• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Facebook and other social media

Aussieaspie91

Hi all,

I couldn't find any threads relating to social skills and communication on social media.

Personally I own a Facebook page since at the end of 2008 after I graduated high school. The reason why I joined this is because of being contactable for my family and friends as being away for University course.

Over the years Facebook has structured my life a lot, because its usually where people that already met and others with interest to meet for social gatherings and related. However I find this disastrous to me because I ended up with a lot of rejections, exposing who they are aren't being my friends. Unfortunately, as being a young mature and good person I find this a little annoying seeing lot of Facebook likes and comments focused on 'stupid', 'sexual' and 'unintentional' things.

Every time when I see people making jokes relating to sexual class it always see me as offensive if I make a joke of my own. I don't understand why people see me as not a joke compared to them are told me they are joking. I always see people get much more likes and comments than my status and photos relating to non-stupid and good things like 'got a job' _ get 15 likes, other person who is attractively popular or social founder get over 150 likes. I don't judge what type of job, what I get is a cafe job, but that person who get over 150 likes have a dead end job like I have. Also when I see girls post pictures of themselves like a selfie, they get so many likes and comments. Its so frustrating when I make a status I always get no responses and no likes. It makes me feel ashamed as making myself appear 'talking to myself for no reason'.

Does really Facebook expose the person's personality? I don't understand why so many people blame and not considering a person who have a disability like ASD or hearing loss?

On the outside world, without using Facebook consumption time, I get a same result of how people approach to me. It make the entire world looks like a Facebook/social media world.

Its heartbreaking to me unfortunately, I always see people being terribly aggressive and sees me in a wrong way. I just don't get why labeling me. I feel so lonely when I get not many likes or comments on Facebook - as judged when people sees my posts and don't use it. I also feel lonely on the outside world because I get so many people approach to me and don't know how to communicate with me.

Anyone else share similar experiences especially with social media - influences with your outside world too?

Let put it step by step.

No matter how hard we try, we won't get the number of likes 'other people' have.

You just want your opinions to be heard or discussed.

Well, you're not alone. The way we post on Facebook may be perceived differently by other people (who look at our Facebook pages), including the way we interact, which many of us find it hard to deal with other people.

Maybe we can remind ourselves,
"Facebook is just one part of our life. Never let it affect us. Never let how others' perception of Facebook affect us, too."

Social media "likes" may seem important, but they're really not the kind of validation anybody should worry about, in my opinion. I don't care if complete strangers give a darn about anything I do. I value the support of my friends and loved ones. If I get more from others, that's great, but I don't require it to feel good about myself. Not anymore.

Social media "likes" may seem important, but they're really not the kind of validation anybody should worry about, in my opinion. I don't care if complete strangers give a darn about anything I do. I value the support of my friends and loved ones. If I get more from others, that's great, but I don't require it to feel good about myself. Not anymore.
Is it ironic that I just liked your above post?

I always see people get much more likes and comments than my status and photos relating to non-stupid and good things like 'got a job' _ get 15 likes, other person who is attractively popular or social founder get over 150 likes. I don't judge what type of job, what I get is a cafe job, but that person who get over 150 likes have a dead end job like I have. Also when I see girls post pictures of themselves like a selfie, they get so many likes and comments. Its so frustrating when I make a status I always get no responses and no likes. It makes me feel ashamed as making myself appear 'talking to myself for no reason'.

I observed this too, when using Facebook. From what I can tell a lot of it comes down to how many inconsequential people you have friended, and how willing you are to post things that will attract attention/likes/etc from those people. I have a few friends/family members whose posts and pictures frequently accumulate a large number of likes, but they are also people who have 400+ people as 'friends', whereas I have a grand total of 68 haha.

Facebook is a self-serving device that feeds egoism, don't get too upset that people don't 'like' your statuses - 'liking' a status doesn't mean those people care any more or less than they would have had they not.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think a person's true self-worth is inversely related to the number of social media friends he or she has.

Facebook is a weird thing, funny how we can have so many 'friends' on there that we don't consider friends at all. I think I have around 400 friends on there but only talk to & interact with a handful of them. Always tempted to just delete a whole bunch of the ones I don't really have anything to do with since Facebook gets on my nerves - I use Instagram a lot more.

I observed this too, when using Facebook. From what I can tell a lot of it comes down to how many inconsequential people you have friended, and how willing you are to post things that will attract attention/likes/etc from those people. I have a few friends/family members whose posts and pictures frequently accumulate a large number of likes, but they are also people who have 400+ people as 'friends', whereas I have a grand total of 68 haha.

Facebook is a self-serving device that feeds egoism, don't get too upset that people don't 'like' your statuses - 'liking' a status doesn't mean those people care any more or less than they would have had they not.

I'm not sure about the last part of what you said. I have a feeling that people do care if they like something. I have 345 friends on my list. I compared to someone who have a closer number to my amount but they get more 'caring likes and comments' than I do - especially in familiar topic. I'm concerned about the youth people - they always seem into 'being young in stupid and not caring for future' ways.

What I think Rex means is that people care about "likes" for maybe about five minutes. Then the effect wears off. Trust me. They don't matter.

And I don't think today's youth are, generally speaking, necessarily any worse than the generations that came before them. You're making a very sweeping statement about a whole lot of people. It's neither accurate nor fair.

Facebook is also a sharing sources. I ask people to share a video of my speech to other people on their wall. Its so different environment when I am at the public speaking location compared using the video online. No one give a **** online whilst people came to me and say thank you after my speech. Audience target is a lot higher on Facebook than a typical public event.

I uploaded this video about youth and climate futures issues this morning (public speaking yesterday evening) and still no shares. I noticed there were over 150 friends were online since then. I don't give a **** how busy they are. Because I seen many other videos within a same reason like I did have been shared instantaneously. This is a proof of 'how caring' people are, in equivalent under my Facebook name is an 'attention'. I'm not trying to get everyone on this planet to get attention for me, but this is different because I am giving an important message to the communities and it is essential to be shared.

It may be more worthwhile to employ a form of social media besides Facebook, or at least share your videos through environmental groups on Facebook. Your success rate will be much higher with a target audience in mind. Sharing your videos with 150+ assorted friends that you probably barely know just isn't going to cut it. It's not a personal problem with you---you just need a different marketing strategy.

I'm the odd woman out here: not on FB at all, not since years. It used to be such a useful tool, until it wasn't.

Somehow, people who care still manage to stay in touch with me. I don't miss the "likes."

(I do miss being able to view baby/wedding/etc albums and leave comments they were happy to read, rather than having to download dozens of pictures and write an e-mail oohing and ahhing.)

How much time do you spend on FB daily?

I don't use Facebook at all. I rely on LinkedIn for job-related activities, but that's it aside from more personal forums like this one. I may get a Twitter account soon out of necessity, though. It may be useful in my hunt for long-term employment.

I wish I delete Facebook but everything is now dependent on it. It's so annoying. You will find something is a little out of hand.

I believe Aspies are not capable of social media because of social and anxiety issues?

I wish I delete Facebook but everything is now dependent on it. It's so annoying. You will find something is a little out of hand.

I believe Aspies are not capable of social media because of social and anxiety issues?

For me, yes, social and anxiety issues make me really unhappy on Facebook. But you need that Facebook account to get more promotional offers, so :(

AussieAspie, I believe it's possible to adjust the settings so you can choose *how* you use FB. For example, you don't have to post things on your wall at all, right? Or you can shut down your wall from others' view, so you just use it as you like and are not playing the like-collection game.

I wouldn't share your video. Then again I don't necessarily share your viewpoint. And I wouldn't give a *hit [your words] about whether you gave a *hit about me sharing it or not.

What I'm trying to say is; what's important to you may not mean that much to anyone else, and you shouldn't read much more into it.

Only in our own heads does the world revolve around us.

I uploaded this video about youth and climate futures issues this morning (public speaking yesterday evening) and still no shares. I noticed there were over 150 friends were online since then. I don't give a **** how busy they are. Because I seen many other videos within a same reason like I did have been shared instantaneously. This is a proof of 'how caring' people are, in equivalent under my Facebook name is an 'attention'. I'm not trying to get everyone on this planet to get attention for me, but this is different because I am giving an important message to the communities and it is essential to be shared.

New Threads

Top Bottom