie adaptation of the Little Mermaid. From the Hungarian band Omega.

I know this band. Other Hungarian bands of note active during this time are: Solaris, Skorpio, Kormoran, Panta Rhei, East. This is superb:
Solaris Marsbéli Krónikák the Martian Chronicles 1984 Full Album

One of the first German songs I picked up on. Completely ignorant of the language, I made up my own meanings to the words. 'Verdammt lang her' was to me 'Her damn long hair' but actually means 'A damn long time'.

No, actually I heard it as 'Her long blond hair'.

:D
BAP are really great, and I have a live double cassette. They sing in their local Kölsch dialect, which is why it's hard to understand. The correct title is actually Verdamp Lang Her. I like this one, too:
BAP - Ne schöne Jrooss 1981

Trans-X, Living on Video
This was in my #Canada150 playlist of five years ago, the only Quebecois act to feature.
If you like the computer equipment in this video, check out Five Star, System Addict. I haven't included it here because I'm not sure they can be regarded as forgotten 80s music, although maybe some here wish they were!

I know this band. Other Hungarian bands of note active during this time are: Solaris, Skorpio, Kormoran, Panta Rhei, East. This is superb:
Solaris Marsbéli Krónikák the Martian Chronicles 1984 Full Album

Sci-Fi totally. :) The band title a famous Russian Sci-Fi film as well as song title the Ray Bradbury book. Is that the Face on Mars feature in the cover art?

New Threads

Top Bottom