• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't want to hire me? YOUR loss, MY gain!

SirMaverick

I've spent MANY years after I moved to Texas from New Hampshire trying to get employment. I finally said enough was enough, and in August 2008 thumbed my nose at 'em all and started my own business, ColllierRepair. I do computer work out of My apartment and love it. My prices are fair and very reasonable for the quality of work that gets done. Granted, I still kept looking after that but never had any luck.

I wasn't able to get a "real job" (as my mother would put it) until the Summer of 2011 and that was as a lifeguard at the local waterpark (which I might add is quite awesome!). It was an ok job...but as I found out afterwards...the only reason I got it was because of my uncle. He's the Director of Fleet Services for the City and he pulled a few strings to get me the job.

Currently, one of my best friends and I have started our own "Company", RHD. We are (I do believe) one of kind, as I don't know of any other companies that not only document cemeteries, but don't charge for it. We do this out of the goodness of our hearts. Currently, we're working on getting our incorporation papers together, and eventually we want to get non-profit status.

I know documenting cemeteries may seem a bit odd to some, but I love it. I personally view cemeteries not only as hallowed ground (especially our National Cemeteries), but as a classroom for history. We can learn so much from them and people don't even realize it. There are so many abandoned cemeteries in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that it's honestly unbelievable. There's actually one right in the heart of downtown Dallas, next to City Hall and in front of the Convention Center.

Not only can I make a difference, I can do it on my schedule.

I know documenting cemeteries may seem a bit odd to some, but I love it. I personally view cemeteries not only as hallowed ground (especially our National Cemeteries), but as a classroom for history. We can learn so much from them and people don't even realize it. There are so many abandoned cemeteries in the Dallas/Ft Worth area that it's honestly unbelievable. There's actually one right in the heart of downtown Dallas, next to City Hall and in front of the Convention Center.

Not only can I make a difference, I can do it on my schedule.

Fascinating. I can relate in terms of finding jobs, especially in terms of careers these days. I find what you stated about documenting cemeteries to be interesting. I have always had an interest in the paranormal since I was a child. I have also been a major fan of history of all sorts, and so I find this to be of interest. I think it's cool that you found a job that you enjoy. This is important in life.

Fascinating. I can relate in terms of finding jobs, especially in terms of careers these days. I find what you stated about documenting cemeteries to be interesting. I have always had an interest in the paranormal since I was a child. I have also been a major fan of history of all sorts, and so I find this to be of interest. I think it's cool that you found a job that you enjoy. This is important in life.

What we do, is we actually track down cemeteries, and photograph the headstones during the day time. Currently we have SEVERAL we are working on as of this moment. Our biggest one being Dallas Fort Worth National Cemetery.

I know right? that's why I love it. we do this not just for historical purposes, but so that there's a record of what the stone looked like at the time the picture was taken.

I don't know what state your in, but there's a county here in Texas to my west called Parker County. Well, about 3 miles from me in Hurst, Tx is a Cemetery called Parker Cemetery. you should look it up. It's quite interesting! NOT very big, but still...it's historical as laid to rest there is the gentleman that Parker County is named after.

There's also some other facts but I shall just bait your curiosity for now :D

This is amazing work you're doing.

For instance, my best friend is buried in Snow Hill Cemetery.
Snow Hill used to be a city off I-20 halfway between Texarkana and Sulphur Springs, TX.
The only thing left in what used to be the city of Snow Hill is the Baptist Church next to the cemetery.

The only way i can get to her headstone is through a GPS location.
There is no other address nearby. Just having a picture of the headstone would be amazing.:cool:

Fascinating Sir Maverick!!

This is amazing work you're doing.

For instance, my best friend is buried in Snow Hill Cemetery.
Snow Hill used to be a city off I-20 halfway between Texarkana and Sulphur Springs, TX.
The only thing left in what used to be the city of Snow Hill is the Baptist Church next to the cemetery.

The only way i can get to her headstone is through a GPS location.
There is no other address nearby. Just having a picture of the headstone would be amazing.:cool:

Fascinating Sir Maverick!!

What's your friend's name?

I too have decided to go the self-employed route. When I was rolling long a few years ago, I had no problem getting interviews (I can write a great job application) but I kept missing out on the job interviews! The last couple of jobs I had where when I was hung over at the interview! what that says about my body language, who knows?!!! :p

So, this time round I'm doing my own business. I'd agree with the sentiment of this thread, as it is a loss for people not to let us aspies be ourselves in a job. everyone has good and bad points about themselves, even - gosh - NT's!! Personally, if I wanted to hire someone for my business, I'd pick someone with the drive and determination that I have myself. I think I'd prefer an aspie over a NT. Of course, that would be classed as discrimination if I said that, and we all know that NT's treat us fairly and without prejudice don't we?? :banghead: So, if I was interviewing someone for a job, I'd make sure I asked them questions about their level of drive and determination. Someone who could smooth talk things and show no sign of meaning what they say wouldn't get the Job! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom