• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Favourite Anime?

I also Enjoyed Pilot's Love Song.
Toaru Hikūshi e no Koiuta
I like the setting in a rule of cool sort of way.
but seriously Mono planes with machine guns VS VTOL with bolt action rifles and the oc- Mono planes would decimate.
Seriously Bi planes with machine guns would win Vs VTOL with bolt action rifles, Would probably be easier with the lower stall speeds.
Especially Airboat VTOL.
That's just silly.

Last edited:
The Ghibly movie Grave of the Fireflies was very good, in a traumatise-yourself-as-entertainment sort of way.
You can get to know the characters and their struggles and you can empathise with them as "real" children.. and then the realistic war horror kicks in. :confused:

There really isn't any comic relief though, and I need that, which is one of the biggest reasons why IMHO the slice-of-life odd-couple comedy Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoko is sooo much more fun to watch (also that's an anime series not a movie so its over twice as long). GotF was PTSD inducing trauma, but SSR had more than enough trauma that will haunt my soul for eternity, while still having the sweet moments and funny moments too. :)

I enjoy stories about normal people. Normal musicians, normal singers, dancers, adventurers. Relatable, flawed, normal human characters.
I had a lovely adventure to Antarctica (eventually) when I watched A Place Further Than The Universe. :)
Nothing particularly overly dramatic happened, no one died or was chopped in half by demons, there were penguins, but it took a long time and a lot of effort to get to Antarctica. I suppose that's a good thing. The story wasn't really about the Antarctic or the specific journey but about setting your heart on something you really want to achieve and then going for it and working hard to get it and never giving up. I like that type of thing. :)

The Ghibly movie Grave of the Fireflies was very good, in a traumatise-yourself-as-entertainment sort of way.
You can get to know the characters and their struggles and you can empathise with them as "real" children.. and then the realistic war horror kicks in. :confused:

There really isn't any comic relief though, and I need that, which is one of the biggest reasons why IMHO the slice-of-life odd-couple comedy Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryoko is sooo much more fun to watch (also that's an anime series not a movie so its over twice as long). GotF was PTSD inducing trauma, but SSR had more than enough trauma that will haunt my soul for eternity, while still having the sweet moments and funny moments too. :)

I enjoy stories about normal people. Normal musicians, normal singers, dancers, adventurers. Relatable, flawed, normal human characters.
I had a lovely adventure to Antarctica (eventually) when I watched A Place Further Than The Universe. :)
Nothing particularly overly dramatic happened, no one died or was chopped in half by demons, there were penguins, but it took a long time and a lot of effort to get to Antarctica. I suppose that's a good thing. The story wasn't really about the Antarctic or the specific journey but about setting your heart on something you really want to achieve and then going for it and working hard to get it and never giving up. I like that type of thing. :)
Have you seen "K-On!"? I think you'd like it.

Have you seen "K-On!"? I think you'd like it.
I LOVE K-on! I love the songs, I love the characters, I love the laziness. I have all 39 episodes and the K-on! movie on DVD and I even bought a bass guitar in the same colour due to being so inspired by Yōko Hikasa anddddd I made my own K-on! movie curtain (from a poster that was oddly made from fabric) and it looks amazing in my hallway opposite the bathroom door so I can stare at it when I'm sitting on the toilet and Houkago Tea Time stare right back at me! :D
DSC_0354.JPG

Last edited:
Guys, you should watch Bakemonogatari. And better yet, you should watch it completely blind without knowing anything about it. I say this because I had a friend over who watched the first episode with me (I had already seen this episode beforehand) who had no expectations because he knew nothing about it and all the character establishing scenes and tiny plot developments were like a massive shock to him. Needless to say, he loved it.

I feel like looking at the plot sypnosis on Wikipedia will give a bad impression because it sounds kinda boring and unoriginal in concept. But in execution I'd say it's one of the greatest anime of all time. It's very funny, very emotional, and has very unforgettable moments and characters.

Girls' Last Tour aka Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou - Philosophical comedy abut living in a largely unknowable world in the face of inevitable death. With two cute female leads and bouncy music because, hey, Japan. One of the major cultural works of this century. Seriously. (Sub)

Konosuba - Dysfunctional group comedy in D&D land (with an autistic female lead) (Sub)

Panty And Stocking With Garterbelt - A darker, more experimental Japanese cousin of Archer and Rick And Morty. (Dub.) Yes, darker than Rick & Morty. For added hilarity, there's an episode where Jami Marchi and Monica Rial kill a sex pest played by Vic The Kickable, if you know who those people are. Amazing comedy dialogue. Which I can't link to here because of the show's notorious frequent use of the f-word - Panty Anarchy, one of the two main characters, rivals Al Swearengen in her use of profanity. Including one use of the much worse f-word than the one ending with k...

Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill the two ultimate action shows (Dub)

Yokohama Shopping Expedition - The gentle decline of the human race seen through the eyes of an android who runs a little-visited coffee shop. Very French Movie. (Sub)

Humanity Has Declined - The hilarious decline of the human race seen through a self-contained young woman who makes sweets for the "fairies" who are replacing homo sap. It's like a Jack Vance meets Philip K Dick thing, for those who know their SF. (sub)

Dominion Tank Police Series 1 - Japan's take on early Judge Dredd when it was funny. (Dub)

Zombieland Saga - Loveable zombie girls try to make it as idols. (Sub)

Ouran Hostclub - Romcon. (Dub.)

March Comes In Like A Lion - an autistic teenager struggles with life and his career playing Japanese chess

Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man - Two action comedies with autistic heroes. (Autistic characters have been huge in anime lately.) "Mob" isn't as violent as it sounds - it Japanese English it means the character is a member of the mob in the sense of being someone who fits into the background.(Sub, dub)

Goblin Slayer - Brutal look at what living in a D&D world would really be like. Likeable main characters, explicit violence. (Sub)

Miss Kobyashi's Dragon Maid - Lesbian romcom. Dragon falls in love with autistic computer programmer, computer programmer adopts autistic dragon daughter. (Sub)

Dorohedoro - Vastly imaginative action/horror. Think Cronenberg meets Terry Gilliam.

Samurai Champloo - Samurai era road movie. Combines the cool with the whacky. (Dub.)

Space Patrol Luluco - Sugar-bomb surreal SF comedy about first love. (DEFINITELY the sub.)

Inferno Cop - Surreal action comedy (sub)

Last edited:
Dorohedoro is great. If you can find the manga READ IT. It's awesome!

Dominion Tank Police is good, But like most if not all of Masamune Shirow's work (Ghost in the shell, Black Magic, Appleseed) it loses a lot going from manga to film.
(who would have thought that you loose nuance and pacing going from text to manga, graphic novel, or comic to TV series to Film)

@KekkenKrad love the avatar gotta love a Sonderkraftfahrzeug

Paranoia Agent
Perfect Blue
Space Adventure Cobra
Golgo 13
Crusher Joe
Bubblegum Crisis (the original OVAs)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
The Vision of Escaflowne
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Mobile Police Patlabor (especially the first two movies)
Nausicaa in the Valley of the Wind
Laputa - Castle in the Sky (unfortunate name for a great anime movie)
Boogiepop Phantom
Toward the Terra
Devilman Crybaby
Your Name
Summer Wars
Gundam 0080
Gundam 0083
Blood Omen - Curse of the Yoma
Akira
Memories
The Tale of Genji
Cat Soup
Belladonna of Sadness
Martian Successor Nadesico
Shin Cutey Honey
Dragon Pink
Megazone 23
Macross (the original series, accept no substitutes)
Golden Boy
Record of Lodoss War (the OVAs, not the TV series)
Hakaba Kitarou
The Crime Severing Edge
Made in Abyss
Silent Mobius
Dirty Pair - Project Eden
Dominion Tank Police (not the dub)
Crying Freeman
Sanctuary
Giant Robo
Devil Lady
Barefoot Gen
Gundam Victory
Gunbuster
Orguss
Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend

I think that's a large enough list of favorites for now.

Akira has great animation! Read the Manga if you have the chance the plot will make more sense.
Nausicaa of the valley of the wind - The manga is my favorite!
Stien's Gate - It's better when you don't know anything about it so i'm not going to tell you.
Moretsu Pirates is fun and silly (in my opinion) kind of a weird way to take the concept of a letter of marque.
Angel Beats - had me thinking about what was important to me.
High School Fleet - another girls in war machines story - a rather silly concept, the crews are too small and tasks too technical for a high school education - I mean come on they put a crew of ~18 on a Kagerō-class destroyer(DD) that should have ~239, never mind the yamato-class Battleship(BB) in the film that should have ~2700 crew and officers. Yeah that might work if you fill in the remaining openings with adults, then they would just be midshipmen learning the trade, but expecting high school kids to captain a 2,500 ton destroyer is asking for deaths.

Made in Abyss is a shoe-in for my no. 1
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (yes, it’s a very misleading title)
Toradora (because I’m a total sap)
Madoka Magica
5 Centimeters Per Second
(it’s Makoto Shinkai’s best film and no one can convince me otherwise)
When Marnie Was There
Girls’ Last Tour
Princess Tutu
The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl

My to-watch list is getting pretty out of hand, too:D

Made in Abyss is a shoe-in for my no. 1
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai (yes, it’s a very misleading title)
Toradora (because I’m a total sap)
Madoka Magica
5 Centimeters Per Second
(it’s Makoto Shinkai’s best film and no one can convince me otherwise)
When Marnie Was There
Girls’ Last Tour
Princess Tutu
The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl

My to-watch list is getting pretty out of hand, too:D
Except I think "The Garden of Words" was Shinkai's best. :)

Except I think "The Garden of Words" was Shinkai's best. :)
Interesting choice! If I had to pick one of his from the
last few years, it would be Weathering With You. More to do with seeing it in theaters was my introduction to his work than anything else, probably, but I could drop anything and watch it, any time <3 Just a sight to behold.

New Threads

Top Bottom