• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forgotten 80s Music

hatfullofrain

We have a forgotten 90s thread, so I thought I would create an 80s thread too.

This is for your favourites that you don't neccessarily find in 80s compliations.

No Don't You Want Me Baby, Careless Whisper or Stock Aitken and Waterman here. We can find them on any 80s list.

I want to know what your favourites were from your misspent youth. I want to hear your oddball, outcast music that none of your friends liked.

Please also write out the name of band and title of song as videos may not be available for everyone to see due to location restrictions.

Last edited:
I'll start us off with some Rain Parade from the Paisley Underground Scene.

Rain Parade - Depending on You

Last edited:

This is for your favourites that you don't neccessarily find in 80s compliations.

No Don't You Want Me Baby, Careless Whisper or Stock Aitken and Waterman here. We can find them on any 80s list.

Awww, no fair!

Careless Whisper is a good 80s tune.....
if you take George out of the equation :p
Careless Whisper Seether

I listen to 60's and 70's, the only 80's is a band called "Cats Can Fly", my cousin was the drummer, were popular here in Canada in the 80's.

The Police - King of Pain
The Police were a quite a popular mainstream band in the 80s, but this track is one of their better, lesser known ones. From the 1983 album Synchronicity, my first ever LP :)

Last edited:
i was a big fan of this group in the '80s -saw them about 20+ times in London, in rooms above pubs -
TV Personalities - Happy All The Time (1984)

The Pogues: The sickbed of Culchulainn, The old main drag, I'm a man you don't meet everyday, and A pair of brown eyes, on Rum, Sodomy and the Lash, 1985.

Also The Pogues, Fairytale of New York, Thousands are Sailing and If I should fall from grace with god were my faves on the 1988 album, If I Should Fall from Grace with God.

So lively, some stunning ballads, and great progressors of the Irish tradition.

I spent the better part of the 80's stationed in Germany and liked some of the quirky 'Neue Deutsche Welle'.

The Silencers
This is a video taken at The Decade Lounge in the early 90s
It was closed forever in 1995 after a 22 year run.
The Silencers went on to get some radio play in the 80s, but kind of fizzled out when they hit the big leagues.

I used to frequent The Decade as a younger man for the live acts and all of the fun there. it was very crowded on any weekend night, with a standing only capacity of 400 people. I have no idea why the fire marshals didn't shut it down because it was extremely difficult to move around in it. It was dirty and gritty Steel City rock and roll.
The place was decorated with objects stolen from other local bars and venues. One night, a cohort and I spent about $50 to keep a bartender occupied in another place just to steal a porcelain sign that was screwed to the wall with 3 inch long wood screws.
The "screwdriver: was a military P-38 can opener, and both of us bled that night working them out. After we got the sign, we went to The Decade to try to hock it for drinks, but got shut down. I still have the sign :p
The Decade had many big name acts over the years, U2 as a nothing yet band, Black Flag, The Ramones, Chrissie Hynde and The Pretenders, John Bon Jovi, Cindy Lauper, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Meat Loaf, Stevie Ray Vaughn and on and on. All acts that were worth a salt got to sign the outside of the building, and let me tell you, it was very impressive. Some went on stage for pay, others doing big venue shows that popped in for a cameo set.
That was how I got to meet Bruce Springsteen one night when he was out on the town with Joe Grusheky.
More often than not, my ride was parked about a block away near Atwood and Sennet Street aka the corner of rock and roll.

Anyway, here's a taste of The Silencers:

and liked some of the quirky 'Neue Deutsche Welle'.
Me too! Even though I grew up in the UK, where listening to music from other countries was definitely not mainstream. I listened to quite a few bands from East Germany, too. Stuff like this excellent track: Silly - Schlohweisser Tag

I want to know what your favourites were from your misspent youth. I want to hear your oddball, outcast music that none of your friends liked.

Please also write out the name of band and title of song as videos may not be available for everyone to see due to location restrictions.

I'm sure you don't know this. Anyone from the former Eastern-Bloc might. I stumbled upon this randomnly. It featured in a popular Czechoslawakian-GDR movie adaptation of the Little Mermaid. From the Hungarian band Omega.

Me too! Even though I grew up in the UK, where listening to music from other countries was definitely not mainstream. I listened to quite a few bands from East Germany, too. Stuff like this excellent track: Silly - Schlohweisser Tag

Do you know this one? Very fitting for our current situation and very fitting then: Travelling the world in your mind. Fernweh.

It's from 1978 though, not an eighties

New Threads

Top Bottom