• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Feelings about Numbers

LOL! Could you try to NOT add to my phobias?! :p

When it comes to that particular number, I can't think of another event that might top that. Except perhaps that both my parents died on the 13th of December on a Wednesday, yet 28 years apart. No joke.

Numbers might have great significance. Yet also the kind that we may not be able to fully understand.

I don't have feeling towards the numbers itself, but I have towards how numbers sound.
I find 7 (sju), 5/五 (ご), 400/四百 (よんしゃく), and 600/六百 (ろっぴゃく) are funny sounding.
And 7 (syv), 20 (tyve), and 6/六 (ろく) are beautiful sounding.
And I don't like how 7/七 (しち/なな) sounds.

I do like to write the number 2, as I love how I write a loop instead of stopping to change direction.
2.png

Last edited:
I remember doing that! :) It wasn't quite as strong of a compulsion with me, but I remember doing it sometimes.

One of my compulsions was if something touched my right hand (or foot, leg, etc.), I'd need it to also touch my left side, so I was always doing odd things so that I could get the same sensory input on the other side of my body. I still do it sometimes, though sometimes I'm able to tell myself that I'm a grown-up and should be able to ignore that. :p I caught my son, who is also autistic, doing the same thing once when he was a teenager. It made me laugh because I'd never known anyone else who did that. I told him that I'd never met anyone else like me, so I had to breed one. ;)
I use to do this too.

Thanks for everyone’s reply this thread has made feeel better about my quirks.

Me, too. :D Last night, I told my husband that I'm glad I joined this forum because it's the only forum I've ever been on where we had a discussion about liking numbers.

I'd say it's normal. I don't necessarily dislike numbers that much. I do like the number 2. I think it's part of my ocd, though. I like to eat things by twos. For example, I can't just have one oreo cookie, I have to have the cookies 2 at a time. I like to cut my sandwiches into 2 pieces, and I will eat pieces of snacks (such as peanuts, pretzels, etc...) by twos. Eating something by threes is unsettling.

I like the movie "Number 23".

There are some numbers that stuck with me for a long time. Like 122 (more payments), I always think of the movie "The Family Man".

The number 161 was an early child support figure, and even though the court basically tripled it overnight to 500, I still see the number 161 a lot in my engineering calculations at work. A number I'd really rather forget.

My dad used to say that 22 (the 22nd of the month) was a good day for him. Don't remember why, it was 30 years ago. But I followed suit shortly after, as my first kiss was on a 22, and her birthday was a 22, and I bought my first car on a 22.

Even numbers I think of as white keys on a piano/keyboard, and they sound happy/friendly. Odd numbers I think of as the black keys and sound sad/mysterious. Of course some odds do get skipped.

I tend to buy at least 2 of everything, but because I hate running out of things, and I hate going to the store. 2 is a nice number though. 2 + 2, 2 x 2, and 2 ^ 2 all equal the same thing.

Other than the number 6, and my quirks with graphing 2d functions in my head, I don't really have any other numbers that I really like or dislike.

But I really do enjoy counting by 3's. I think this started after I watched School House Rock, the one about the number 3. I still can sing that song. It's great.

l l can remember random many digit numbers out of a string of numbers, it saved me when a waitress tried to short a restaurant out of a check that she didn't put money in cash drawer.

It's good to be Aspie!!!

Last edited:
But I really do enjoy counting by 3's. I think this started after I watched School House Rock, the one about the number 3. I still can sing that song. It's great.

In the 90s, a bunch of bands got together and produced a School House Rock album. Blind Melon remade "Three Is a Magic Number." I love School House Rock. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom