• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Following"

On the Inside

I just noticed on my profile page that there are people "following" me (I seldom look there). What does that mean, and why do people "follow" another person? I'm not upset or weirded out, just don't get it.

By "do anything for you" do you mean that it doesn't work (no notifications), or it has no effect on you?
Basically, yes. So far as I can tell, the functioning of the site does not change. Someone told me I was supposed to get notifications when the people I am following post. This doesn't happen. I do have a handy link on my profile page if I want to PM the people I follow or who are following me. I don't do a lot of PM's though.

There are profile setting that can be selected that will allow only members you have chosen to follow, to view your profile page, for example.

I think (but am not 100% certain) that the following message is displayed when a member has chosen that only members they follow can view their porfile page.

AspiesCentral.com - Error

This member limits who may view their full profile.

Also, in the media section, when posting media, it is possible to choose who can view the media you have added, one of the options is 'people you follow'.

When there were blogs on the site, there was an option to choose who could view a blog entry.

I think you're supposed to get notifications about it, but it doesn't seem to do anything for me.

I'd also thought that you're supposed to get notifications, and that at one point in time I actually did get notifications but I'm not sure if I've remembered this correctly.

I have 8 followers, and 3 I follow.

I don't think I ever got a notification that someone followed me.

I do get notifications when people I follow make a post.

A few people seem to follow everyone. I only follow a few people who I think have consistently good/helpful posts. I'd probably follow more, but I can't do it from the phone app, so its somewhat a hassle for me to set up. Besides, if I follow too many people or threads, I get overwhelmed.

If someone follows you, take it as a compliment that they think you are worthy of attention.

I have 8 followers, and 3 I follow.

I don't think I ever got a notification that someone followed me.

I do get notifications when people I follow make a post.

A few people seem to follow everyone. I only follow a few people who I think have consistently good/helpful posts. I'd probably follow more, but I can't do it from the phone app, so its somewhat a hassle for me to set up. Besides, if I follow too many people or threads, I get overwhelmed.

If someone follows you, take it as a compliment that they think you are worthy of attention.

New "Follows" show up as new Profile Posts,
I think. That may not be the correct name.

-----------------

Are you getting notifications of ANYTHING
this week?

I am not.
:evergreen:

I get notifications when people follow me, but not when people I'm following make a post. I followed Warmheart almost right away, and Smileachday and AGXStarseed both followed me, so I followed them back, but I didn't bother after that since nothing ever showed up from them in my inbox. Warmheart made a post seven or eight minutes ago, but I don't have a notification of it. I have five notifications from people quoting me or giving me karma.

I guess I like hearing that someone has followed me, but following doesn't seem to work for me so I don't bother.

I don't know if this affects it, but I have turned off the setting to notify me when people post in watched threads, because I was getting too many notifications. I have also turned off email notifications, but I still get emails from the site from time to time, usually from a new post to a watched thread. Mostly I seem to get emails when you post, tree, even though I'm not following you.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe you are right. I get enough notifications about threads I follow to not notice that notifications about people I follow seem to have stopped. Or maybe they are getting less active too? dunno.

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe you are right. I get enough notifications about threads I follow to not notice that notifications about people I follow seem to have stopped.

So you have been getting notifications,
this week, about threads you follow?

I have been getting.....nothing.
:evergreen:

I've turned of the email notification setting off, so, I just rely on the 'Alerts' that that apear in the to right hand corner of the page, when logging in via my computer, as a form of being notified of new postings and profile messages.

Email notifications are just a pain.
In the phone app, the first menu item is 'Notifications'. Nowadays, that's where I spend most of my time, occasionally venturing into the 'Timeline' if I'm not getting enough of interest. I used to be more active.

I've turned of the email notification setting off, so, I just rely on the 'Alerts' that that apear in the to right hand corner of the page, when logging in via my computer, as a form of being notified of new postings and profile messages.

Yeah, I know how to use the 'Alert' up there
on the right hand corner of the page.

I like getting the Notices in my mail, though.
And I haven't gotten any all week.

Thanks, everyone. I see now that it is part of profile management for which I am poorly suited. I post, read other posts, like to give and receive karma and that is about it for me.

Yeah, I know how to use the 'Alert' up there
on the right hand corner of the page.

I like getting the Notices in my mail, though.
And I haven't gotten any all week.

Ok ... so, it's the email type of notification that hasn't been functioning correctly all week, and you like to receive the email notices. That must be annoying/frustrating.

Excuse me for the stupid question. How can I follow people? I watch the site from my Android app. I can't find any button to follow people :(

I just noticed on my profile page that there are people "following" me (I seldom look there). What does that mean, and why do people "follow" another person? I'm not upset or weirded out, just don't get it.
I wondered about this also. I'll follow you for a while to see what happens. Notifications, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom