• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Electric cars...

Would you buy an electric car?

• No thank you

• Sign me up!

• If I must

• I don't drive, thus I really don't care anyway

• I am interested, but until there is more reliable technology for long highway trips

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have been driving electric cars for the past 6 years. I had a Nissan Leaf,...and now a Tesla Model 3 and a Model Y. Best - Cars - Ever - Period. To put things into perspective when I say this:
1. I grew up at the drag strip. My father raced.
2. My father later owned a Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealership.
3. I learned auto mechanics and did my own vehicle maintenance.
4. I modified and raced a '89 Mustang on the track for several years.
5. I modified and off-roaded a 2006 Toyota 4Runner for several years.

Just to be clear,...I am a total "gear head".

My story is that I wanted to be independent of the electrical grid for many years,...I've been following the solar, wind, and battery technology since the 1990's,...well before conversations of "global warming" and "climate change". In 2016, we needed a new roof on the house, and the prices were "affordable" with zero-down, low-interest loans being offered,...and we pulled the trigger on a full rooftop solar array and storage battery. Well, we were making so much power,...our meter running "backward",...that we had over $1000 in energy credits on our bill, and literally no way to use it. Meanwhile, running back and forth from work we were spending roughly $200/month on each of our vehicles,...$400 a month in our budget just for gasoline,...and then there was the normal vehicle maintenance,...more $$$,...drips of this and that on the driveway,...keeping flammable liquids in the garage,...all of that. I am looking at the roof saying to myself,..."I have a fuel station at my home. Why am I spending money on gas?" So, I took a test drive of a "plain jane" entry-level, Nissan Leaf. Well, that car was about $8000 less than the Toyota Tacoma I was driving,...and, that little car had some street performance,...electric motor torque. Fun little car. I traded in that truck that day. So, I drove that car for 3 years, parked it outside,...still had the Mustang in the garage,...no charger,...simply plugged it into a standard 15A wall outlet. Perfect. I was spending about $0/month in "fuel",...not $200. Plus the payments were significantly less than the Tacoma. Now,...the return on investment on that solar array was really coming down,...it paid for all my electric,...and a car. We were saving about $300/month despite having the payments on the solar. So, the following year, the lease was up on my wife's Toyota Rav4 Hybrid. The monthlies on a new lease on the updated Rav4 Hybrid went up about $150/month,...we walked out. On a "whim" we clicked onto the Tesla website,...looked at the monthlies,...and it was about the same as the Rav4 Hybrid,...and we were not going to spend some $200/mo in gas,...but only about $0 in electric. Literally cheaper to buy a Tesla Model 3 than a Toyota Rav4 Hybrid to own and operate. So, that was our next car,...soooooo, much more of a vehicle than the Nissan by every metric, including mileage. Now, we were saving about $500/month in our budget with no more stops at gas stations, essentially zero maintenance, no electric bills,...and we are driving nicer cars with a lot more performance. In 2020, a semi-tractor destroyed the Model 3 on the highway,...but was still drivable for another 500 miles on our vacation,...strapped the body panels on with a roll of duct tape,...literally. Drove like new,...inside the car,...getting in and out,...that car was tank. The auto body shop took one look at the car and said it was "totaled",...they weren't going to make any attempt at repairing it. We got our money from the insurance company,...it was worth MORE used than new,...my wife wanted the new Model Y,...so we ended up with that. A year later, I turned in the Nissan for my Model 3,...got the performance software,...that car is rocket! In the snow,...better than the 4Runner and Tacoma,...even with it sitting slammed on the ground, lacking any ground clearance. I can punch that accelerator on a wet road going around a corner, and it doesn't spin the tires, it just hooks and slingshots you forward. My track Mustang had over 500hp to the wheels,...and scary to drive on the street,...zero traction. That Tesla would absolutely leave it in the dust,...not even a race.

Would I even consider purchasing anything with an internal combustion engine as a daily driver? Never, never, never.

I still don't have a charger for my Model 3,...don't need one. We put in a Level 2, 48A charger for my wife's car.

Something else to consider:
1. Most of the "bad press" that EVs have are FUD,...targeted opinion pieces to make ignorant people have fear, uncertainty, and doubt. Trillions of dollars of market share are being threatened by fossil fuel companies and automotive companies. "Big oil" is now becoming "big electric" and that's a HUGE threat to the status quo,...and there are millions of dollars being pumped into the media to misrepresent how "bad" EVs are, etc.
2. Those that have not paid attention to the media BS and actually are driving the cars,...love them. Sure,...every so often someone posts a video on their "bad experience",...but here's the deal,...it too is BS. I will click onto them and just roll my eyes at the utter nonsense,...but if you don't drive an EV,...you don't know that it's nonsense.
3. The grid will be fine. Oil companies will be fine. EVs are "rolling batteries", and if you have a vehicle-to-grid, reversible charger,...you can feed your home and the grid. As long as there are plastics and other polycarbonate materials,...oil companies will do just fine,...we just don't need to burn it anymore.
4. The charging network is increasing significantly as we speak,...those antiquated arguments about "inconvenience" are going away quickly. Charging speeds improving quickly. Battery chemistries are changing year to year,...better performance and mileage,...the technology is rapidly improving. Tesla has been known to make hardware updates on their cars,...monthly,...crazy. Most legacy automakers, it takes 1-3 years to do what Tesla does in 30 days. Over-the-air software updates,...every few weeks,...the cars get better and better with new features added all the time,...unheard of before.
5. "How long does it take to charge?" Depends on the charger. Depends upon how far the battery is depleted. No straight answer. I will tell you though, I set my battery to charge up to 90%, go to work, come home, it is at 70%,...plug it into a 15A wall outlet,...by 2am its "full" again. Set the battery warmer and climate control for the times I leave to and from work,...the car is warmed, defrosted, seats warm, steering wheel warm,...no more scraping snow. Just get in and drive. Out on the road,...long trips,...Superchargers about every 40-60 miles, near restaurants and shopping,...you can watch movies in the car,...it's a whole different thing, and very convenient. Hotels and shopping centers now have chargers,...often for free.

If you want to whine and complain about missing your old lifestyle of paying for electricity, vehicle maintenance, and gasoline,...I can't help you.

If you have never driven an EV before,...to be blunt,..."Shut up! You don't know what you are talking about." The first thing you should do is DRIVE the vehicle. Butts in seats. That's how Tesla sells,...no advertising dollars at all,...people drive,...then they buy,...they are that good. Before you comment on that statement,...DRIVE the car first. It's a whole different thing you've never experienced before.

Thanks for the informative post, good points... I'll admit, and maybe it's just me, but I love shifting gears with a manual transmission, I would really want an EV with some semblance of gear shifting... I have heard some have that ability...

Not sure where you live, but here in western Canada there are large distances with low (even zero) population, and these are areas I enjoy exploring roads like that... Because that is where the best photos are...

Not sure where you live, but here in western Canada there are large distances with low (even zero) population, and these are areas I enjoy exploring roads like that... Because that is where the best photos are...
This is exactly the issue we have in Australia. Long distances and usually towing some type of trailer or caravan is what needs to be catered for. In much of my country if you can't travel 1000 Km between fuel stops then that part of the country is closed to you.

Don't think it will, honestly. But only time will tell. Let's talk again in 25 years and compare, yes?

Hopefully we are still here in 25 years. The way things are going in Europe now, I'll be happy if we survive 2023. It's just amazing how fast everything went downhill here in a few short years. :fearscream:

Not sure if anyone if following anything in the science community but this is a amazing breakthrough the beginning of the energy future.The physics is now proven we can control Fusion . Now the engineers can get to work

I am certain in the future , it will be a combination of electric/nuclear fusion . Especially in The hauling sector for trucks .

Some of you may find this interesting. Especially since they have now finally figured this out .

Last edited:
My husband is looking into one as a daily driver. I think it makes sense for many of us living in the appropriate regions to invest in one. For us, we live in a highly populated area, warm climate where there's little to no public transit options, and we're always out and about driving around town daily. For long distances we would stick to our gas vehicles for now at least. But both me and my husband work for oil and gas, that anti-propaganda machine is real.
The funny part is, a lot of people in O&G own electric cars here. Every other car I see now is a Tesla.

Last edited:
I grew up reading Floyd Clymer's "Motorbooks," wanting a Model T Ford (and a 1949 Plymouth six.) Always thought cars were pretty great and when writing a book wrote a 1948 Packard De Luxe into the story some where along with a '95 Buick, a slightly exaggerated portrayal of the Toyota Corolla for comic effect, an early KIA minivan, a partially completed Hupmobile, reference to an Essex sedan, and a few scenes involving a 1919 Ford.

Always thought I'd be driving gasoline vehicles but ended up rethinking the plan when I became aware of climate change & when I also had to do my own auto repairing. I can rebuild a lot of car pieces but it takes a long time, a lot of tools, & hand work.
I do not want to buy a new electric car.

Here is the design I was hoping to try to build eventually. The electronics aren't going to be very complicated, and neither is the rest of the running gear. I like slow, small, fairly light autos and that's that,

This is the base of a design I've been working on for a bit, just a hashed-together sketch. I'd originally been planning on using a Model T Ford running gear (minus the 20hp gasoline engine) but a 4 hour conversation with my good friend Stephen was enough to convince me this was a bad idea mainly due to the Tin Lizzie needing the crankcase to hold the radius rods at the bottom--radius rods keep the axles on, and I'd just as soon not have to use the crankcase. Sure, a Model T frame could cost me about $300 but I'd just as soon not do that. I may use a T steering column as they have the reduction gearing already in them, but not a T frame.
Now I will be building it with transverse leaf springs after the Model T design mostly because I am not going to fit this thing for shock absorbers.
I want good mechanical brakes and that also doesn't happen with the T. All bodywork is going to be either off-the-shelf fiberglass bits or completely scratchbuilt (camouflaging a glass Ford cowl to give me a cheap dashboard frame is basically the main part I need; was considering using a Ford trunk turned around backwards to make the hood/thing covering part of the batteries.)

I do not intend for this to run more than about 40 or 50 mph. It is intended to be used in town, cost less than a golf-cart, be made with a bunch of reclaimed and off-the-shelf components.

Yes it's kinda ugly,
It's not meant to look cool by any stretch of the imagination,
I was looking at a Citroen 2CV when I thought this up,
As well as some homebuilt electrics that were built by villagers in India.

The body is going to be likely done with doped canvas--not many cars built by a cast iron Singer sewing-machine.

If I'm going on a long trip all I expect is for it to get from wherever I am to the train station.

So there you go. A sketch of a concept car by someone who came to hate cars. I promise this thing is not a motorist torture device. It's something I'm currently doing research for in case I start building it in a couple years.

Specifications subject to change
11hp, 48-volt DC motor, 5 passenger touring body
16oz cotton duck canvas for body, treated in aircraft dope
Lead acid batteries
4:1 manual steering
Mechanical gauge cluster consisting of speedometer, odometer, volt meter for battery monitoring
110vAC charger
General Electric EV1 mechanical voltage controller (not the one from the '90s concept car--the one from the old-school forklifts that's pretty common and not as expensive as it could be. It isn't super efficient but it gets the job done & can be repaired with standard tools.)

1672265454482.png

I grew up reading Floyd Clymer's "Motorbooks," wanting a Model T Ford (and a 1949 Plymouth six.) Always thought cars were pretty great and when writing a book wrote a 1948 Packard De Luxe into the story some where along with a '95 Buick, a slightly exaggerated portrayal of the Toyota Corolla for comic effect, an early KIA minivan, a partially completed Hupmobile, reference to an Essex sedan, and a few scenes involving a 1919 Ford.

Always thought I'd be driving gasoline vehicles but ended up rethinking the plan when I became aware of climate change & when I also had to do my own auto repairing. I can rebuild a lot of car pieces but it takes a long time, a lot of tools, & hand work.
I do not want to buy a new electric car.

Here is the design I was hoping to try to build eventually. The electronics aren't going to be very complicated, and neither is the rest of the running gear. I like slow, small, fairly light autos and that's that,

This is the base of a design I've been working on for a bit, just a hashed-together sketch. I'd originally been planning on using a Model T Ford running gear (minus the 20hp gasoline engine) but a 4 hour conversation with my good friend Stephen was enough to convince me this was a bad idea mainly due to the Tin Lizzie needing the crankcase to hold the radius rods at the bottom--radius rods keep the axles on, and I'd just as soon not have to use the crankcase. Sure, a Model T frame could cost me about $300 but I'd just as soon not do that. I may use a T steering column as they have the reduction gearing already in them, but not a T frame.
Now I will be building it with transverse leaf springs after the Model T design mostly because I am not going to fit this thing for shock absorbers.
I want good mechanical brakes and that also doesn't happen with the T. All bodywork is going to be either off-the-shelf fiberglass bits or completely scratchbuilt (camouflaging a glass Ford cowl to give me a cheap dashboard frame is basically the main part I need; was considering using a Ford trunk turned around backwards to make the hood/thing covering part of the batteries.)

I do not intend for this to run more than about 40 or 50 mph. It is intended to be used in town, cost less than a golf-cart, be made with a bunch of reclaimed and off-the-shelf components.

Yes it's kinda ugly,
It's not meant to look cool by any stretch of the imagination,
I was looking at a Citroen 2CV when I thought this up,
As well as some homebuilt electrics that were built by villagers in India.

The body is going to be likely done with doped canvas--not many cars built by a cast iron Singer sewing-machine.

If I'm going on a long trip all I expect is for it to get from wherever I am to the train station.

So there you go. A sketch of a concept car by someone who came to hate cars. I promise this thing is not a motorist torture device. It's something I'm currently doing research for in case I start building it in a couple years.

Specifications subject to change
11hp, 48-volt DC motor, 5 passenger touring body
16oz cotton duck canvas for body, treated in aircraft dope
Lead acid batteries
4:1 manual steering
Mechanical gauge cluster consisting of speedometer, odometer, volt meter for battery monitoring
110vAC charger
General Electric EV1 mechanical voltage controller (not the one from the '90s concept car--the one from the old-school forklifts that's pretty common and not as expensive as it could be. It isn't super efficient but it gets the job done & can be repaired with standard tools.)

View attachment 92912
Ok this is cool !

They're too quiet. Can hardly hear them driving past.

I'm road savvy. Know what to look out for when crossing roads.
The kid watching his phone crossing the road can hear a petrol/ diesel engine approaching. Electric car? not so much.
Too quiet for me.
Nice cars. Just too quiet.

Lithium batteries are just too dangerous.

"...Electric cars are only an interim technology, exactly the same as they were back in the 1920s. It is bad technology and far more polluting than most of you are led to believe...."

The kid watching his phone crossing the road can hear a petrol/ diesel engine approaching. Electric car? not so much.
Too quiet for me.

The bicycle has existed since the 1800s & they are very quiet.
America's favorite EV was once the infamous Brill-bodied car. They were massive rigs larger than a Hummer, and were seriously everywhere in metropolitan areas during the years before WWII.
As a means of dynamic communication with other road users, they were fitted with a dome-shaped signalling device which emitted invisible waves. These waves were picked up by other road users & served as a recognizable way to note the whereabouts of self-guided EV's...

Yep, you got me, it's a streetcar, and they had bells.

(I figure this IS the autism forum after all & someone's got to talk about trains. Might as well be me.)
Automobiles used to have the "Bermuda bell" on some of them, & that was a foot-operated bell that would ring from under the floorboards to warn pedestrians. Much nicer sound to it than the rather irritating noise of a klaxon.)

1672267153369.png

Too quiet for me.
So install a noise machine if you have to. Or just be smart about designing cities where cars and pedestrians interact. "Too quiet" is not a serious, rational argument against electric cars, is it?

There's also a lot more to consider than just private cars. Trucks, trains, aircraft, boats. And I don't mean just light aircraft and personal pleasure boats. International travel, international freight, commercial fishing fleets. There's a lot more to consider that just the local town runabout.

We do a lot of research and development in electric vehicles here too, it is a good technology for light vehicles with short range, but it's not the overall answer to many of our problems.

Technology only improves if it's experimented with.
Considering gasoline engines went from 1800s garbage to what we have today through a long process of experimentation, I hope that electric traction gets the same treatment. (I also hope we could all just quit trying to live like consumerism is a goal in and of itself, and quit trashing the very valuable asset of the planet we live on. Seriously people it'd be nice to look up & see the night sky instead of light pollution.)

I do think EV could become excellent social engineering tools in the future though. They can be manipulated, updated, reprogrammed, etc wirelessly. If those responsible for shaping society decide in the future it's most environmentally friendly for people not to go more than a certain distance beyond where they live (acceptable radius), EVs can likely have a distance limitation programmed into them. They can be a tool to modify, mold and even curb human behavior that may be considered unacceptable in the future.

Last edited:
The biggest problem here is interstate trucking and commercial fishing fleets. Most people just can't understand the distances we travel and the complete empty nothingness between cities. We don't have a nation wide power grid.

As Gerontius just pointed out, pollution is the main issue and that's what's holding back the ammonia technology, but that's almost cracked now. The actual running of ammonia engines is already a reality.

Technology only improves if it's experimented with.
Considering gasoline engines went from 1800s garbage to what we have today through a long process of experimentation, I hope that electric traction gets the same treatment. (I also hope we could all just quit trying to live like consumerism is a goal in and of itself, and quit trashing the very valuable asset of the planet we live on. Seriously people it'd be nice to look up & see the night sky instead of light pollution.)
It reminds of all the inventions that received considerable blowback from the public (light bulb I'm looking at you) some that didn't become mainstream until decades later. Usually younger generations are faster at adopting new tech than older ones. And with now progress in fusion, only time will tell I guess.

A lot of future technology is predicted in science fiction novels but I haven't found one yet that predicted mobile phones and social networks like we have today.

New Threads

Top Bottom