• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Doors and Cupboards - Do you do this?

Fridgemagnetman

I only have one
V.I.P Member
I was flipping up my foot to close the dishwasher door,reaching over to open the cupboard to get a cup,closing the cupboard door - with a push with just enough power so that it closes quietly.
Opened the fridge, pushing the door closed with just enough dtrrgnth so that it closes quietly...

The rule is

Always push close a door or cupboard with just enough strength so that it closes gently.

It's sort of satisfying to know the door is closing slowly and just clicks closed when you have long since left the scene.

If you're an expert,like me, you can move around the kitchen with 2 or 3 doors slowly closing at once.

Do you do this?

If not,why not?

Whats your door/cupboard strategy?

Please don't tell me you close them properly. You're missing a big opportunity.

Yes, I do indeed close them properly :p Sometimes I'll accidentally close it too hard and it'll slam shut

Hmm.... door and cupboard strategy....

I can pick up and accurately throw things with my feet, and have extremely good balance, so I tend to do alot of odd stuff when it comes to opening/closing things. And just alot of odd stuff in general.

Like, we've got one of those garbage cans in the kitchen that's inside the counter, you pull out the "drawer" that it's in to get at it. "Sensible" (boring) people would grab the handle at the top with their hands. I stick one foot under the whole drawer, lift up, and pull back, in one smooth motion.

Same with doors. Closing a door, most people turn towards it and use their hands and push it shut. Me, no. That's dull. I'll be carrying like a big pile of stuff, so I'll walk into my room, stop, face away from the door, and sort of backwards-Sparta-kick the thing shut, all very quickly. Well, okay, I'll do that even if I'm not carrying anything.

If I'm carrying a bunch of stuff and need to OPEN the door, well... we have latch handles on all the doors, instead of doorknobs. You do the math.

Ya know, it suddenly occurs to me that I do weird movements like these *really* often. I never, ever lose my balance though.

I hear ya.

Proper gentle door closing is a must for my sanity. It leads to order and balance in my universe. Of significant weight is the proper push, click, close of the clothes washer and dryer. To slam said doors is like finger nails-on-the-chalkboard to me.

I attribute this gentleness around the house to an understanding I have of me and how my meltdowns occur. Normally by myself, at home alone, during the evenings after work, and due to a build-up of complex circumstances that at the moment, seem too complex to be in control of or in order (routine).

Anything I can do to lessen the aggravations helps and that includes gentle door closing.

I hear ya.

Hmm.... door and cupboard strategy....

I can pick up and accurately throw things with my feet, and have extremely good balance, so I tend to do alot of odd stuff when it comes to opening/closing things. And just alot of odd stuff in general.

Like, we've got one of those garbage cans in the kitchen that's inside the counter, you pull out the "drawer" that it's in to get at it. "Sensible" (boring) people would grab the handle at the top with their hands. I stick one foot under the whole drawer, lift up, and pull back, in one smooth motion.

Same with doors. Closing a door, most people turn towards it and use their hands and push it shut. Me, no. That's dull. I'll be carrying like a big pile of stuff, so I'll walk into my room, stop, face away from the door, and sort of backwards-Sparta-kick the thing shut, all very quickly. Well, okay, I'll do that even if I'm not carrying anything.

If I'm carrying a bunch of stuff and need to OPEN the door, well... we have latch handles on all the doors, instead of doorknobs. You do the math.

Ya know, it suddenly occurs to me that I do weird movements like these *really* often. I never, ever lose my balance though.

Yep. I often use my feet like 2 hands. Closing doors,even turning off the light switches with my toes if I'm carrying something.

Strangely don't lose my balance when that's happening.

Only do, if I'm not doing anything.

I'm fairly oblivious to how doors close but I can lift my foot above my head to flush a public toilet if necessary. Can't stand the thought of germs on public toilet handles.

I do ;) Mostly because I really dislike loud slamming noises and the 'click' or gentle 'tap' are definitely satisfying.

Yep. I often use my feet like 2 hands. Closing doors,even turning off the light switches with my toes if I'm carrying something.
Me too. If I'm carrying something and both hands are occupied, I'll use any part of body that happens to be available... a foot, an elbow, a knee, my head, my bum.

I've never had cabinet doors that clicked when closed. And most my doors have to be closed all the way with a little pressure.
As for the art of ballet when doing multiple things or just reaching, I used to all the time. And I used to could write with my right foot. Actually I could do anything better with my right foot than I ever could my left hand.
b8c3245e39cb294939af3edafd316e77--foot-pain-heel-pain.jpg

Always push close a door or cupboard with just enough strength so that it closes gently.

My list of 'must haves' when planning a new kitchen a few years ago included soft close mechanisms on drawers and cupboard doors. They close with a light tap, no need to slam shut. Bliss.

I've seen toilet seat lids that do the same thing, soft close and not slam down hard. I don't have one at the moment, but I would like one as the BANG from the loo seat dropping sometimes causes my head to explode. Ouch! :eek:

I have to ask - doesn't slamming cabinet doors usually cause them to bounce back open? I'm really curious about these cabinet doors to which everyone speaks of. :) I don't like slamming doors - especially car doors - I wanna yell that they are hurting the car (or going to mess it up) when they do that.

Above all, cupboard doors left open drive me nuts! We have some which won't close softly, and that is also very irritating, but I can live with that, just not with them being left open... I have to go round and shut them. One of the kitchen cupboard doors also has spice racks mounted on its inside, which are great (as long as they all get put back in the right order) but it does mean the shelf inside the cupboard has to be stacked right so that the door will still close properly, another source of irritation when it's not been done right...

I do this all the time, too. For me, it's not necessarily about minimizing effort to close - it's about not making noise. The less noise I make, the better.

Slamming a door - :eek:.
Closing a cabinet door silently - :cool:.

I've noticed that I do other stuff as quietly as possible, too:

Walking: When I hear my own footsteps, it's like a distraction from what I'm thinking about, so I start walking more carefully to make less noise.

Avoiding the beep: opening the microwave door with one second left, unplugging the toaster the very second that the toast pops up.

My list of 'must haves' when planning a new kitchen a few years ago included soft close mechanisms on drawers and cupboard doors. They close with a light tap, no need to slam shut. Bliss.

We just installed soft close hinges on all the kitchen cabinets. Yes, it's absolute bliss!

I want to do all the rest of the cabinets now.

I do this all the time, too. For me, it's not necessarily about minimizing effort to close - it's about not making noise. The less noise I make, the better.

Slamming a door - :eek:.
Closing a cabinet door silently - :cool:.

I've noticed that I do other stuff as quietly as possible, too:

Walking: When I hear my own footsteps, it's like a distraction from what I'm thinking about, so I start walking more carefully to make less noise.

Avoiding the beep: opening the microwave door with one second left, unplugging the toaster the very second that the toast pops up.

I do the microwave thing too.

New Threads

Top Bottom