• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doors and Cupboards - Do you do this?

I do ;) Mostly because I really dislike loud slamming noises and the 'click' or gentle 'tap' are definitely satisfying.

This. Yes. I despise loud shutting of doors of any kind. I am very gentle as well, as silent as I can be when shutting things.

I love that we discuss these things. How else would we find out we share these tendencies? <3

EDIT: I also walk through my home, or anywhere, as if I were a stealthy ninja. One must avoid the floor squeaks where possible. :p

It is humorous to me. No one can hear me in my home, where I am or what I am doing....and yet I can hear everyone else and can conjecture exactly what they are doing. My son is displeased by this. He thinks I have magic powers. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
One must avoid the floor squeaks where possible. :p

Floor squeaks are an absolute no-no! I know where they all are in my house.

I walk around like:
Sneaking.gif

I do this all the time, @Fridgemagnetman. I don’t see why it’s so funny haha by other people.

Glad to hear it. I couldn't imagine not doing it.

Maybe it's only funny because I'm doing it..

There's a sort of rhythm to it,opening cupboards, pushing the door just enough ,so there is enough power - just- for them to close themselves

I can state with confidence that cupboards fitted without soft closing hinges stay open when only a light touch is used as the force to close them :)

resembling a kitchen scene from The Sixth Sense, minus the hand prints on the surface of table,
...And pop tarts,
Formica,
Hayley Joel Osment,
Toni Collette,
.. You get the idea?
Maybe?

I imagine creating a canon in soft closing cupboard door closure is delightful and somewhat amusing.
Perhaps using a gymnastic arabesque position to close three doors at the same time?

It's interesting to read through this and see how many are heavily affected by the sounds the things make when closing.

Everyone here is shutting them so gently, and here I am violently kicking things shut. Particularly the car door. If it closes too softly, I always get the nagging feeling that it's not ACTUALLY closed all the way. So, the Sparta-kick thing again, pretty much every time.

Heck, the door to my room now has this... uh... fuzzy thing, on the frame, to muffle the sound from when I inevitably try to punt it into next week. Whole house is supposedly soundproofed but that carried upstairs anyway, apparently.

I almost seem to have this odd aversion to silence. Even when it's bedtime, I set my tablet to a loud waterfall roar for the whole time.

My current apartment has spring loaded cabinets, or else clickey closers. Nothing closes gently unless you take a stupid amount of time holding the door.

Fridge doors? That's what feet are for!

Soft close cabinets and drawers is the only way to go.
They don't require much of a push and will continue to pull themselves closed.
Next toilet seat has got to be one of those slow soft downing types.

Have the opposite problem in my house: my room mate NEVER closes any doors, not the kitchen cabinet doors, nor the microwave door, nor the pantry door. She will close the refrigerator door thank goodness. So I'm always going behind her closing doors because I'm afraid I or someone else will hit their head on the corner of the open door.

I have a habit of economy of movement. I actually think through where I'm going and try to do things which will avoid any extra trips. I enjoy being as economical with my movements as possible.

Perpetually slamming cabinets is a bad idea with apartment living. I try not to do it whether I close them using my hands or my flippers. ;)

I still recall when my neighbor below was unhappy that I was once using a cane to get around the house when I had some arthritis issues. Though in that case I didn't have much a choice. I suppose it probably sounded like being below decks while Captain Ahab was above. Damn ye whale! :eek:

Last edited:
I used to make sure to push them just enough to close without making a noise, then we had a new kitchen fitted and had those soft close things fitted. You can shove the door pretty hard and it sort of slows itself down near the frame and closes silently :)

This. Yes. I despise loud shutting of doors of any kind. I am very gentle as well, as silent as I can be when shutting things.

I love that we discuss these things. How else would we find out we share these tendencies? <3

EDIT: I also walk through my home, or anywhere, as if I were a stealthy ninja. One must avoid the floor squeaks where possible. :p

It is humorous to me. No one can hear me in my home, where I am or what I am doing....and yet I can hear everyone else and can conjecture exactly what they are doing. My son is displeased by this. He thinks I have magic powers. :rolleyes:
I do this but didn't realise I did until someone jumps with fright my mother did it as well she said people called her creeping Jesus

Yes, I do indeed close them properly :p Sometimes I'll accidentally close it too hard and it'll slam shut

Oh I hate that. I try to make as little noise as possible and never slam things but I make mistakes sometimes and it hurts my ears when something slams shut. A roommate once said living with me was like living with a ghost. She was nice but it hurt my feelings because she sounded upset and it seemed like criticism but I always want to be quiet and move things around properly which to me means carefully and gently.

New Threads

Top Bottom