• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Fantasy Housing?

wadorama

V.I.P Member
Money no object (ha) mine is a square acre surrounded by a chain-link fence topped with barbed-wire, and a small brick house with a basement smack-dab in the middle of the lot. Security, privacy and days spent compressing grass blades underfoot instead of carpet fibers (useful because I doubt I’d mow it much). No shared walls/ceilings/floors so no startling noises or overheard arguments. Sort of like a self-induced micro-prison sans unwanted sodomy risk. Stores and a hospital maybe twenty minutes away.

Yours?

Being part of the equivalent of a retirement village just for Aspies.

Self sufficient, everyone contributing their skills.
chitty chat limited to the task in hand. You're buying something from the shop the conversation is business.
You're taking your car to get fixed at the garage the conversation is about the fault.
You're dropping the children at the local school the conversation is development and education.

There will be a Met Office Outpost if anyone wants to go and talk about the weather.
A medical centre to discuss health and well-being.

chitty chat limited to the task in hand. You're buying something from the shop the conversation is business.
You're taking your car to get fixed at the garage the conversation is about the fault.
You're dropping the children at the local school the conversation is development and education.

There will be a Met Office Outpost if anyone wants to go and talk about the weather.

Sounds awesome. Fantasy aside, I had actually wondered if similar places existed (my island search) but then figured it was probably like looking for an agnostic church.

Money no object?
Buy a small 3000+ foot paved airport.
Build a nice but small residence at one end of the runway.
Build a huge garage/racecar shop at the other end.
Drive a dragster back and forth between my home and my shop.
Invite my aviator friends to drop by from time to time.
And live happily ever after :p

Driving that dragster for the commute :)

It would be worth forgetting your keys just as an excuse to have to do the whole commute again.

Money no object?
Buy a small 3000+ foot paved airport.
Build a nice but small residence at one end of the runway.
Build a huge garage/racecar shop at the other end.
Drive a dragster back and forth between my home and my shop.
Invite my aviator friends to drop by from time to time.
And live happily ever after :p

Oh heck yeah!
Can't believe I left internal combustion engines out of mine. Put a go-kart track around my house.

50,000 acres of grass with a good fishing/floating river in the middle and a classic canned ham RV or a hobbit house not far from the river right in the middle of the 50,000 acres.

Total sensory friendly: all concrete floors, high end air purifiers everywhere, zero carbon , solar panels, no gas or oil furnace, all zero voc paint, plants everywhere, walking track inside huge, closed in tree covered lot,. HUGE LOADED GYM in the basement with hundreds of pieces. Massive bookshelf with ALL the Loeb Classics.

It would likely have a moat and a remote-controlled drawbridge. The rest I can improvise as I go along. :p

But some place nowhere near any fault lines. ;)

Last edited:
It might come as no surprise that an aspie like myself would want to live someplace out in the country, with a long driveway to reflect my desire to be alone most of the time. Not urban or suburban, nor completely isolated from civilization, but just far enough from major population centers to be relatively free from the f**kery inherent in people, but close enough that I won't have to drive an hour each way just for a grocery run. I'd love for my backyard to be a forested area near some mountains and / or a river. New Hampshire, Vermont, or Maine seems like a solid fit for that ideal location.

As for the house proper, I haven't put too much thought into it until just now, but I envision that it would have a large living room with shag carpets, a big leather couch, and expansive skylight windows. Not to mention a hundred-inch flat-screen TV with a home theater, surround sound, and all my video games. Also in this area would be a sliding door leading out to a stone patio.

The kitchen would have all the latest appliances, with a pantry, granite countertops and ample cabinet and drawer space, plus a central counter "island" with some stools for visitors who want a quick breakfast.

There'd be a gym in the basement with all the equipment necessary for me to finally make a coherent exercise regimen a regular thing for me. Also in the basement would be the laundry room, with one of those small freight elevators leading up to my bedroom.

In the event that I make enough friends to wanna throw a party sometime, there'd be a dining room with a long table and lots of chairs. Adjacent to it would be a lounge area (with a small bar, billiard table, and speakers linked up to the living room's sound system) and the aforementioned kitchen and living room.

Also on the first floor would be a guest bedroom and a full bathroom.

Upstairs there'd be my living area. The master bedroom would be a sensory heaven for me, with a king-size bed, a balcony / deck, a light dimmer, and some kind of waterfall-like fixture that would have the sound of running water to serve as white noise for when I sleep. Although with a river nearby, that last thing would be a moot point. The bedroom would also have a walk-in closet and an old-fashioned wood-paneled interior.

The bathroom would have everything you'd expect a bathroom to have, although the tub would also feature jacuzzi jets and a detchable showerhead.

My office and library would be one room and adjacent to my bed- and bathroom. It would bear a similar interior design to my bedroom, plus all the books in my collection and more, all in physical hard copies. There'd be a fireplace here, along with a large comfy chair, a bear pelt rug, a grandfather clock, and my desk where I'd have a state-of-the-art computer set up.

Truth be told, all this fantasizing aside, I'm pretty flexible with the kinds of places I can make my "home". Just as long as I have privacy and the bare-bones utilities (working AC and heating, running water, lighting, etc.) and I don't have to live in fear of being kicked out every day - I'm all set. I could care less if it's a mansion or a trailer.

Actually, I am making plans for my own "perfect place" that will actually exist. Here's what I've got so far:

The land is about 20 miles from the county seat, which itself has only about 8,000 people, but which has a Walmart and full service grocery store. It is in a hilly area with no cell phone service or utilities of any kind. The area had a number of 1 hectare (2.5 acre) lots carved into it in the 1960s by a long since forgotten land speculator. Due to the lack of cell service, the lots are unwanted by the Chinese Mafia families that have been buying up similar areas in much of the rest of the county to grow marijuana. (The crop caretakers use smartphones to keep in contact with their bosses.)

I will put a 10 foot by 12 foot shed on the property (anything larger needs a permit) and outfit it myself. Solar panel and wind turbine for electricity, rainwater cistern for water. (It rains a lot.) The cabin will have a sink and shower, and a bucket with a toilet seat on top for poo. (If you add organic matter, such as horse bedding, to the bucket the poo decomposes. Then when you need to dump it you mix it with lye.) I will use electricity for cooking. The only reason I will have a propane tank is for a small on demand hot water heater. Other than that it will be totally self-sufficient except for food and stuff like clothing. And it will be partially self-sufficient in food.

I will have chicken and duck pens for meat and eggs. I don't eat much in the way of fruits or veggies. I can maybe grow potatoes for carbs or keep well stocked with pasta.

So that is my perfect place, hopefully in a couple years. I will have a satellite dish for internet. I don't watch TV or play video games.

There was a poster on Wrong Planet a few years ago who said she wanted to create just such an area in rural Colorado. Unfortunately, she died of cancer first. :(:mad:

Seriously I think you're on to something!
When you find a place, let me know! I'm in!

So my answer would be everything Gracey said

PLUS there would be a community coffee shop where everyone was invited to drop in every day just to make sure they were doing ok
and if anyone failed to turn up they would be contacted by a pre-arranged method of their choice to see if they needed help of any kind.

Actually, I am making plans for my own "perfect place" that will actually exist. Here's what I've got so far:

The land is about 20 miles from the county seat, which itself has only about 8,000 people, but which has a Walmart and full service grocery store. It is in a hilly area with no cell phone service or utilities of any kind. The area had a number of 1 hectare (2.5 acre) lots carved into it in the 1960s by a long since forgotten land speculator. Due to the lack of cell service, the lots are unwanted by the Chinese Mafia families that have been buying up similar areas in much of the rest of the county to grow marijuana. (The crop caretakers use smartphones to keep in contact with their bosses.)

I will put a 10 foot by 12 foot shed on the property (anything larger needs a permit) and outfit it myself. Solar panel and wind turbine for electricity, rainwater cistern for water. (It rains a lot.) The cabin will have a sink and shower, and a bucket with a toilet seat on top for poo. (If you add organic matter, such as horse bedding, to the bucket the poo decomposes. Then when you need to dump it you mix it with lye.) I will use electricity for cooking. The only reason I will have a propane tank is for a small on demand hot water heater. Other than that it will be totally self-sufficient except for food and stuff like clothing. And it will be partially self-sufficient in food.

I will have chicken and duck pens for meat and eggs. I don't eat much in the way of fruits or veggies. I can maybe grow potatoes for carbs or keep well stocked with pasta.

So that is my perfect place, hopefully in a couple years. I will have a satellite dish for internet. I don't watch TV or play video games.

Let me add this up. Hilly, Chinese mafia families, growing marijuana, rains a lot, lack of cell service, hectares... SO.... You live in British Columbia?

My place would be I guess in many ways typical of many upscale homes on a huge piece of land. Home theater in the basement. Nice huge kitchen, Luxury bathroom, Bedroom is basically a place to sleep. I would have a garage that would put a grin on the face of any professional race car mechanic. A warehouse full of awesome classic and contemporary cars and motorcycles. A runway cause I'd like to start flying airplanes too. And an underground bomb survival shelter because why the hell not. A shooting range outside. A massive green house/bird sanctuary which would house many exotic birds and plants together. This would require a staff to take care of so I would have to make sure it's not too close to my house. The home would be of high security with a concrete wall around the perimeter which would amount to several kilometers long. A series of stun weapons around the perimeter with LRAD speakers that would spout loud warnings for people to get away from the walls. I would even be really nice since money is no object and have LED display screens displaying what the speakers are saying in the off chance a deaf person has come against my wall. After several warnings (and some bursts of literally blinding LRAD noise) if people don't comply they effectively get tasered. If they recover from that and still haven't learned their lesson they get tasered again. A person could approach the front gate and ask to enter. If I am not home or don't want to see them they have 5 minutes to leave before the defense system kicks in. That goes down to 0 minutes if they try to forcefully get past the wall or gate.

Hmmm... that sounds like a lonely place to live. It's good that sort of thing doesn't bother me. :grimacing:

There was a poster on Wrong Planet a few years ago who said she wanted to create just such an area in rural Colorado. Unfortunately, she died of cancer first. :(:mad:

vickygleitz?

I haven't been on WrongPlanet for a very long time, but your post kind of freaked me out and made me sad so I went searching for confirmation of her having died; I did this by searching for authaven (the autistic retreat she started in Colorado) and found no mention of her death -- and following a link about authaven 2017 to WP and then clicking on her username shows her last visit to WP as today at 8:00pm.....so unless someone else is using her profile, this leads me to believe she is alive. I could, of course, be wrong, but I hope I am not -- she always seemed like such an amazing person....so kind to everyone, so full of hope and encouragement and creative ideas.

I also found that AutHaven Community is now a project to build an intentional autistic community, (The link is to a GoFundMe page with a blurb about the project. I am not fundraising for them, it just happens to be where I found out about it.)

Last edited:
Land lovers... : )

I want a yahct w/ heliport, small katamaran, a Sea Doo, fishing stuff, and scuba gear. Fully stocked for months on the seas at a time. This also takes me to my private island in South Pacific where I have a secret cove to pull in. I have no need for a house, I have the boat.

I will raise food and make a rum empire on the island to support my lifestyle. I would make it look like head hunters live there on the outer banks to scare away a few trespassers, and then go temple of doom in the inner circles. Most the time I would just stay on the water and go around the world as many times as I could. I would keep my drag car stored somewhere in SoCal, so I could fly in and have fun with it every now and then.

I would fly an Aspie flag to confuse the pirates and become sovereign to become free of any government. Yep, I can dream big, now just getting it out of my head into the physical...

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 12.02.00 AM.png

Land lovers... : )

I want a yahct w/ heliport, small katamaran, a Sea Doo, fishing stuff, and scuba gear. Fully stocked for months on the seas at a time. This also takes me to my private island in South Pacific where I have a secret cove to pull in. I have no need for a house, I have the boat.

I will raise food and make a rum empire on the island to support my lifestyle. I would make it look like head hunters live there on the outer banks to scare away a few trespassers, and then go temple of doom in the inner circles. Most the time I would just stay on the water and go around the world as many times as I could. I would keep my drag car stored somewhere in SoCal, so I could fly in and have fun with it every now and then.

I would fly an Aspie flag to confuse the pirates and become sovereign to become free of any government. Yep, I can dream big, now just getting it out of my head into the physical...

View attachment 38460

I would love to come and visit......but only if it's really calm as I get horribly seasick!

So.....you will have no problem killing your own meat?

New Threads

Top Bottom