• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fireworks at UAH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huntsville......April 12th. "Yuri's Night" (Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin- First Human to Orbit the Earth)

An international commemoration of space exploration milestones by mankind.

I could see how that would be a pretty big deal for y'all in Huntsville! ;)

Our Space Program's MVP:

220px-Wernher_von_Braun_-_ABMA_Badge.jpg

Last edited:
Huntsville......April 12th. "Yuri's Night" (Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin- First Human to Orbit the Earth)

Hmm, that's a possibility. However, knowing the kids, they probably made up a reason to blow something up.:)

They have a lot of neat stuff here about Von Braun. In fact, one of the buildings is the Von Braun Research Hall, or VBRH as we call it. Frankly, I don't think Huntsville would be here if it wasn't for him.

So true!!! I remember that night. Every boy wanted to be an astronaut after that. Have you ever been to the Space and Rocket Center here? It's amazing. They have one of the few Saturn 5 rockets still in existence on display. You can see the place from my front door:

View attachment 8895
Taken from my front porch about five minutes ago.

<Sigh> I've always wanted to visit. Maybe some day.

You see, the space program was always very dear to my family. My father's best friend at the Naval Academy was Wally Schirra.

If I were post my boyhood "heroes", there would be seven of them. ;)

220px-Project_Mercury_Astronauts_-_GPN-2000-000651.jpg

<Sigh> I've always wanted to visit. Maybe some day.

You see, the space program was always very dear to my family. My father's best friend at the Naval Academy was Wally Schirra.

If I were post my boyhood "heroes", there would be seven of them. ;)

That's just too cool!!! Wally was my favorite of the original seven. All that came after them owe them a lot, as they paved the way. They did what no one else had done without knowing what to expect or exactly how to do it; there was no book.

Well, if you're ever in the Huntsville area, I have a guest suite that's always ready and I make a fairly decent crock-pot roast.:D

That's just too cool!!! Wally was my favorite of the original seven. All that came after them owe them a lot, as they paved the way. They did what no one else had done without knowing what to expect or exactly how to do it; there was no book.

Well, if you're ever in the Huntsville area, I have a guest suite that's always ready and I make a fairly decent crock-pot roast.:D

Cool...I'll keep that in mind, sir! :)

Our Space Program's MVP:

220px-Wernher_von_Braun_-_ABMA_Badge.jpg

Something else, but look at how low the number is on his ID badge. He was one of the first ones at Redstone.

Something else, but look at how low the number is on his ID badge. He was one of the first ones at Redstone.

Yep. Without him we might not have had a space program. And without the space program Von Braun might not have had his freedom.

Yep. Without him we might not have had a space program. And without the space program Von Braun might not have had his freedom.

It makes me shudder to think what would have happened had the Soviets captured him or if the Nazis managed to survive and build something under his direction.

Last night they had fireworks at the university I work at, which happens to be across the street from my house. At first I thought perhaps one of the scientists blew himself up and I would get called in. I haven't a clue what the occasion was, but I grabbed my little cheap camera and produced a video:
It's 2014, not 2013.

It makes me shudder to think what would have happened had the Soviets captured him or if the Nazis managed to survive and build something under his direction.

Sadly the Nazis did build something under Von Braun's direction. The A4 rocket, which became known as the V-2. Which made his early years in the states somewhat controversial along with the use of other former contributors of the Third Reich as "government assets".

Last edited:
If you like Space and aren't playing Kerbal Space Program you are missing out.

I had to look it up since I have not heard of it before. It looks neat. I watched the demo video on their site. At first I thought it was the Minions; they must be related.:) I'll to look into it when I finally get a new machine, as I don't think this one could handle it. I was trying to convert some sound files and I got the blue screen of death . . . UGH!!!

I had to look it up since I have not heard of it before. It looks neat. I watched the demo video on their site. At first I thought it was the Minions; they must be related.:) I'll to look into it when I finally get a new machine, as I don't think this one could handle it. I was trying to convert some sound files and I got the blue screen of death . . . UGH!!!

I play it on a Macbook Air 2012 Edition without an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom