• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Falling in love with singlehood: Why single status is on the rise (article)

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
This seemed kind of interesting.

February may find some people longing for a partner to celebrate Valentine’s Day, yet statistics show that more Canadians are single than ever before.

As of 2021, among 25-to-29-year-olds, 60 per cent reported single status, as did roughly 30 per cent of 35-to-74-year-olds. Singlehood is on the rise, however the factors that make singlehood rewarding or challenging are not well known.

Simon Fraser University (SFU) psychology professor Yuthika Girme is a relationship and singlehood scientist, and leads the Singlehood Experiences and Complexities Underlying Relationships—Secure Research Lab at SFU. Girme and her team study factors in romantic relationships and singlehood that contribute to wellbeing, with a specific focus on peoples’ attachment insecurities, social support networks, experiences of stigma and discrimination and other complexities of social relationships.

A recipient of the Excellence in Teaching Award from SFU, she also hosts a podcast, Merlot with my Beau, with partner Steve Miller where they discuss the psychology behind close relationships and peoples' unique and complex personalities.

Girme and colleagues Yoobin Park from the University of California and Geoff MacDonald from the University of Toronto recently published Coping or Thriving? Reviewing Intrapersonal, Interpersonal, and Societal Factors Associated With Well-Being in Singlehood From a Within-Group Perspective. The article reviews the literature related to wellbeing in singlehood and offers a framework for future research. It was recently highlighted in The Conversation Canada.

We spoke to professor Girme about her research.

According to your research, what are some of the common myths associated with singlehood?

A commonly held belief is that single people are lonely, sad and desperate for a partner. Emerging research on single people suggests that this is not completely true. While some people do struggle with being single, there are many single people who are happy, thriving and not interested in pursuing a romantic relationship.

Why is singlehood on the rise in Canada? Is this the same in other parts of the world?
Singlehood is on the rise globally. There are more single adults now than there have ever been in recent history. Singlehood is becoming more common as people delay committed relationships in order to pursue personal goals and aspirations, as people re-enter singlehood later in life due to separation or divorce, and some people are choosing to remain single throughout their lifespan.

There is a large number of studies about relationships and wellbeing, but not as many about singlehood and wellbeing. Why do you think this is—and is there a new way to frame the way we look at singlehood?
Historically, many of the studies that examined singlehood compared single people to married people. These studies found that coupled people tend to be happier, healthier and live longer than single people, so scientists focused their attention on helping people foster happy and long-lasting romantic relationships.

Our research is revisiting early assumptions about singlehood. We show that one reason single people may be unhappy is because they are treated poorly by their family, friends and society. This perspective challenges assumptions that there is “something wrong” with single people and aims to broaden understanding about the factors that undermine versus facilitate single peoples’ wellbeing.

What led you into the emerging field of study of intimate relationships and the single experience?
I “fell in love” with relationship science because romantic relationships can be the absolute best thing for people by providing people with love, support and companionship, but also the absolute worst thing by causing hurt, rejection, conflict and abuse. This led me to singlehood science, because single people may be able to avoid costly relationships.

For example, my research has shown that single people can be just as happy as coupled people when they are motivated to avoid conflict and disagreements. This opened up broader questions for me about integrating singlehood and relationship science to better understand peoples’ social world.

What are some of the factors that help promote healthy relationships—whether in singlehood or in romantic partnerships?
There are many factors that promote healthy relationships regardless of whether people are single or coupled.
Some factors reflect personal characteristics—having the capacity to develop secure attachments with others, having high self-esteem and clarity about one’s self-identity, and having the ability to regulate positive and negative emotions in healthy ways.
Other factors are relational—making sure that within social relationships with family, friends and partners, one is able to communicate and deal with conflict constructively, provide reciprocal social support and nurture quality time engaging in shared hobbies or interests together.

For more, read Girme’s op-ed in the Toronto Star: Is it time we cancelled Valentine’s Day?

Valentine’s Day aims to “celebrate love,” but it may be doing more harm than good — for couples and singles.

Each year, people spend billions of dollars trying to create the “perfect” day for love. Americans, for example, spent $26 billion on Valentine’s Day in 2023. Global data also show that the average person in the U.K., Hong Kong, Germany, Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand spends $100-$150 on Valentine’s Day.

Aside from the cost, people’s relationships can also get worse and couples be more likely to break up in the two weeks surrounding Valentine’s Day. Why is Valentine’s Day harmful to relationships?

The exchange of gifts or promise of a perfect date night can place a lot of pressure on people. People may also experience disappointment if Valentine’s Day doesn’t live up to their expectations or if they receive a bad gift. Photos and declarations of love on social media may also lead people to compare their relationship to “picture perfect” couples, which can also be harmful to relationships.

Valentine’s Day can also be damaging for single people, who account for nearly half of the adult population in societies around the world. Single people may feel excluded from Valentine’s Day celebrations, feel like there is something wrong with them, and feel pressure to find a partner. Research from my lab also shows that single people have to deal with unwanted questions and comments from family and friends about not having a partner.

All of this is not to hate on love, but Valentine’s Day may be failing to recognize that love comes in all forms and in all kinds of relationships. How might we celebrate Valentine’s Day instead?

Every day can be Valentine’s Day.
Rather than focusing on grand gestures of love once a year, show your appreciation in small and meaningful ways more often.
Our research on date nights shows that what you do on your date nights doesn’t matter so much, but being on the same page about prioritizing closeness and intimacy even during everyday interactions is what matters.

Everyone can celebrate Valentine’s Day.
Rather than focusing only on romantic love, reflect on all the different people in your life that you love. Show your family, friends, colleagues, pets and community how much you love and appreciate them!

My review of the research on singlehood suggests that broadening your conceptualizations of love beyond romantic relationships will not only benefit you, but will create a society that values and accepts everyone.

So, whether you’re partnered or single, consider how to celebrate love in ways that are authentic and inclusive — today, tomorrow, the day after that, and sure, on Feb. 14 too.

Reminds me I've heard some info say that there will be more childless women than ever before in the future like let's say by the year 2030 or 2040 I could have sworn I've read information like that

Reminds me I've heard some info say that there will be more childless women than ever before in the future like let's say by the year 2030 or 2040 I could have sworn I've read information like that
I think this is correct
There's some probably genuine information about this floating around on the web.

The date was 2030, so it's near future. IIRC the stat is some "round number" proportion of women between 35 and 45 who've never had a child and never been married. Somewhere in the range '40% to 50%', but anyway it's the largest ever, and still growing.

This is more-or-less a restatement of the coming population collapse, but focuses on the "non-participant" numbers rather then the aggregates such as fertility rates.
Note that population is limited by the "one woman, nine months" constraint.
Statistically there's no need to count non-participant men (yet :) Numerically, something similar seems to be happening with men, but nobody cares - among men, only "winners" are noticed.

It's very probably too late to change this trend. There's almost nobody paying attention to the societal consequences, and there are a lot of people actively (and selfishly) working against addressing long-term issues.

Last edited:
Another variable is the rise in this dysphoria that some young women are having regarding themselves, their self-worth, and what kind of man they are willing to "settle for". There have been several podcasts and videos on this trend. These young women who are "average" who think they are a lot more than that, that want a man over 6 ft tall, muscular physique, making $200,000+/yr, and is a true "alpha". All the while, not realizing this is less than 1% of males and they are already married, and then looking past and ignoring the 99% of males that make up the rest of the population. Furthermore, these women are sharing the same few men. When the "body count" of a young woman in her 20's is quite high, and yet some 40% or more of men in their 30's are still virgins, it says a lot. There's a few single men getting a lot of tail, a few married men with their wives, and a whole lot of single males who aren't getting any action at all.

You see these young women on TikTok and Instagram making all these racy videos with links to their OnlyFans, all the while, talking about how desirable they are, how "top shelf" they are because they have all these subscribers, making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year showing off their body and being promiscuous, then claiming they want a man who is an "alpha". Oh no! No way! Sure, you're kind of cute, but seriously, no one is going to touch you with a 10-foot pole. These so-called "alpha males" are not looking for you, honey, they've already found nice women. The level of narcissism and sociopathy, and delusion, in someone who does this, I can't imagine being in the same room with them.

Last edited:
I ran into a friend of mine last night (one of my photographer friends), with his wife... The topic of me being single came up, not in a bad way...

He's 45 now, with children, they were out on a date night without the kids... I'm 52 and have never been even close to marriage, or really even a girlfriend... But for most of my life I have completely okay with being single...

With Jeff and his wife I did mention my Autism diagnosis, and one of my characteristics of the diagnosis is having difficulty with expressing emotion, or even feeling emotion, which I think is one big reason why I've always been single, and once again it doesn't bother me and hasn't bothered me for years now...

I think in a positive way that status has allowed me to focus on my photography, maybe too much sometimes :smirk:

Valentine's Day 1 Million BC

cavewoman.gif

Where's my Chocolate!

;)

Last edited:
I ran into a friend of mine last night (one of my photographer friends), with his wife... The topic of me being single came up, not in a bad way...
When I was in my 30s my sister asked me about my still being single. I told her that I have nothing against marriage itself as long as I don't have to actually live with them.

She laughed a bit then asked me if I ever get lonely. I lied. I said "Of course I get lonely, but that beats the hell out of being tormented.". The truth is that I don't get lonely, I never did, not even as a small child, but telling people that worries them for reasons I never really understood.

I had many girlfriends over the years, only one of them had kids. The rest were single working professionals that had similar lifestyles to my own. These women were very like me in attitude, they were happy with how their lives were and they had no intention of settling down and having families. They also had no interest in men that were possessive, emotionally dependent and clingy. They didn't want a husband, just someone they could have fun with.

A rem

He's 45 now, with children, they were out on a date night without the kids... I'm 52 and have never been even close to marriage, or really even a girlfriend... But for most of my life I have completely okay with being single...

With Jeff and his wife I did mention my Autism diagnosis, and one of my characteristics of the diagnosis is having difficulty with expressing emotion, or even feeling emotion, which I think is one big reason why I've always been single, and once again it doesn't bother me and hasn't bothered me for years now...

I think in a positive way that status has allowed me to focus on my photography, maybe too much sometimes :smirk:
A reminder of how cruel nature can be

The reason people love it is because more and more people are just annoying others with their habits.
They are less helpful, have more troubles.
Good luck finding people who actually try their hardest to be nice to you and patient too sometimes considering the digital age.
So therefore until humans get off devices, start seeking a higher power and start being grateful for what they have then they will never treat people kindly.
It is like the old saying a pack of dogs stick together
For starters I hate this analogy on so many levels and think it is an insult to dogs who a lot of the time love no matter what so how can you relate humans to dogs.
Dogs will love better always.
But essentially horrible humans stick to their own type and just endure and bear it
But kind people are few and far between
So that is why is it good to be alone because you will always treat yourself as well as you can and no one there to annoy the hell out of you and you can maintain your peace.
And apparently it is wrong to think it is not annoying to knock on a door each 5 seconds to check up on you when in the bath or talk incessantly in your ear as much as possible when you just want peace and quiet.
So sometimes there is nothing like peace of mind without others annoying the hell put of you by their many bad habits and incessant impatience with everything cannot be patient for 5 minutes even.
5 mins is obviously too long for someone to wait for someone or something.

It would be difficult to legitimately argue that the present age of: "The World According to Me.", namely the prevalence of its proponents, isn't unprecedented. It is unprecedented.

When either person in a relationship believes that they themselves, their mere presence is their main contribution to the relationship/marriage, singlehood would undoubtedly be a better choice.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom