• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Forgetting to take medication?

Hey, I just had the flue and had to take medication everyday. The problem is, that I work 9 hrs and have to remember taking them without my mother telling me to do so. I always forget it. First I thought it was just because it's not in my normal routine but then I remembered that when my mother isn't home I forget to take my antidepressiva most times (and I've been taking it for 3 years now). Does anybody else have the same problem? How do you remember?? I can't have an alarm go off at work to remind me :(

Does your medication recommended a certain time as to when you take it each day?

Mostly everything I have been prescribed in the past or currently specifies either "take during the morning" or "take once before bedtime". If I were taking it sometime in the day, then I think I would probably forget a lot too.

When I was on medication, I put it next to the coffee jar so I'd remember to take it in the morning at the same time as drinking coffee.

Routines do solve a lot of those kinds of problems. Perhaps tie your meds to an important routine? I'm prone to forget to brush my teeth, so I tied it to my final bedtime routine and I don't take out my contacts unless my teeth have been brushed since I'm quite aware and careful with my contacts.

At our age, my wife and I are walking, talking pharmacies. We both use weekly med holders with a separate compartments for each day. We both have one for morning and one for evening. Without these we would never be able to keep it straight.

I take numerous medications 4 times daily, and I am very prone to forgetting. I have tied my med schedule to the dog feeding schedule. I feed my dog a 6-12-6-12 and it helps me to remember to take my meds. Helps--but I still get distracted and forget. It is impossible to forget to feed my dog. She gets very restless and demanding about 5 hours after the last meal.

My regimen: I have to take my medication in early evening. When I do so, I set my alarm to wake up the next morning.

Does anybody else have the same problem? How do you remember??

I have this issue too, always have. I find that I have to set something new that needs to temporarily be routine - such as taking medication - to fall in place with something that is already routine. For example, I'm on medication for glaucoma right now and at the moment have to take it daily. I only remember to take it every evening because I've already gotten in the habit of brushing my teeth and getting changed into PJs at a specific time. Adding taking medicine to that already present routine was way easier for me. I don't know where you work or how you're day plays out at work but perhaps something like that might help? Its all that works for me.

If I need to take something mid day, I put it in a to go condiment cup and place it with the food I am having for either lunch or snack at the time I need to take the medicine. I won't forget it if I see it, and I won't forget my food so, it works for me.

If it's morning, it is set up the night before beside my coffee press, if bedtime, it's beside my eyeglass case as I am careful to put them in the case the last thing each night.

New Threads

Top Bottom