• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Followers??

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
I went on my profile page, to see the people that follow me, so I could look for a certain person's profile and click on it, to go to their page, and I realized that the following/followers section is totally gone!

Is it just me not seeing it, or is this true?

If you go to the About part of your profile it is listed there.

I never understood that aspect of social media. Now and then I get a message telling me that someone is now following me but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Should I be happy? Suspicious? Flattered? I don't know so I just skip by and forget it.

There are plenty of people here that I consider myself friends with that I am not following. Most of the time I only follow people if they follow me first.

I stopped using this recently because it didn't seem to give me special notifications or anything. I'm still trying to determine what the actual function is but I've come up with nothing.

Sorry to those I've unfollowed, I was just trying to see what the heck would happen. Apparently there was no change.

I never understood that aspect of social media. Now and then I get a message telling me that someone is now following me but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean. Should I be happy? Suspicious? Flattered? I don't know so I just skip by and forget it.
It means they bought a ticket to your forum performance.

I never found any notifications or anything different regarding those following me either.
It's not like I'm notified when they post or reply to a thread, so I don't really see what the function does either.

I did actually find one potential follower use. If you go to the profile posts section and look at the top right section, you can filter by people you follow so that you only see their profile posts. I want to see all of them so I'm not interested in that, but it is a function.

Last edited:
In my case I really see no big benefit of following others. It is instinct just to follow someone if they are following me, to show politeness, respect and appreciation there for them wanting to follow me. Or if I find someone who I feel gives lots of efforts or shows kindness I will initiate following them to show I noticed them. Otherwise, I do not get much benefit from that follower/following feature as I do not focus too much on it.

Also, as I do not like cliques or appearances that I am a part of one, I can see drawbacks of following others for this reason. So I can hesitate to initiate following others for this reason. Thus, I can value members just as much if I do not follow them, and as I do not assume those others that follow me really like me, or do not follow me dislike me, as I realize others can have their own unique reasons for not following or following persons.

So, to sum things up, I think I rather change up my use of the following feature there, and not use that feature anymore on my end. I just know I never really get or feel much benefit out of following or being followed. I assumed others mostly do, but now that I think about it, others may see it as more neutral or added stress. So, to be safe, for all the reasons given, I think I'll change my list to following zero on my end. Everyone should determine what's best for them what to do there..

This is a good thread… It’s very informative to know that we have all overthought this. I got thoroughly confused by it in the beginning and took a hard line with not following anyone. I’ve worried about it, too, but I figured if I follow no one at least it’s all even.

It just feels like another one of those social nuances that everyone else seems to understand but confuses the heck out of me. At least now I know I am not the only one to have thought this over again and again.

Followers on social media are poopoo. Give me good friends/a few quality fans instead of 5700 followers please, anywhere.

48365EBF-8411-42CB-A6AE-FA88EC197D62.jpeg

don’t go looking for this instagram profile.. it is long gone

As far as I can see all it seems to do is show when a someone is online. It gives no more access to personal information than not following.

When someone follows me it sends me into a bit of a daze. I have maybe 2 friends irl so getting followed is a bit special to me.

That's the first time I've ever seen an instagram page. I don't do any of that social media stuff, it never interested me in the slightest.
Instagram has changed too much. They’re trying too hard to be TikTok and all the other social medias are trying to (only ones I use now are this forum, YouTube, and Pinterest)

Following people has one benefit that I can find. In settings we can select an option which restricts all members from PMing us unless they are someone we already follow.

I don’t follow people to be creepy, but so I can filter trolls and creepy people from making contact with me.

As far as I can see all it seems to do is show when a someone is online. It gives no more access to personal information than not following.

When someone follows me it sends me into a bit of a daze. I have maybe 2 friends irl so getting followed is a bit special to me.

It shows everyone who’s online whether I follow them or not, so I still don’t understand the intended purpose.

There’s nothing worse than seeing someone is following me against my will, even though it doesn’t mean much. It’s annoying and offensive that we can’t delete those people, imo.

I went on my profile page, to see the people that follow me, so I could look for a certain person's profile and click on it, to go to their page, and I realized that the following/followers section is totally gone!

Is it just me not seeing it, or is this true?
Screenshot_20230112-200553_kindlephoto-321635024.png
click about

New Threads

Top Bottom