• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Double stim?

NTs stim like crazy, too. My NT older brother could not read anything without constantly twirling his hair. One of my best friends, NT, with whom I often worked on legal cases, cannot sit still. I don't know how many times I'd have to remind him to stop jiggling his leg during depositions because it made the table jiggle. He's now a federal judge and I guarantee you that his leg is bouncing up and down every time he is on the bench. LOL:)

Maybe there is nervous energy also.

Used to spend all my energy on sitting still. Diagnosis set me free. My stims usually manifest as muscle flexing, often alternating, but rarely two different ones at the exact same time.

Maybe there is nervous energy also.

NTs do stim and for the same reasons as NDs which may include providing an outlet for nervous energy and releasing stress. Society just ignores the stimming behaviors of NTs because there are so many NTs on earth that everyone accepts the behaviors as typical. NT stimming isn't usually as obvious as some forms of ND stemming such as hand flapping, but plenty of NT playing with pens, rubber bands and paperclips, leg bouncing, fingernail chewing, smoking cigarettes, chewing gum, hair twisting and plucking, lip chewing, etc.

I do them all, mostly simultaneously. Just a natural born fidget. Never realised they were stims. But now I am confused as to ND vs NT stimming o_O

I stim when l sleep because l pull sheets out if too tight, l live like a total heathen, l don't tuck sheets in, since my divorce. The weirdest way to stim - sometimes l take my tongue and run it over a rough spot in my mouth till my tongue aches, then l am frustrated then l release my frustration. Why - who knows why??? If you're happy and you know it- stim around. If you're happy and you know it, take your toes and tap your nose, and tap your nose,and tap your........
Jeez. I don't tuck my sheets in. Actually I only the tuck in sheet for the mattress. I have to be able to stick my legs out whenever I want. Otherwise I feel trapped. Does that make me a "total heathen" too?

Heh, these days I can't even focus on anything unless I'm stimming in some way :rolleyes: At the moment it's mostly leg bouncing and anything that keeps my hands busy. I'm trying to limit negative stimming where I unknowingly cut myself with my nails since I won't feel anything unless I start bleeding. Hence, busy hands.

NTs do stim and for the same reasons as NDs which may include providing an outlet for nervous energy and releasing stress. Society just ignores the stimming behaviors of NTs because there are so many NTs on earth that everyone accepts the behaviors as typical. NT stimming isn't usually as obvious as some forms of ND stimming such as hand flapping, but plenty of NT playing with pens, rubber bands and paperclips, leg bouncing, fingernail chewing, smoking cigarettes, chewing gum, hair twisting and plucking, lip chewing, etc.

I'm NT (unless you count learning differences) but I hand-flap sometimes. For a while I was under the impression that I usually only did this in private, but one day my friend brought attention to my behaviour. I was feeling stressed but I was trying to stay cool in public. My friend told me "You know how I know when you're stressed? Whenever you are you do this" then he did an imitation of me hand-flapping. I don't always realise that I'm doing it. Especially if I'm caught up in thought. I know that I've hand-flapped a little on camera before. This happened when I lost my train of thought whilst answering a question and got a bit frustrated at myself. I kept it in a blooper reel but didn't add it to the main video.

During another video one of my hands is shaking since I'm nervously fidgeting. I suddenly realise and grab onto a piece of paper that I was holding with my other hand. Unfortunately we didn't have time to do a retake and my hand was shaking a lot. I also bounce my leg, chew my lip, pull at my face, twirl string, mess with headphones etc.

When I'm feeling overwhelmed I have been known to start swaying or rocking back and forth. I was rocking a little quite recently whilst I was sitting down listening to a talk at an event. Admittedly the talk made me worry about my own abilities; seeing creative industry professionals showing off their work. I sometimes rock during my coding lessons when I'm feeling lost.

The hand-flapping isn't always due to frustration or stress. I've done so when excited before. Whilst I have some traits that could be associated with autism, it isn't to a disabling extent. I have wondered if I could be BAP.

My son is a vocal stimmer. Started when he was little. He would imitate and repeat sounds constantly. This is really frowned upon in school and he gets in trouble for distracting people. I’ve noticed that he hums and sings to himself when he’s really happy. I’ve asked him to sing louder but he says he’s too embarrassed. I’m trying to let him know that we embrace it at home because I’ve read that because it can be distracting kids are encouraged to suppress their stimming which could be more harmful in the long run. Does anyone else have a vocal stim?

I try not to stim when I am outside in Church groups and Church. However when I am talking to someone standing up I cross and move my legs a little but to reduce anxiety by distracting my body or I will tap my fingers while my hand is down also to reduce anxiety.

When I am by myself on the computer or at home in general I twist my hands and shake them sometimes especially if something excites me or listening to music I move my legs back and forth and tap my fingers.

(Sorry if it's not totally related to the thread)
I stim all the way it's possible. Hand flapping, foot shaking, fidgeting, rocking, walking back and forth etc.
When I was little I liked to spin around and I was stimming with my fingers even before I was born! I don't need stim toys, I can stim with anything. ^^
Stimming is like breathing for me, but if someone ask me to stop, I'll change the way of it to a less noticeable one. I like monotonous clicking sounds, so if I stim with something it can be annoying. ^^'
I'm more the person who freezes when nervous and stims while thinking/when excited, happy, mad (this, like... never), overloaded, "underloaded" etc. Stims of different emotions have different 'patterns'. Like small electric discharges. Happy stim is tiny, and fast or normal, excited stim is huge and fast, sad stim is slow and hurts (like little hits to something), overloaded stim is huge, unpredictable explosions, and 'underloaded' stim is repetitive and smooth. Etcetera.
A little bit like this:
I guess you are a different kind of human
Oh, sorry, what was the question?

Stimming can be very fluid, just change it up as you go through day. Repetitiveness helps me alot- ballet is very repetitive and involves the same Barre warmups- so then l wonder if everyone is on the spectrum who loves the constant repeat of exercises we do, plus l do spin around in class, one of my fav floor work things.
As l became more stressed at one point in my life, l defintely repeated things over. I have since stopped since l was nicely corrected.

(Sorry if it's not totally related to the thread)
I stim all the way it's possible. Hand flapping, foot shaking, fidgeting, rocking, walking back and forth etc.
When I was little I liked to spin around and I was stimming with my fingers even before I was born! I don't need stim toys, I can stim with anything. ^^
Stimming is like breathing for me, but if someone ask me to stop, I'll change the way of it to a less noticeable one. I like monotonous clicking sounds, so if I stim with something it can be annoying. ^^'
I'm more the person who freezes when nervous and stims while thinking/when excited, happy, mad (this, like... never), overloaded, "underloaded" etc. Stims of different emotions have different 'patterns'. Like small electric discharges. Happy stim is tiny, and fast or normal, excited stim is huge and fast, sad stim is slow and hurts (like little hits to something), overloaded stim is huge, unpredictable explosions, and 'underloaded' stim is repetitive and smooth. Etcetera.
A little bit like this:
I guess you are a different kind of human
Oh, sorry, what was the question?

Thought that was interesting post. Stims defintely can be tied to emotions and change accordingly for some of us. I never thought about stims and now l have a aspifacination with it.

New Threads

Top Bottom