• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employment challenges and Burnout

Difficult thing to decide for oneself as well as what to suggest. I did have two general thoughts on it. One was that isolation is good but only in good measure. Too much can cause it's own problems.

The other is to keep in mind the marketability of your profession.

View attachment 72443

Report: Catapult Industry Won’t Survive Another Year Without Medieval War Breaking Out

;)

Fair points. I don't think I am smart enough to understand what a medieval war has to do with all this. Lol. Could you please explain?

I think @Tom meant how some jobs are redundant when technology moves on, like telephonists aren't needed anymore for example, but both my parents worked in that area as a telephonist/switchboard operator and an engineer. That job ran out before my mum was 50. So the picture and the headline about medieval war is a joke, but the point is a real one that could be useful.

Ah yes I am fully aware. Well this is what i think will happen in the next 5-10 years: We will spend even more times indoors (I think the pandemic has already fast forwarded that process), the diffrences between the rich and poor increases, we will watch the effects of climate change, Jobs will slowly go away (unless we get to work on things that are digital/involve coding but these jobs will also go away at some point). and we will be fighting over Vitamin D supplements because there will be few fishies left in the sea (this one is a joke)

I just hope that there will be some sort of basic universial income, a plan for housing (prices are already high) and some sort of miracle for the mental health effects it will have to live in a metaverse sort of reality.

To fix all this I honestly have faith that only people on the spectrum will be able to turn this around and fix the global challenges we will be facing. I am only good at predicting, not fixing stuff apparently.

(This is perhaps not suited for this thread and I should start a new one at some point)

I can relate to the desire to work in an environment where everyone is honest, with integrity, and supportive of one another. My experience is that such an environment doesn’t exist, but I tried to find such an environment. My career began as a financial examiner, then a public accountant, bank auditor, information systems auditor, systems analyst, and most recently as a business analyst on a fraud examination team. Most of these jobs require that one abide by a code of ethics, yet I did not find people in these areas to be honest, full of integrity, or supportive. People are by nature competitive, and they naturally seek advantages over those they work with. Because of this I changed jobs and careers many times. I even went back to school and earned a Ph.D. In 2014. I was hired to teach at a prestigious university and completed an education program for new instructors. While I was doing this, the graduate Chair who hired me was replaced forcing me to interview with the new Chair. Unfortunately I completed new instructor training, but my offer of employment was rescinded. After this, I gave up on my quest to work in academia. In 2013 I experienced a meltdown on the job, and was not fully recovered from that. Now I work from home thanks to the pandemic, and I am reasonably happy not having to directly interact with people.

My advice is to accept the reality that a perfect work environment doesn’t exist, do the best job you can without any expectation of support or appreciation, and be happy with yourself.

I can relate to the desire to work in an environment where everyone is honest, with integrity, and supportive of one another. My experience is that such an environment doesn’t exist, but I tried to find such an environment. My career began as a financial examiner, then a public accountant, bank auditor, information systems auditor, systems analyst, and most recently as a business analyst on a fraud examination team. Most of these jobs require that one abide by a code of ethics, yet I did not find people in these areas to be honest, full of integrity, or supportive. People are by nature competitive, and they naturally seek advantages over those they work with. Because of this I changed jobs and careers many times. I even went back to school and earned a Ph.D. In 2014. I was hired to teach at a prestigious university and completed an education program for new instructors. While I was doing this, the graduate Chair who hired me was replaced forcing me to interview with the new Chair. Unfortunately I completed new instructor training, but my offer of employment was rescinded. After this, I gave up on my quest to work in academia. In 2013 I experienced a meltdown on the job, and was not fully recovered from that. Now I work from home thanks to the pandemic, and I am reasonably happy not having to directly interact with people.

My advice is to accept the reality that a perfect work environment doesn’t exist, do the best job you can without any expectation of support or appreciation, and be happy with yourself.

I am so sorry that you didn't find a supportive environment for you because you deserve the support. That's what discourages me from being in the academia as well, the competitiveness. You mentioned that you work from home now, What do you work with if I may ask?

I find it odd that many work environemnts aren't supportive. Isn't the whole point of teamwork to work TOGETHER and support each other so everyone suceeds?

I am so sorry that you didn't find a supportive environment for you because you deserve the support. That's what discourages me from being in the academia as well, the competitiveness. You mentioned that you work from home now, What do you work with if I may ask?

I find it odd that many work environemnts aren't supportive. Isn't the whole point of teamwork to work TOGETHER and support each other so everyone suceeds?

I work as a report developer and a system administrator for an enterprise application used by over 800 people in my company.

It only takes one or two self-centered, manipulative people to destroy a team. It is the team leader’s responsibility to manage personalities, lead, and get rid of these manipulative types. It can be very difficult to lead a diverse group of people.

Thank you for stating the facts. Ethical employees are punished, intimidated, bullied, gaslighted, fired for anything. And the higher you go, the more you come up against because there is always a hidden agenda in regards to power players. I tend think that to some extent - American is corrupt so l just work along in the given parameters and l don't beat myself up for job losses any more.

Thank you for stating the facts. Ethical employees are punished, intimidated, bullied, gaslighted, fired for anything. And the higher you go, the more you come up against because there is always a hidden agenda in regards to power players. I tend think that to some extent - American is corrupt so l just work along in the given parameters and l don't beat myself up for job losses any more.

That is my feeling also. Our goal is survival and to do our best work possible. Most (not all) autistic people I know are ill equipped to compromise our values to lie, cheat, or stab one another in the back to get ahead.

Difficult thing to decide for oneself as well as what to suggest. I did have two general thoughts on it. One was that isolation is good but only in good measure. Too much can cause it's own problems.

The other is to keep in mind the marketability of your profession.

View attachment 72443

Report: Catapult Industry Won’t Survive Another Year Without Medieval War Breaking Out

;)

I have come to realize that the main reason for my choosing so self-isolating from everyone is based on fear of rejection/Getting hurt lately. Ever since I realized I was on the spectrum, I have been afraid of meeting myself only for someone else to get offended, hurt by what I say or misunderstand me. I don't want to go on full masking again because I am burned out and I really would like to be liked for who I am. I am just not sure I can avoid making social/communication mistakes. That, really makes me sad.

I have come to realize that the main reason for my choosing so self-isolating from everyone is based on fear of rejection/Getting hurt lately. Ever since I realized I was on the spectrum, I have been afraid of meeting myself only for someone else to get offended, hurt by what I say or misunderstand me. I don't want to go on full masking again because I am burned out and I really would like to be liked for who I am. I am just not sure I can avoid making social/communication mistakes. That, really makes me sad.

Again it is difficult to advise, but some thoughts. Fear is very controlling. You can almost become a slave to the various fears. I am not sure if 'mastering' fears is actually attainable in many cases, but one can I believe push them back quite a bit.

There are also negative loops. For instance you avoid making social mistakes with iisolation but then over time loose your social skills, less uptodate on social protocols and become more like to make mistakes.

Not all stress is unmanagable. I found I am tolerant to certain types, though it was trial and error over years to find out which types were doable and which were debilitating. If you have problems with one type, it does not automatically mean you can't function in all types.

And because I like to end on a chuckle (if possible - aspies are a tough crowd) ;)

Not-lost-86208.jpg

Again it is difficult to advise, but some thoughts. Fear is very controlling. You can almost become a slave to the various fears. I am not sure if 'mastering' fears is actually attainable in many cases, but one can I believe push them back quite a bit.

There are also negative loops. For instance you avoid making social mistakes with iisolation but then over time loose your social skills, less uptodate on social protocols and become more like to make mistakes.

Not all stress is unmanagable. I found I am tolerant to certain types, though it was trial and error over years to find out which types were doable and which were debilitating. If you have problems with one type, it does not automatically mean you can't function in all types.

And because I like to end on a chuckle (if possible - aspies are a tough crowd) ;)

View attachment 72530

Why are you so wise (rhetorical question). You are right. It's a negative feedback loop where I distance myself to avoid miscommunication and rejection, only to have my social skills lowered.

What I really wish is to find a really good therapist that accepts me for who I am while simultaneously tells me how to improve upon my social skills, which would help bring back feelings of security, hope and social confidence.

I think what we often understand to be a social skills problem or issue, is more of an issue of different neurological functioning. Such as internal wiring that works differently and with effects on timing and comprehension that put us out of step with neurotypical communication. One of the best tips I have in these circumstances, is, to listen more and say less. Listen, nod along, use non verbal prompts such as uhuh, mmm, etc. Look interested.

It's often appreciated by others. As is humour!

New Threads

Top Bottom