• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Employment challenges and Burnout

Astrid-X

Hi everyone, hope you all are staying safe during this pandemic :)

I am a female with a masters degree in psychology (not licenced but educated on how to conduct research). I am approaching the end of my 20's. And I am kind of a newbie to my diagnosis (Awaiting the official one). Been having a tough time with it and apparently I am experiencing something called Autism Burnout.

I need to work because, well I have to pay my bills and live. However my burnout is a bit severe for now. I cannot deal with friends, family or other people. I know myself and I will probably recover from my depression and burnout in few months. But I am afraid I will get burned out again if I go out and try to find a new "typical" job again.

My friends tell me that I am very smart and that I have alot of potential but I think that I have gaps in my skill set. I can be slow, I need time, autonomy and I love to hyperfocus on a topic or interest. Not good with stress, multitasking or alot of negative feedback in a workplace. I think I am good at analyzing social/psychological systems and I can write pretty well. I love learning new things and my main hobby is video games.

I think I can do well with a Phd or research in general. However, these kind of environments are usually highly competitive and I don't do well with that. I love a work environment where people are honest, have integrity and support each other.

The best for me is to find employment where I work from home, self-employed or work mostly alone but I am just not sure what jobs I can do. That's what I need help brainstorming with.

Thank you for listening and hope you have a great day.

Not living up to your potential seems to be something we might get told a lot. I'm on a prolonged burn out myself. Friends, family, self-care etc. all feel like too much right now. But I don't want to burden them with it. I keep to myself a lot more.

My main hobby is video games as well. Free time is spent on the computer - reading, chatting, playing video games whilst watching shows etc. I guess it's a guaranteed way to help me feel grounded after the stresses of a day.

I want to do my art, photography and writing full time - but as you described with your passion - it's a highly competitive environment.

All I can suggest with regards to the burn out is patience. It'll peak then trough at some point.

Ed

Hello :)

I don't think I have any relevant advice but I do commiserate.

I am 54 and newly recognizing my own a.s.d.
My own career has been weird. I don't have a college degree but I was able to get jobs far above my education level. But in just a few years I found myself getting reprimands and even being let go from my job. I never realized it but a.s.d. burn out may have been due to a.s.d.

I am not qualified to give real eployment advice but I did see where there are quite a few remote customer service positions available. I know that seems like a weird / wrong suggestion with your described level of burn out but I have found that dealing with strangers is often easier than friends and family.

Strangers do not expect one to behave in any particular way so we can feel freer to relax and be ourselves.

Thank you all for brainstorming with me. I recently joined and I feel welcome already ❤️

When I try to think lately my brain can't really solve anything. Apparently even breakfast requires complex problem solving skills. Why can't breakfast and finding matching socks for the day go on autopilot? Lol. However, I have come to accept and appreciate the colourfulness and diversity of mismatching fluffy socks.

I guess the best course of action is to give myself time to recover from the burnout first before forming new plans about employment and other areas of life. But most importantly: I need time to process the fact that I am on the spectrum. Because it's slightly scary and overwhelming to process everything.

I will be meeting with a group of psychiatrists for a full evaluation in a couple of months. Perhaps they have have some helpful tips on how to navigate, what to do/not to do. I would love to contribute to society and be of service. But, I realize now that my needs matter and I cannot go on forever adapting to whatever demands a workplace puts on me. I need to be honest about who I am, what I can handle and what I cannot handle.

Thank you all for the support again.

I tend to stick with routine for breakfast and meals in general. I think I'd happily eat the same stuff time and again. Not to say I don't enjoy lots of foods - but if it helps with maintaining a routine and preventing impulse buying (a real problem of mine), then I think it's a good thing.

I quite enjoy the quirkiness of odd socks. Plus I wear through socks so far from walking on the balls of my feet. Ever since school people commented on how I walked on "tip toes" which is odd to see, but even stranger when you're 6'4". It's not like I need any extra height.

There's lots of books out there with regards to autism. Whlist a diagnosis is very revealing and can offer closure or relief - it doesn't change who you are as a person. It's something we are, and it affects every thought and action we take in life. Having it officially diagnosed is certainly eye opening and can be a truly profound moment for us. At the same time, part of me feels like when I have my official assessment, they will simply be confirming what I already know. A bit like how I went into my ADHD assessment earlier in the year.

Advice from professionals can be invaluable. Just remember there is no panacea when it comes to the spectrum. There are lots of similarities as well as many idiosyncrasies in our lives. What works for one might not for the next. I tend to find many will quickly recommend CBT or medications etc.

The best advice I can give is to go with your gut/intuition. We know what works best for us. I often talk myselfout of what my initial reaction to things are. But I'm learning to listen more to what my gut tells me, because it has an uncanny ability and wisdom to it. Also, it demands lots of cake.

This is a welcoming forum, and it's nice to have a sense of belonging. I'm glad I found out about Autism and ADHD, because it resonated with me strongly. I always knew there was more to all this than simply anxiety and depression. The way people have reacted in the past to my behaviour and stimming led me to believe I wasn't normal.

There's lots of online resources that can accompany books. Especially if you're not a big reader, or struggle to commit to completing books (something I struggle with):

"Some common signs of autistic burnout include:

• Feeling like you can no longer cope
  • Exhaustion
  • Depressive symptoms: feelings of worthlessness, sadness, loss of interest in things you used to enjoy, etc.
  • Irritability
  • Regression in skills you once possessed (speech, cognitive skills, executive functioning skills, self-control, etc.)
  • Social withdrawal
  • Increased sensitivity to stimuli
  • Increase in “common” autistic behaviour (self-soothing behaviour, repetitive behaviour, stimming, etc)
[...] burnout is that burnout is usually longer lasting. In most cases, it lasts for weeks or even months. I have known many individuals who have had to quit their jobs or school or go on medical leave because they are so worn down."

Ed

Last edited:
I've always thought I was not a good "follower", and now that I am on the forums, I see many others of this personality. A good percentage of us are probably better suited to self employment or some occupation that allows us to be ourselves without the constraints and environmental chaos of a traditional job. I know,...a bit nebulous,...but basically, many of us struggle with the concept of being an employee. Like you said,...still got to pay the bills, so we do it. On one hand, I think everyone experiences horrible days at work, is under constant pressure and stress to perform at an unrealistic level,...I don't want to minimize the neurotypical experience,...but on the other hand, I am pretty sure others don't fully understand the difficulties of being autistic.

I tend to stick with routine for breakfast and meals in general. I think I'd happily eat the same stuff time and again. Not to say I don't enjoy lots of foods - but if it helps with maintaining a routine and preventing impulse buying (a real problem of mine), then I think it's a good thing.

I quite enjoy the quirkiness of odd socks. Plus I wear through socks so far from walking on the balls of my feet. Ever since school people commented on how I walked on "tip toes" which is odd to see, but even stranger when you're 6'4". It's not like I need any extra height.

There's lots of books out there with regards to autism. Whlist a diagnosis is very revealing and can offer closure or relief - it doesn't change who you are as a person. It's something we are, and it affects every thought and action we take in life. Having it officially diagnosed is certainly eye opening and can be a truly profound moment for us. At the same time, part of me feels like when I have my official assessment, they will simply be confirming what I already know. A bit like how I went into my ADHD assessment earlier in the year.

Advice from professionals can be invaluable. Just remember there is no panacea when it comes to the spectrum. There are lots of similarities as well as many idiosyncrasies in our lives. What works for one might not for the next. I tend to find many will quickly recommend CBT or medications etc.

The best advice I can give is to go with your gut/intuition. We know what works best for us. I often talk myselfout of what my initial reaction to things are. But I'm learning to listen more to what my gut tells me, because it has an uncanny ability and wisdom to it. Also, it demands lots of cake.

This is a welcoming forum, and it's nice to have a sense of belonging. I'm glad I found out about Autism and ADHD, because it resonated with me strongly. I always knew there was more to all this than simply anxiety and depression. The way people have reacted in the past to my behaviour and stimming led me to believe I wasn't normal.

There's lots of online resources that can accompany books. Especially if you're not a big reader, or struggle to commit to completing books (something I struggle with):

"Some common signs of autistic burnout include:

• Feeling like you can no longer cope
  • Exhaustion
  • Depressive symptoms: feelings of worthlessness, sadness, loss of interest in things you used to enjoy, etc.
  • Irritability
  • Regression in skills you once possessed (speech, cognitive skills, executive functioning skills, self-control, etc.)
  • Social withdrawal
  • Increased sensitivity to stimuli
  • Increase in “common” autistic behaviour (self-soothing behaviour, repetitive behaviour, stimming, etc)
[...] burnout is that burnout is usually longer lasting. In most cases, it lasts for weeks or even months. I have known many individuals who have had to quit their jobs or school or go on medical leave because they are so worn down."

Ed

I have all of the burnout symptoms, and I am coping with most of them except for the regression of skills and sensitivity to stimuli. It is because I am finding it scary/not my "usual self". I imagine various regions of my brain sleeping while my prefrontal lobe is working overtime.

In terms of diet I find myself craving the following: Coffee, hot chocolate, fat, sugar and nicotine gum. I find that it helps regulate my mood alot.

I think it's similar to derealisation which I've had before. The mind can only take so much, until it almost has to retreat in on itself in order to recover.

I comfort eat a lot. I live off comfort foods that make my body uncomfortable.

Ed

I think it's similar to derealisation which I've had before. The mind can only take so much, until it almost has to retreat in on itself in order to recover.

I comfort eat a lot. I live off comfort foods that make my body uncomfortable.

Ed

Any suggestions for things to do that doesn't require brain activity? Or that helps the brain recover faster?

Calm and relaxing/uplifting music really helps me. Walks in nature. Comedy shows are good as well.

They're the most tax free I can think of. You could of course try meditation and mindfulness. You can find all manner of guided meditation Youtube videos of various lengths and for all manner of goals.

I think most of the self-care things are fairly universal. Of course, you need to find what works best for you. Also, you don't want anything too strenuous otherwise it might cause further burnout, or just become something you give up with due to frustration etc.

Things like exercise and meditation take dedication to see the benefits. With self care being problematic, I often start things with every intention of seeing them through, but this often doesn't happen. Then I feel guilty and defeated.

Breathing exercise is a simple one. I'll upload a short video to show how it works. Basically breath in when you run your finger up. Pause, push the finger down. Then breath out as you run your finger down the other side. Can't remember how many times she said to repeat it. Probably just spend a minute or 2 on it.

EDIT - can't upload a video as its too large, even on worst video recording setting

Here's an image instead to explain:

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-11-57-55-am_orig.png

The picture misses what my therapist recommended, where when your tracing finger reaches the finger tip, just gently push on the tip as you pause. Then continue the tracing and exhale.

Ed

Last edited:
The best for me is to find employment where I work from home, self-employed or work mostly alone but I am just not sure what jobs I can do.

No argument there. I suspect a majority of autistic persons have surmised such thoughts down to these specific common denominators. Where the stress of a competitive workplace having to constantly interact with others becomes just too much to handle.

My last job before retiring was to finally be self-employed, as a private investor. Great to work at home, alone and most of all independently. With taxable income based only on capital gains. But in this sort of job there's one enormous caveat. You have to have capital, and be willing to perpetually risk it to make capital. Not to mention financial experience in navigating so many metrics to make the right decisions. Something most people are either unable or unwilling to consider.

Though there are other sources to consider when it comes to at-home employment, whether self-employed or not: 50 Work-From-Home Jobs Paying as Much or a Lot More Than the Average American Salary

The type of work you do depends on level o specialized education you have and the combined level of experience.
My self my combined skill and experience could easily be converted in a consulting position, fortunately we have no need for additional income.

Calm and relaxing/uplifting music really helps me. Walks in nature. Comedy shows are good as well.

They're the most tax free I can think of. You could of course try meditation and mindfulness. You can find all manner of guided meditation Youtube videos of various lengths and for all manner of goals.

I think most of the self-care things are fairly universal. Of course, you need to find what works best for you. Also, you don't want anything too strenuous otherwise it might cause further burnout, or just become something you give up with due to frustration etc.

Things like exercise and meditation take dedication to see the benefits. With self care being problematic, I often start things with every intention of seeing them through, but this often doesn't happen. Then I feel guilty and defeated.

Breathing exercise is a simple one. I'll upload a short video to show how it works. Basically breath in when you run your finger up. Pause, push the finger down. Then breath out as you run your finger down the other side. Can't remember how many times she said to repeat it. Probably just spend a minute or 2 on it.

EDIT - can't upload a video as its too large, even on worst video recording setting

Here's an image instead to explain:

screen-shot-2019-02-21-at-11-57-55-am_orig.png

The picture misses what my therapist recommended, where when your tracing finger reaches the finger tip, just gently push on the tip as you pause. Then continue the tracing and exhale.

Ed

Omg Yes. I forgot about comedy shows and exercise. I don't enjoy breathing. Lol.

No argument there. I suspect a majority of autistic persons have surmised such thoughts down to these specific common denominators. Where the stress of a competitive workplace having to constantly interact with others becomes just too much to handle.

My last job before retiring was to finally be self-employed, as a private investor. Great to work at home, alone and most of all independently. With taxable income based only on capital gains. But in this sort of job there's one enormous caveat. You have to have capital, and be willing to perpetually risk it to make capital. Not to mention financial experience in navigating so many metrics to make the right decisions. Something most people are either unable or unwilling to consider.

Though there are other sources to consider when it comes to at-home employment, whether self-employed or not: 50 Work-From-Home Jobs Paying as Much or a Lot More Than the Average American Salary

Very helpful list. Thank you. For a second there I thought you wrote a "private inventor" and not investor. I was like damn that sounds super cool. To say at home and invent new stuff. Lol.

Very helpful list. Thank you. For a second there I thought you wrote a "private inventor" and not investor. I was like damn that sounds super cool. To say at home and invent new stuff. Lol.

I'm afraid I would have starved as an inventor. :oops:

Soliciting for investors seems much more difficult than investing itself. Social skills required! :p:eek:

Last edited:
Astrid-X,
First, welcome to the forums.

Networking is what I would do (and have done) in such a situation. This involves contacting professionals in your field and asking for 15 minutes to discuss options you could pursue given your background. I did this in person back in pre-internet days but now it could be done online. You wouldn't have to mention your burnout OR even your asd. Of course, if they are astute they may pick up on the latter. But you can absorb what they recommend and then you conclude by asking if they know of any other people you should contact for their input. And they will give you some names. Then do the same with those people. And so on. This approach will give you not only the directions you are seeking but the employment outlook in your field for your area. Furthermore, one of the people you talk to may just hear someone say to them, "If only there was someone who could do A, B, and C," to which they will reply, "I was just talking to someone last week that does that very thing." That, Astrid-X, is the goal of networking.

The thing about talking to others/networking, is that sometimes people will give you leads on jobs that you would be perfect for so you have to hit their comfort level fresh in the door. Establish some type of same interest or similarity. Maybe laugh about something, then you may get a little side mentoring. It occasionally happens.

Think another option is calling up the universities research depts, finding the vip to talk to. You may get excellent insight there of who is hiring. Go to the psy studies and reports, go to their websites and check jobs. Maybe you can find something a little less demanding in regards to that. Finally temp agencies always provide work and you get time off between jobs.

Thank you guys for the support and helpful advices ❤️

This whole burnout thing is making me scared and sad. For the first time in months I went out to meet up with a friend and I noticed that my language skills weren't as good as they used to be. It was hard for me to connect emotionally with my friend and i found myself masking again. I really hope I get back my old self at some point :disappointed:

Hello,

A friend of mine, who also studies psychology, often wonder why those in this field seem to exclude the divine aspects of a person. There is a lot of research on the subconscious and its influence on a clients thought patterns. However no one seems to know about or want to work with a person's higher self.

My friend is studying for a degree in this field with the intent to do research on that and eventually publish her findings. I can appreciate the need to earn a living while doing these things.

I would like to mention that Harvard University wants to do research on psychic skills and abilities. So there are employers out there like them that have an interest in these things.

John

New Threads

Top Bottom