• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Drawing I've worked on all week

Misery

Amalga Heart
V.I.P Member
Daedream.jpg

Well, I say "all week" but really I did most of the color work today, I just finished. The line work was very hard though and if I have to redraw that foot just one more bloody time I'm going to go stab a clown.

I'm still not good with colored pencils, but I still like using them over many other tools, at least until I start to get near the final part of any given drawing and by that time I hate them. And yeah, there's a couple of spots on the hair (or whatever that is, it's more like a cloud) where the color was slightly escaping the lines near the bottom right, at that point my arm was wearing down.

And there's a couple of lines visible THROUGH the ears, I didnt realize what I'd done wrong until it was too late to erase those lines because once you start using colored pencils over your basic pencil line work, it aint coming back off. So... yeah I'm just going to call that a happy accident and pretend it isnt there, that's how darned happy it is.

Later on I might go and darken up certain spots or whatever, or maybe I wont, I dont know.

The floaty little goofball's name is Daedream, I didnt come up with it, I just drew a picture of it. I've been playing a lot of Palworld recently and I just adore these guys. You team up with them and then they blast the cheese out of whatever it is you didnt want them to blast and then they look really smug about it. I need like a plushie of it or something, because I dont have enough plushies yet.

Also I need to get a scanner. I show these every time by just using my phone camera and the photo of the drawing never looks quite right in terms of the actual shading/colors on the paper. If I'm going to be sharing things I draw with like, distant family or whoever, yeah, I gotta get a scanner. I keep thinking "I need to buy one" and then I keep not doing it. Maybe that's something to research today.

And now, that's enough art for like a week. I'm not touching that table or any of those pencils again for that long at least. My right arm/shoulder is so messed up. Everything hurts, I'm dehydrated again, and the hunger I wasnt feeling for the last 2 hours just suddenly hit me all at once, seriously I dont know why I always do this to myself when drawing/painting anything. Definitely lunch time now. And Advil time.

I like it, and what you did with the shading, it gives depth - somehow I don't mind about those lines through the ears - I don't know about what kind of character Daedream is, but those eyes are a bit scary to me...

@Misery

When you use the colored pencils, do you
hold them parallel to the surface of the paper?

I really like the "texture" you give the figure. It makes it come alive on the paper. I also like the choice of pose / expression. I feel like I have a good idea of Daedream's personality.

When you have rested enough, maybe you can go back and look at what makes the art "yours" without having to replicate so many details, so it is less tough on you. It can also become your trademark style. Maybe experiment with more intentional shading with fewer / bolder strokes?

@Misery

When you use the colored pencils, do you
hold them parallel to the surface of the paper?

No, I've just been holding them the same way I do with any pen/pencil when writing or whatever. Like I would if just writing or whatever.

Should I try holding them different?

What I learned in art classes was that holding
the pencil/charcoal/pastel parallel to the
drawing surface makes shading/coloring in
more smooth.

Do try it.

I thought the ears were supposed to be transparent, or at least translucent. So others may see what you perceive as a mistake, as something integral to the drawing.

I thought what you are calling hair, I thought it was a cloud of an unusual gaseous element.

Not to be taken as criticism at all. I like your little creature.

I really like it. You did rather well in my opinion. Better than I can do, in alot of cases.

For me, posing, lighting and shading, and even proper proportions can be quite a bit of a pain in the posterior. Even then, I think you really did well with the coloring work. It flows well.

And there's a couple of lines visible THROUGH the ears, I didnt realize what I'd done wrong until it was too late to erase those lines because once you start using colored pencils over your basic pencil line work, it aint coming back off. So... yeah I'm just going to call that a happy accident and pretend it isnt there, that's how darned happy it is.

Being aggressively Bob Ross about it, really is the best way to approach any art. Art is suppose to give a flavor(not literally) of it's artist. A look into thier minds eye.

I thought the ears were supposed to be transparent, or at least translucent. So others may see what you perceive as a mistake, as something integral to the drawing.

I thought what you are calling hair, I thought it was a cloud of an unusual gaseous element.

Not to be taken as criticism at all. I like your little creature.

I'm actually not quite sure what the "hair" is. In the game, it absolutely looks like a cloud, and it also glows in the dark but doesnt seem to cause any shadows. More like it just ignores the lighting engine, it's quite a unique effect. Makes these guys really noticable from a distance.

Being aggressively Bob Ross about it, really is the best way to approach any art. Art is suppose to give a flavor(not literally) of it's artist. A look into thier minds eye.

Yeah, I think of him every single time I make a mistake that cant be erased. He always encouraged just rolling with mistakes while learning from them, and he was a master as far as I've seen, and had just about the best attitude of any artist I've seen, that's for sure. I figure, if he thought that was a good way to do it, I'll do it that way too. I know some artists absolutely do start from scratch if they make a really noticeable mistake, that'd just drive me crazy to do. His way is so much better.

View attachment 126937

Well, I say "all week" but really I did most of the color work today, I just finished. The line work was very hard though and if I have to redraw that foot just one more bloody time I'm going to go stab a clown.

I'm still not good with colored pencils, but I still like using them over many other tools, at least until I start to get near the final part of any given drawing and by that time I hate them. And yeah, there's a couple of spots on the hair (or whatever that is, it's more like a cloud) where the color was slightly escaping the lines near the bottom right, at that point my arm was wearing down.

Later on I might go and darken up certain spots or whatever, or maybe I wont, I dont know.

The floaty little goofball's name is Daedream, I didnt come up with it, I just drew a picture of it. I've been playing a lot of Palworld recently and I just adore these guys. You team up with them and then they blast the cheese out of whatever it is you didnt want them to blast and then they look really smug about it. I need like a plushie of it or something, because I dont have enough plushies yet.

Also I need to get a scanner. I show these every time by just using my phone camera and the photo of the drawing never looks quite right in terms of the actual shading/colors on the paper. If I'm going to be sharing things I draw with like, distant family or whoever, yeah, I gotta get a scanner. I keep thinking "I need to buy one" and then I keep not doing it. Maybe that's something to research today.

And now, that's enough art for like a week. I'm not touching that table or any of those pencils again for that long at least. My right arm/shoulder is so messed up. Everything hurts, I'm dehydrated again, and the hunger I wasnt feeling for the last 2 hours just suddenly hit me all at once, seriously I dont know why I always do this to myself when drawing/painting anything. Definitely lunch time now. And Advil time.
It has real personality and even intention, so I like it. Neat.

It's very "you." It's hard to explain--the juxtaposition of your name as "Misery" and your consistent kindness on this forum.

I guess it wasn't that hard to explain.

New Threads

Top Bottom