• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Food/drink to help focus?

Qoyote

Internet's either giving me junk or saying "meditate, sleep more and have healthy habits" yeah I'm working on that but I need this NOW finals are in ten days not ten months and I can't get nine hours when I have to wake up in five, if I could go back in time and fix that mistake I'd be in the news, not here

What helps you guys? I've got plenty of food, a few different kinds of tea and I can get more

Thanks

Wholefoods over processed foods should help. Plenty of water. Regular sleep schedule. Don't overindulge in caffeine.

Ed

What do you crave ?a salad (as much tomato (potassium)as you can digest ,dark green leaves(vit c,vit b),chopped onions(vit c ) sandwich (wholemeal bread with seeds,(vit b))not processed meat ,avoid refined sugar, you need your blood sugar to stay level ,mix the salad with a little olive oil or sunflower oil or a plant based spread (vit e) have a mixed pure fruit juice drink and take a break every 30 minutes ,stare into the distance for a minute! you need to stretch the muscles in your eyes!

Use a memory palace! make a room for each subject !make what's inside the room as unusual as you can ,for instance! if I want to post(mail)a letter! ,I see a very large red postbox ,with red arms, carrying the letter!,practice mindfulness you are panicking, what makes you feel peaceful ,do that so your body can rest!

I'm a nicotine addict, which I don't recommend but you could try a patch for short term gain stuff.

I power thru with caffeine. Remind yourself it's temporary. Remind yourself you can do this. l worked 9 hours straight with caffeinated drinks.

Eat healthy foods on a regular schedule. I got through college, graduate school and a stressful 35+ legal career by eating the right foods and avoiding caffeine and sugar. I'm also an ice water junkie. It's my drink of choice.

Good luck with the tests!

Honestly, stay hydrated, eat protein at every meal, including breakfast. Aim for veggies at every meal. Cut down on refined carbohydrates. Get plenty of exercise and rest. That's what any doctor would tell you.

Ginseng/ginkgo biloba, Red bull/Bang! energy (COTTON CANDY FLAVOR, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!) Chug two like you're dying of thirst in the desert & time will slow to a freaking crawl.

You got this!

Sometimes I forget to eat and my blood sugar gets to low. If it gets low enough, I can not think much less focus. Walking or talking is a no go too. Food is the answer in this case.

Dealing with the same currently! Melatonin has been a huge help to regulate sleep schedule (I struggle with falling sleep and waking up feeling rested, but the first time I used it I fell asleep within 20 minutes when taken an hour before bed, slept for 8 hours, and woke up actually feeling refreshed for once in my life). I use caffeine very sparingly- in the morning I'll have a large cup of coffee with a good breakfast (eggs, orange, oatmeal) and then do some very light stretching. This really helps to wake me up and focus my energy for the day.
I know it's tempting to wake up and just immediately jump into work when you're doing finals, but I have personally done best when I've made time (1-2 hours even) in the morning to put my head together. Food wise, the main focus should be on real food that hasn't been processed. Keeping snacks like hummus, veggies, crackers and other things at your desk to the side when needed is also a helpful practice.

Some slight exercise can help start your focus, even if it's just for 10 minutes or so. You could drink coffee/tea for caffeine, which helps me but I have ADHD, so I kind of need stimulants to focus. You could also do some sort of activity you enjoy doing that takes up some mental energy for a little bit, that might also help you start focusing.

Internet's either giving me junk or saying "meditate, sleep more and have healthy habits" yeah I'm working on that but I need this NOW finals are in ten days not ten months and I can't get nine hours when I have to wake up in five, if I could go back in time and fix that mistake I'd be in the news, not here

What helps you guys? I've got plenty of food, a few different kinds of tea and I can get more

Thanks

"meditate, sleep more, go vegan, do yoga, exercise, do mindful exercises, find a career that correlates with your interests"
Some of those tips are overkill and unrealistic.

It's all about the right amount of self-care and what works for you. You might need to do some trial and error. Sometimes you need to be patient for results to show. A vegetarian diet is good, but avoid the vegan thing (especially if you're female).

I have to admit that yoga helps a great deal. As does exercising. I'm currently changing my diet because of endometriosis, going sugarfree and eating only one kind of meat (chicken). I don't know yet if it helps. An individual approach is always needed. Of course, our bodies are different. Hormone level, metabolism, genetic conditions, immune system... You know what I mean.

"meditate, sleep more, go vegan, do yoga, exercise, do mindful exercises, find a career that correlates with your interests"
Some of those tips are overkill and unrealistic.

It's all about the right amount of self-care and what works for you. You might need to do some trial and error. Sometimes you need to be patient for results to show. A vegetarian diet is good, but avoid the vegan thing (especially if you're female).

I have to admit that yoga helps a great deal. As does exercising. I'm currently changing my diet because of endometriosis, going sugarfree and eating only one kind of meat (chicken). I don't know yet if it helps. An individual approach is always needed. Of course, our bodies are different. Hormone level, metabolism, genetic conditions, immune system... You know what I mean.
where is your evidence to support quote avoid the vegan thing

If you're studying:

Lots of water, set bedtime and repeat what you have learnt right before bedtime. Spare a set amount of hours in the afternoon to indulge in activities you enjoy (or simply to have a nap). If you don't understand something, ask for advice among class mates or teachers, if you're still stuck, get some time off and do something else.

Oh and rearrange and restructure subject matter on a big poster or create file cards.

where is your evidence to support quote avoid the vegan thing
I know that some people are strong vegan advocates, not doing an off topic discussion on someone else's thread. Pm me if you want to talk.

I have quite a few female friends in my life who lost their period after going vegan, got anemia, couldn't get pregnant. Those problems vanished after going back to vegetarian or omnivore diet. That's why I wouldn't advice it to females before menopause. It's your right to disagree with me. As it is mine to disagree with you.

Thanks

I agree with the most posts! I also recommend gingko biloba, green tea, they both help with having a clearer mind, a deeper focus and to consume a lot of fresh foods and fruits.

What i would add is to take Vitamin B complex in combination with Gingko Biloba.
A good dose of Vitamin B is 50 mg and of Gingko Biloba is 100-120 mg.
This is the combination i take when i have semester exams.
What is very important is not to get sleep deprivated! Mind needs to rest ,in order to absorb and save all the info you learn. I would advise to sleep at least 6 hours. If you run out of time, sleep less only for the last 2-3 days ,not more.

I wish you best of luck!! :D

Number one: Don't go hanging out with friends or staying up late during the semester. Pay attention in class, and then go home and study, every single day. Use office hours to ask your instructors about things you don't understand, and also use tutors and study groups.

That way, when finals come around, you don't have to freak out and figure how you're going to memorise everything.

New Threads

Top Bottom