• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Double stim?

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
Love to shake my foot back and forth and twirl my hair. Do you like to talk about your stimming? If someone asks you not to stim, have you tried to please them to keep the peace? Do you stim if bored or nervous or both? Do you think shoving your hands in and out of pockets is stimming? Are you aware when you flap your hands? Does anybody slap the sides of their leg? Do you ever feel entertained by your stimming?

I have destroyed so many pens fidgeting with them. Then, I notice that I’m doing it and put the pen away. Two minutes later, I realize that the pen is in my hand again and think, “Seriously, why can’t I just put it down?”

Then I learned that I’m autistic and learned about stimming, and now it makes so much sense.

Now, I try to channel it into something constructive, like straw folding. In meetings, I’ll fidget under the table or cross my legs and put my hands in my lap (hiding my fidgeting behind my leg on my lap).

In my cubicle or in other environments, if anyone notices or comments, I just tell them that it’s physically impossible for me to sit still, so I keep something on hand to fidget with.

Always thought that l just had nervous energy, bundle of nerves. I like to play with pens, maybe that's why l buy in bulk, l need pens like people need cigarettes. I will put pen caps on and off for a idiot amount of time and really not care. I don't like fat pens, it has to be bic pens, l like the way they feel. No l am not obsessive, lol.
And they have to be black pens, though sometimes l allow red pens to visit. This is starting to sound like the spatula post.

Do you stim if bored or nervous or both?
I'm constantly fidgeting and moving, doing something with my hands. I have a job involving other people and sitting in front of a computer, I feel constantly tense, feel trapped and can't stop fidgeting.

I'm constantly fidgeting and moving, doing something with my hands. I have a job involving other people and sitting in front of a computer, I feel constantly tense, feel trapped and can't stop fidgeting.

What do u think about spinners? I haven't tried them. I like those Chinese metal balls, they have chimes inside, come in 3's in a small box, you can hold all in one hand, the cool metal feels good, the chimes are pretty. I think l need to order

What do u think about spinners? I haven't tried them. I like those Chinese metal balls, they have chimes inside, come in 3's in a small box, you can hold all in one hand, the cool metal feels good, the chimes are pretty. I think l need to order
I have those Chinese balls too, and a couple of spinners, but I tend to stim with my hair, or I stroke my face or neck, or fiddle with my clothing. Or a pen or pencil, anything close to me that's handy. I have to try not ot stim when working, but it's hard, it's an automatic involuntary action most of the time.

Restless leg can be tricky at work as I do it so forcefully I make people's monitors shake and vibrate. When people tell me - they're don't ask me to stop outright. So I tend to continue but not as energetically.

Often I'm doing bouncing legs at the same time whilst also keeping my hands busy with tapping or constantly fidgeting.

Ed

Sometimes I do shake my leg and rock back and forth. As far as people asking me to stop stimming if I get a little to over excited shaking my leg my wife will say “can you please stop shaking the whole couch!”

Love to shake my foot back and forth and twirl my hair. Do you like to talk about your stimming? If someone asks you not to stim, have you tried to please them to keep the peace? Do you stim if bored or nervous or both? Do you think shoving your hands in and out of pockets is stimming? Are you aware when you flap your hands? Does anybody slap the sides of their leg? Do you ever feel entertained by your stimming?

I've been doing it since I was a toddler: twirling my hair, constantly tapping a foot when I sit and jumping/ swinging. :grimacing:
I don't twirl my hair much anymore it's a habit I got rid of.
I still do the jumping/ swinging but only when no one can see it. For some reason I need this to calm myself.
The worst however is the skin picking but that's more of an OCD issue :weary:

My parents never thought much about it, some people made jokes about my weird habits. I only recently found out it's stimming. And I can not completly control it although I have learned to supress it in public.

This lady who was interviewing me flapped her hands at end. I remember saying she is stimming, l found my kind. But she was OCD by the way she was talking about some of the admin duties. I caught that pretty fast. But for some reason - OCD people like me. I get along great with them.

Like to wiggle a lot so the gym is good for me because you can stim and everybody just thinks you are stretching.

Life is Stim.

tenor (2).gif

Lots of questions. :) I have a small box on my desk that I keep my stim toys in (my grandkids now know where they are. lol) Hey, wait...there's some missing. Oh, that's right, they're in my purse. :) I like rolly things. Like I have a spinner that has little metal balls in the wings and I like rolling them around more than I like spinning the spinner.
I can't be still - have to be doing something and have always been that way. Long before I ever knew anything, I knew I could not sit and watch tv without a pen and notepad to be writing or doodling. I didn't realize I couldn't lay still in bed either until one night on a sister weekend and I was sharing a bed with my oldest sister. She threatened to hang me upside down out the window if I didn't stop bouncing my foot on the edge of the bed.
I remember once a day shift nurse complained to my boss that I wasn't paying attention to her report because I was playing with a toy (some gadget my daughter had before fidget toys came out). A classmate in 7th grade threatened to beat me up because she didn't like how I walked around with my hands in my pockets. (That probably did look a little strange).
And I know I used to constantly be pushing my hair behind my ears. I realized that looking at my sisters wedding pictures (I was maid of honor) and every single picture I've got my hand up, pulling my hair behind my ears. Weird thing about that one is that I know I eventually stopped doing it, and years later when I found myself around people from that time of my life, I started doing it again. But only when I was around those people. It's like it took me back in time and I was who I was then or something.
Now I gotta go read the spatula thread. :)

I tap or stroke my leg. Used to chew the caps from bic pens, but only do that occassionally now. Foot tapping is a thing. Depending on how stressed i am ( in direct proportion to the number of people around me & level of social anxiety.) I usually dont realize i'm doing it, until suddenly I'm aware ive been tapping my leg... or whatever.
Never knew it had a name or was ASD thing till coming around here.

I stim when l sleep because l pull sheets out if too tight, l live like a total heathen, l don't tuck sheets in, since my divorce. The weirdest way to stim - sometimes l take my tongue and run it over a rough spot in my mouth till my tongue aches, then l am frustrated then l release my frustration. Why - who knows why??? If you're happy and you know it- stim around. If you're happy and you know it, take your toes and tap your nose, and tap your nose,and tap your........

I was (may still be) a pen biter/clicker/tapper, leg shaker, and chair rocker. I eventually started doodling in order to stop being annoying to my classmates. Of course, I kept getting into trouble for "not paying attention" while the teacher was talking, and when I recited what s/he was talking about, they got annoyed. Actually, drawing helped me a lot, and helped me focus my attention. lol

I am also a hair puller (trichotillomania), but I never do that when I'm around other people.

NTs stim like crazy, too. My NT older brother could not read anything without constantly twirling his hair. One of my best friends, NT, with whom I often worked on legal cases, cannot sit still. I don't know how many times I'd have to remind him to stop jiggling his leg during depositions because it made the table jiggle. He's now a federal judge and I guarantee you that his leg is bouncing up and down every time he is on the bench. LOL:)

New Threads

Top Bottom