• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

FINALLY!!!!

Thank you for sharing this @Suzanne. I'm pleased for you, and it's interesting to read about your process. I haven't gone down that road yet, as people here don't seem to get the masking that we can adopt, to survive, and be good at.

I already get financial assistance from/for a misdiagnosis/ mental ill health comorbidities.

I would like to do advocacy but I suspect that, without the legitimization of a diagnosis, my advocacy might not carry as much weight/ be taken as seriously.

Anyway I appreciate learning about other's diagnosis, it's helping me think through my own direction. I understand it would be quite validating and clarifying.

Suzanne, I suspect most if not all of us would agree that you were "authentic" the day you arrived and posted here in this community. I believe the vast majority of us know when we're on the spectrum, with or without a formal medical diagnosis. Not much different than those who come to terms with their sexual orientation.

Year after year, just look at the number of people who come and go from this community, all with the same question. Considering that the vast majority who come to terms with their own Neurodiversity as opposed to those few who may conclude they are Neurotypical. Who later go on to confirm what they really already knew.

You are no different. Neither am I. With or without a formal diagnosis. It's just having to convince medical professionals that makes the process otherwise so arduous at times. An often necessary aspect of it all for those of you seeking formal assistance.

To us you are still the same Aspie last week or last year that you are right now. ;)

I said as much to my husband yesterday, Judge, that so many know they are, before seeking a formal diagnosis and what you say with regards to professionals. So true. But when I break the process dow, I see that the process was actually quite short! I was so blessed to get an appointment with the expert as soon as I did, as apparently, there is a long waiting list.

What this formal diagnosis feels like is putting a stamp on what I have been through all these years.

Also, I am amazed that the therapist accepted my reasoning to why I learned to read so late ( 9). That had I had the proper parenting, I would have started to read very early. And when I think of the things I achieved at 7 onwards, does show intelligence. I explained that in such an invironment, books became my fixation.

Your words Judge and those who agree with you and liked your comment, are a huge source of support for those who come here unsure of how they will be greeted.

being that I mostly don't give a *bleep* about what people think, I never saught a pro-diag for something I already knew.

I can, however, see the benefits of having one in order to receive whatever benefits and/or assistance for those on the spectrum.

Here in France, we have the Brexit hanging over our heads ( oh dear, the image that conjures up in my mind lol) and so, I sense that it will go well for me, because I have been formally diagnosed by an therapist recognised in France ( Ironically, he is Romanian)!

Oh if only I was more like that ie I don't care what others think!

I'm so glad you finally got a diagnosis. It's such a relief, isn't it? I know it was for me when I got mine. Anyway, good luck in whatever you choose to do next. :)

I said as much to my husband yesterday, Judge, that so many know they are, before seeking a formal diagnosis and what you say with regards to professionals. So true. But when I break the process dow, I see that the process was actually quite short! I was so blessed to get an appointment with the expert as soon as I did, as apparently, there is a long waiting list.

What this formal diagnosis feels like is putting a stamp on what I have been through all these years.

Also, I am amazed that the therapist accepted my reasoning to why I learned to read so late ( 9). That had I had the proper parenting, I would have started to read very early. And when I think of the things I achieved at 7 onwards, does show intelligence. I explained that in such an invironment, books became my fixation.

Your words Judge and those who agree with you and liked your comment, are a huge source of support for those who come here unsure of how they will be greeted.
I learnt to read later than many of my peers. I didn't learn until I was 7, but by 9, I had the reading ability of a 14 year old (according to a school reading tester/teacher). Reading became my lifeline and I voraciously read on average a novel a day, throughout the rest of childhood.

On the topic of the acceptance of non diagnosed self proclaimed Auties, by other s on the site. I wonder about that too, I can't get recognised by local "mental health" professionals, but I wonder if I come across, "convincingly" as an Aspie/Auti?

My diagnosic process is probably quite some time away, due to the expense and distance I will have to travel to see professionals that actually know what to look for.

I feel, almost, envious, of those of you who have the validation and certainty of a diagnosis.
Well done for pushing on and getting to the bottom of what is going on for you (for those that didn't get diagnosis still in childhood). It gives me hope, that it's possible for me.

Last edited:
You are borderline severe and you have a spouse ? That's better than a lot of people on he spectrum.

Long story of my relationship with how I came to be married. We have been together for 27 years and it has been, well - a nightmare for both of us, because I never realised that I took things literally or got obsessed with things and we clash so much with words. In fact, I have to take medicine to calm my anger down, as my husband causes my extreme anger to surface, but medicine helps me to control it better.

Today, got my official diagnostic for aspergers. I am borderline severe.

Conveniently, the sun was shining through the blinds and so he saw the reaction from me ( too bright for me). I was also stimming and could barely meet his eyes.

Went through a questionaire and my husband was amazing in how he helped me.

I see my psychiatrist next week (sigh) and hopefully get help with finding work convenient for me or help financially.
I would like to echo everyone's sentiments, I am really happy for you. I really hope that you get the support you need.

I learnt to read later than many of my peers. I didn't learn until I was 7, but by 9, I had the reading ability of a 14 year old (according to a school reading tester/teacher). Reading became my lifeline and I voraciously read on average a novel a day, throughout the rest of childhood.

Very much the same.

After being able to read, I devoured books and it was no surprise to see me coming out of a library with books up to my head lol

I feel, almost, envious, of those of you who have the validation and certainty of a diagnosis.

Each time I have read on here: I am official! I felt envious, so can understand how you feel.

In truth, I never imagined that I would get formally diagnosed and still in shock.

Congratulations!

Sorry I'm late to the party. I remember how amazing it felt to finally have my difference acknowledged.

May you never believe anyone who insists that you be neurotypical again!

I'm glad you finally got your diagnosis! It's been over 6 years since my diagnosis, but I can also remember the time when I was waiting for a diagnosis, not being sure where I would receive one or not, my greatest fear being that I wouldn't be diagnosed and that I would get no answers, and that would mean that I'm just a bad, neurotic, difficult or inadequate person who can't hold down a job. It was a huge relief to be diagnosed. It was liberating to have this explanation and be able to understand myself better. I also thought that if I had it, I must surely be a borderline or 'mild' case, but I according to the psychiatrist that diagnosed me, I am 'moderate'.

Hello Suzanne, I saw your thread featured and so even though it's late I want to say congratulations on getting the diagnosis.
Have you had any success with the MDPH? Are you coping with the mess and uncertainty of Brexit ok?
Hannah (in the Corrèze)

It's nice to know you work through this with your husband, and talking truthfully about anger. Sometimes l am not sure what l said that causes someone anger, then l immediately blame myself but it sounds like this is kind of normal. Maybe l shouldn't be so upset with myself. But yes, words are the problem.

Now you have the final piece of your puzzle. What a relief, no more guessing, explaining, you have validation. In a way it's personal freedom from the naysayers. May your journey be smoother as you move into your self-acceptance and love of just you.

New Threads

Top Bottom