• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doors and Cupboards - Do you do this?

I do that with everything. Handle it fully until it's near, then bring the surfaces to touch with as little impact as possible. Opening and closing doors, toilet seats, etc. Getting out or putting away dishes (I see no reason for people to bang pans around the way most do). And yes even walking. People at work often don't know I entered their office. I also try to follow a mechanism so I strain things as least as possible. Like feeding a tape into the VCR, operating a car switch or door handle, or the microwave door mechanism. Hanging up a phone, operating faucets, all done with finesse. Accelerating, turning, braking in a car. I have a hard time feeling sympathy/empathy for people, but can feel it in myself how a device is being strained or hurt. When I hear someone slam a toilet seat I feel its pain, or when a car hits a pothole I feel the parts that are getting stressed or damaged. I myself don't like sharp noises, physical impacts, or even quick movements, so I treat objects likewise. I don't like amusements park rides or being in a car that is driven spiritedly.

I also don't like to be wasteful. I wash my hands with very little water pressure and use only as much water as needed. Use as few dishes as possible when making something or eating. Make as least garbage as possible too.

There is one thing that I beat up. My computer keyboard at work. I pound the keys and skate across the keyboard and coworkers laugh about it. But in all of those 20 years I've never wrecked a keyboard. Better than I can say for others who have spilled coffee on theirs and destroyed it.

New Threads

Top Bottom