• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Echolalia or a stutter (or both)

PastelPetals

V.I.P Member
When I get upset I often have trouble communicating and I will latch onto a word or phrase and say it over and over. The thing is I am noticing it happen more often and sometimes I am doing it when not upset.

I have also noticed when speaking my brain has been blanking more often and I mix up words or repeat a word multiple times before my brain catches up and I can say more.

I don't think that's echolalia but I don't know what it is. I also have no idea why my echolalia is getting to be more frequent. Quite confusing.

I blank out and mix up words when I'm upset too, or when I try to speak too fast - I can't articulate myself well. Like my brain is way ahead of my mouth and then things come out jumbled. If I want to speak coherently, I must slow down. I don't have echolalia - I think that is when you repeat something that you hear? - but do often repeat a word or phrase that I have in my head.

In the camp of repeating a word or phrase and have no idea why i do this, often say the wrong word, or a words that i've been thinking about but is irrelevant to the current situation, it has to be Autism related? delayed processing? crossed brain thinking?

I am the same, sometimes I stutter (I had a bad stutter as a child which was mostly fixed in speech therapy) sometimes words just gets mixed up or stuck somewhere between my brain and my mouth. No idea what it's called though. I agree with Progster that echolalia is repeating something you hear. Repeating a word multiple times can be a stutter (while stutters are generally thought of to be the repeating of one letter: p-p-p-print, they are actually generally the repeating of full syllables or words: sly-sly-sly-slyable, word-word-word-words), stuttering has a quite a distinct feelings though, like the word is stuck in a muscle spasm in your throat and struggling to get out. If it more like mental a compulsion to repeat the word it may be a tick.

I often both loose words / get a blank out / mix them up / fail articulate my self properly while in a conversation even if im not upset or stressed out

A professional can diagnose echolalia by having a conversation with the person with echolalia. If they struggle to do anything other than repeat what has been said, they may have echolalia. Some children with autism are regularly tested for this during their speech lessons. Echolalia ranges from minor to severe.

Echolalia: Causes, Symptoms, Types, Diagnosis, and Treatment.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom