• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Foods You Hate or Hated as a Child?

Galaxy Freeze

Hey everyone,

I got to thinking today...and I realized that there are a LOT of foods that I hate. I am the world's pickiest eater, I swear, most things are just gross to me...I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but I feel like I just can't help not liking 70% of the food the rest of my family eats. I can't even name everything I hate, it's too much. It's a little embarrassing to be having macaroni when the rest of my family is having salad or something. The thing I guarantee I will almost never eat is vegetables, good thing I like fruit...but yeah, it's bothersome, I just can't handle the tastes of most foods.

I can't think of everything now, but I can tell you my most hated food of all time...Ravoilis. With Ricotta Cheese. :sick: I hate Ricotta Cheese. With a PASSION. A BURNING PASSION. Yet, Mom keeps giving it to me, even though I've told her to please not...I don't understand her. She complains about how I need to open up and everything, but I mean...I've HAD Raviolis before, and decided I hated them. Does she think that giving me the same stuff over and over again is going to make me like it? No, it only makes me hate it more. Haha, I sound like such a spoiled brat right now, but I swear...I'm not. Seriously though, every time I am forced to eat that cursed cheese, I get the chills for a week. It's just so...ARGH. It must be the texture or something...I HATE RICOTTA CHEESE!!! Did I also mention that I DESPISE IT WITH A BURNING PASSION?!??! :puke: (No offense if YOU like Ricotta Cheese, hahaha)

Are there any foods that you guys absolutely can't stand? Tell me. I want to see if I'm not alone in this whole "picky-eater" situation.

Like you, i have texture issues with food.

Ricotta cheese is one. Tapioca pudding, Preserves, Jello gelatin, flan, and cottage cheese among others. I also can't stand the taste or texture of beets. Beets are enough to make me lose my lunch just looking at them.

Oh, and canned salmon with the crunchy bones.

Haha, I hear you. Glad to know someone else doesn't like Ricotta!

Canned salmon...I don't think I've ever had that, it sounds nasty though! Oh yeah, I don't care for Tapioca either.

most condiments, ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, most dressings, can't have barbeque sauce cold, or marinara sauce cold. I can have balsamic vinagrette dressing with plain spinach, or very little ceasar dressing on a ceasar salad. I hate cool whip, jello don't mind the taste of those they just seem gross. I have a hard time with most vegtables and relish. I am very skeptical of new food, but I try new vegtables and fruit because I know i got to eat healthier so I am trying for more. Also mixing different foods that I like is difficult, like my boyfriend puts bacon in his stuffing, which i think is really gross, he has to buy seperate boxed stuffing for me. When I go to his family for holidays I usually can only eat the meat, and it never tastes as good as good as I remember, fortunately my boyfriend usually buys thanksgiving foods when they are on sale this time of year, and so I get a thanksgiving meal a bit more suited to me. Oh yellow squash I don't like he keeps trying to trick me into eating it.

More than I can list: sometimes the problem is texture, sometimes it is smell, other times it is the appearance, other times it is all 3 (like with Broccoli!). I'm very finicky when it comes to food.

reminds me, i used to hate fish including salmon until i was in my early 20's, and yet my mom would always feed it to me and try and tell me that salmon doesn't really taste like fish.

What I will and will not eat is entirely based on textures. I've always been this way, I've always had food jags and a very limited menu of "acceptable" meals and snacks. I've never come up with a complete list of foods I won't eat though, which can make things difficult. I also have an eating disorder and every time I've been in treatment, no one ever bothered to listen when I tried to explain that my food aversions weren't ED related at all. Not fun.

I won't eat most cooked vegetables. This past year I started eating small amounts of cooked broccoli. I hate "mushy" food. I don't like peaches, plums, pears, melons, mushrooms, cottage cheese, most cheese, olives, mustard, deli meats, seafood(which is tough as a Rhode Islander), whipped cream, most cereals, eggs cooked any way other than scrambled, cucumbers, squash, cranberries, spinach, Mac and cheese, meatloaf....I know the list goes on and on but I can't think of anymore off the top of my head. I'm very very picky and I've somehow improved. I also won't touch any raw meat and won't eat any chicken or beef that I cook. I don't end up eating a lot of meat as a whole because I can't get myself to cook it. I will eat anything gummy or crispy/crunchy though!

I used to hate beans and mashed potatoes because of the texture. I still don't like them most of the time, but if they are tasty I can handle them.

I HATE the skin that forms on the top of chocolate pudding. I HATE it! It creates a textural inconsistency!

@ Animal_Girl: Pudding skin is utterly disgusting! What's sickening is the way some people peel it back, roll it up & eat it!!! The thing with me & mashed potatoes is that I have to make them myself because that way i have an iron-clad guarantee that there won't be any sudden unidentifiable LUMPS in them.

I can't stand Liver,asparagus and beets. I also hate mushy pasta! I love all kinds of pasta but only Al dente or close to it.
I only like chunky old fashioned peanut butter and hate the taste of most smooth.
I love pineapple but hate it on pizza!

Last edited:
I hear all of you...I feel a bit better now. I actually wasn't sure if this whole picky thing came from Asperger's or it was just me. It's kind of both I guess. It was implied on the original post, but I really hate salad too. This is very annoying because my family LOVES salad...and all of my mom's friends...all of MY friends...everyone wants me to eat it, it is so irritating. They get all in my face about how I never want any, but I'm just thinking..."Um, there are MANY healthy alternatives to salad, just give me some fruit, or carrots, or artichoke...(the only two vegetables I seem to like)."

I don't see why everyone thinks I have to like everything THEY do. Food IS a major problem...It's why I actually hate mealtimes. The only meal I like is breakfast because no one else is awake to bother me, and I love a lot of breakfast foods, like eggs, cereal (especially), pancakes, waffles, sausage, etc. It sometimes depends on the brand of mixture for pancakes and waffles, but in general I love them. I hate lunchtime and dinnertime, probably because as well as feeling awkward around everybody, it interrupts my computer animation.

I wish my family would let me eat in my own room, I would like that. But...Mom wants everyone together of course, oh well...I'll be moving out in only a year or two, THEN no one will bother me about my eating habits!

I don't mean food you don't like here, but food that you utterly detest, or did as a child.

I hate baked beans, celery, gooseberries because of the hairs.

I just started thinking, maybe that's because they are all sensory in some way.

I once starved for three days as a student, and only ate the baked bean can on day two, after mixing in chilli powder, mashing them up, and then nearly gagged.

All the classics I suppose that kids might hate...lol.

Brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, cauliflower, celery and eggplant. :eek:

Cottage Cheese, Prawns, Olives, Semolina, soggy or damp bread. I'd rather eat my own arm or starve than eat any of the above.

Oranges hurt my nose, and sometimes my eyes, to be in the same room as them.
Tomatoes literally smell like rotting garbage to me.
Artificial strawberry flavouring...well, let's not talk about that.
Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi causes severe oral pain.
Cream cheese does the reverse of artificial strawberry flavouring...give me the flavouring.

What about frozen dinners like Lean Cuisine or Hungry Jack? I eat them, because they are well portioned. There are some good flavors too that are really good.

Also, is it really true that breakfast is the most important meal of the day or is that just a myth?

New Threads

Top Bottom