• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

I am relatively new to the forum. I have mixed feelings about this way of meeting people. The forum feels safe in that it seems low-risk when compared to meeting people in person. However, am I really meeting anyone? Correspondence is an old use for writing and it is a practical way to interact with others who are not proximus. Perhaps my grasp of reality is too nebulous but often I do not feel like I am meeting anyone when I communicate via a forum with someone whom I have never met.

Hello. I’m new here. The last forum I used to interact with other Aspies seem to have gone down. I am officially diagnosed and I have several interests including drag queens and performances, music, fashion dolls, video games, and Pokémon.

Hi all

Over the last 2-3 years I have realised that I have a striking amount in common with people on the Autistic spectrum and I am currently seeking a formal diagnosis for Aspergers. I have struggled socially all my life and don’t have any deep friendships or close relationships, so I was hoping to eventually meet people who I can relate to and would accept me for who I am. I’m male, 29 and based in England, I’m not sure if there’s any meet up groups?

Traditionally I like football and theme parks but both of these interests have waned for me as they’ve become more corporate. In the last few years I’ve taken more of a keen interest in music which has taken their place.

One day I would love to be able to pursue romantic relationships but I’m not hopeful. I often feel very unattractive and alien to most people and I have ‘masked’ since my secondary school days to try and fit in. But if I could generate a feeling of belonging around people that are a bit more like me that’s a start.

Other than that, sometimes I feel like I need someone to talk things out with for emotional support so it would be nice to have the option of that here. Thanks for having me :)

I really never know what to say with these.

I'm a 42 year old male. I was diagnosed in childhood. Pretty non-verbal early on, was always different. Classmates would generally perceive me as the strange slow one though I wasn't slow. I just couldn't communicate.

I didn't discover girls until I was 20, was in three relationships with the longest one at six months. Now I gave up on anything long term, nothing meaningful. I learned to mask and be a closet autistic to avoid preconceptions, and I have a few friends.

Recently as of a couple years ago I finally began to be open about being autistic. I haven't regretted it. Not only have people accepted me, I've learned of others like me. They share some or many of my same traits, and I learned they even have names like masking and stimming. I felt understood.

For the first time I wasn't the weird outcast with a mental disability. I was different but in a beautiful way.

I'm really not sure what I want to gain from this community, but maybe it'll be nice talking to others who understand what its like to not want to be touched or have situations where you were frustrated because you just couldn't say what you meant or hear the meaning behind what someone else said, or even in managing meltdowns.

Hi I’m sumo I’m from the Uk I’m fifteen and for about four years I have been wondering if I’m on the autism spectrum. ADAD and other neurological disorders run in my close family and recently we have all noticed that I seem to losses traits of being on the spectrum. Obviously I don’t have a diagnosis and I wouldn’t go as far to say that I am self diagnosed with autism but it has defiantly crossed my mind as a possibility to explain different things in my life so I wanted to find a forum to ask members of the community some questions. My main question is regarding stiming. I know that stiming is not an autism specific thing but is a common occurrence in those with autism. I have been “stiming” for as long as I can remember but I’m not sure if these things can actually be classed as atoms and if they could be indicators of autism. I have other reasons to belive that I may be autistic besides stiming but this was my main question fir today - I experience a frequent clenching of the hands and torso/chest and stomach as if I am holding my breath sometimes along side a squealing or screeching noise. I do this most frequently when I am very exited or stressed about something and have recently been experiencing it more and more frequently as I have been going through some stress recently. I had a friend suggest that it could be a version of stiming but I have never heard any examples of this kid if stiming. I wanted to ask if this is something anyone has heard of or experienced before and if it sounds like a stim? sorry if it’s poorly explained Im not to sure how to describe it

Hello, my name is Zialex. I'm a black guy and believe I likely have Aspergers; I haven't gotten a diagnosis yet. Plan too at some point, but I don't need it for validation, or at least I don't feel I need the proof from a credentialed authority. One of my many obsessions is the study of human behavior. Reading as much as I can online, books, lectures, documentaries, but also people watching. So over the years, I've grown more and more skeptical of the whole field of psychiatry. But I understand not every psychiatrist is ******; it's just hard for me to trust any myself.

But more specifically, I've always felt different though it has been difficult for me to gauge how different. Because reclusive and don't care to be around most people. I'm quick to annoy but don't show it. I don't show anything; I seem reserved and quiet when in reality, far from it. I have no filter. Social interactions baffle me, and I have an unusual fascination with being alone, too much for it to be expected. I can count my friends on one palm, and it wouldn't even include all the fingers. Even then, I hardly talk to most of them. I'm only really close to one person. Yet, he supports me and all my endeavors.

I'm lucky that I have the support system I have. As a result, I've never really had to work though I've tried, and ah well... It didn't work out. I can never tell what people want to the capacity they want cause it seems to change significantly. So I've opted to seek alternate forms of income.

I've had a few psychotic breaks where I ended up in a mental hospital. Which, to be honest, felt pleasant and euphoric, but at the time of them happening, it wasn't so lovely for those who cared for me. So I try not to worry them even though I have difficulty with understanding why they worry. I have a very matter a fact attitude about life; whatever happens, happens. So if something happens to me due to my psychosis or anything, that's what it is. No hard feelings from my end. I just have a hard time holding grudges, feeling bitter, guilt shame, embarrassment, hate, or any other sorted feelings about such matters. In a lot of ways, I still have the attitude of a child. So I've had to compensate with habits like critical thinking. Cause I'm highly suggestible, the things I can be talked into doing or believing if I'm not careful is astounding. I'm surprised I haven't joined a Jim jones level death cult. Though I have my parents and close friends to thank that for giving me an adequate ******** detector. I still got to be careful because I have little to no life experience.

But anyway, I had those psychotic breaks because of a shattered identity; see, I've been so used to masking. It overtook me and made me feel fuzzy. I never cared for it but knew and understood from what little observation I made that it's necessary to stimulate my idea of what it means to be expected. But in the end, I'm always confused about what any of that even means.

So I'm glad to be here. I hope to get to know many of you.

The Zialex.

Welcome. I am sure you will find support here, and sometimes things to challenge your thinking. Growing up I don't think I masked but felt whipsawed by trying to please people. It was hard to develop my agency, and that, I think, allowed me to mature socially, even with some deficits.

Hello, my name is Zialex. I'm a black guy and believe I likely have Aspergers; I haven't gotten a diagnosis yet. Plan too at some point, but I don't need it for validation, or at least I don't feel I need the proof from a credentialed authority. One of my many obsessions is the study of human behavior. Reading as much as I can online, books, lectures, documentaries, but also people watching. So over the years, I've grown more and more skeptical of the whole field of psychiatry. But I understand not every psychiatrist is ******; it's just hard for me to trust any myself.

But more specifically, I've always felt different though it has been difficult for me to gauge how different. Because reclusive and don't care to be around most people. I'm quick to annoy but don't show it. I don't show anything; I seem reserved and quiet when in reality, far from it. I have no filter. Social interactions baffle me, and I have an unusual fascination with being alone, too much for it to be expected. I can count my friends on one palm, and it wouldn't even include all the fingers. Even then, I hardly talk to most of them. I'm only really close to one person. Yet, he supports me and all my endeavors.

I'm lucky that I have the support system I have. As a result, I've never really had to work though I've tried, and ah well... It didn't work out. I can never tell what people want to the capacity they want cause it seems to change significantly. So I've opted to seek alternate forms of income.

I've had a few psychotic breaks where I ended up in a mental hospital. Which, to be honest, felt pleasant and euphoric, but at the time of them happening, it wasn't so lovely for those who cared for me. So I try not to worry them even though I have difficulty with understanding why they worry. I have a very matter a fact attitude about life; whatever happens, happens. So if something happens to me due to my psychosis or anything, that's what it is. No hard feelings from my end. I just have a hard time holding grudges, feeling bitter, guilt shame, embarrassment, hate, or any other sorted feelings about such matters. In a lot of ways, I still have the attitude of a child. So I've had to compensate with habits like critical thinking. Cause I'm highly suggestible, the things I can be talked into doing or believing if I'm not careful is astounding. I'm surprised I haven't joined a Jim jones level death cult. Though I have my parents and close friends to thank that for giving me an adequate ******** detector. I still got to be careful because I have little to no life experience.

But anyway, I had those psychotic breaks because of a shattered identity; see, I've been so used to masking. It overtook me and made me feel fuzzy. I never cared for it but knew and understood from what little observation I made that it's necessary to stimulate my idea of what it means to be expected. But in the end, I'm always confused about what any of that even means.

So I'm glad to be here. I hope to get to know many of you.

The Zialex.

Hello Zialex

I've been around for going on 75 years. That's a good long time to be the odd one in world that is mercurial, arbitrary and insane. I was diagnosed about seven years ago though it didn't come as any surprise. Your comment, "I had those psychotic breaks because of a shattered identity; see, I've been so used to masking." really hit home. I've been there too and for much the same reasons. I did not have a supportive family; my parents reigned in my behavior with beatings and plausible threats to have me institutionalized. I lost it somewhere in my twenties and it took several years for me to return to some level of functionality. After wandering through a half dozen countries and at least a dozen states, I believe I have adjusted to whom I am but the world has become no less mercurial, arbitrary and insane.

Hello & welcome @The Zialex.

Thank you very much

(BTW, what is a "zialex...?")

Nothing in particular just a name I made up. "Z" is my favorite letter and I love making up names with the letter "Z" in it.

Welcome. I am sure you will find support here, and sometimes things to challenge your thinking. Growing up I don't think I masked but felt whipsawed by trying to please people. It was hard to develop my agency, and that, I think, allowed me to mature socially, even with some deficits.

Yes, I can relate to that. I didn't even know there was a name for what I was doing. It was when I looked more into it. But I had a feeling because I've always seemed to relate more to people on the spectrum than most ordinary people. So I thought it was something I was supposed to do lest I make the people around me feel uncomfortable from how weird I am. So I'd pretend to simulate a person cause I never wanted the hassles. Still, fortunately, I never had to do it as much. Cause as I've mentioned, I never went out and explored the world that much. But still, I did and what little I did had a profound effect on me. Ala, the bouts of psychosis.

Hello Zialex

I've been around for going on 75 years. That's a good long time to be the odd one in world that is mercurial, arbitrary and insane. I was diagnosed about seven years ago though it didn't come as any surprise. Your comment, "I had those psychotic breaks because of a shattered identity; see, I've been so used to masking." really hit home. I've been there too and for much the same reasons. I did not have a supportive family; my parents reigned in my behavior with beatings and plausible threats to have me institutionalized. I lost it somewhere in my twenties and it took several years for me to return to some level of functionality. After wandering through a half dozen countries and at least a dozen states, I believe I have adjusted to whom I am but the world has become no less mercurial, arbitrary and insane.

I'm glad you can relate, Dennis S. And yes, that is a long time. But yes, masking for most of my life, especially when I was unaware of it, has stirred a lot of psychological problems for me. I'm just now starting to undo them, but it takes time, as I'm sure you'll understand.

My family or immediate family at least support me as much as they can. But I'm so private it's hardly necessary. I've been brought up so reclusively I hardly need that sort of support. Other than financial support anyways. But jeez, I'm sorry to hear that. That's why I consider myself lucky cause not telling the amount of trouble I would have landed into. And yes, I've been beaten; well, most would call it spanking, but that's nonsense. Calling it by another name doesn't lessen the act. For me, it was with a belt, and it had the opposite effect then was initially intended.

And yes, I'm glad you've finally come into your own it's difficult, I'm sure. Cause as you've mentioned, the world is very foolish, and I've always been a bit disgusted by it.

Thanx for the reply.

The Zialex

Thank you very much

Nothing in particular just a name I made up. "Z" is my favorite letter and I love making up names with the letter "Z" in it.

Yes, I can relate to that. I didn't even know there was a name for what I was doing. It was when I looked more into it. But I had a feeling because I've always seemed to relate more to people on the spectrum than most ordinary people. So I thought it was something I was supposed to do lest I make the people around me feel uncomfortable from how weird I am. So I'd pretend to simulate a person cause I never wanted the hassles. Still, fortunately, I never had to do it as much. Cause as I've mentioned, I never went out and explored the world that much. But still, I did and what little I did had a profound effect on me. Ala, the bouts of psychosis.
Sad to hear about your psychosis. That is rough. I understand a little of your struggle. Besides being schyzotypal, my primary deficits were the manner of my communication and my social deficits, being blind to emotional communication and being very impulsive. During my teen and young adult years I had no support and was socially isolated and lonely. I had to rebuild myself to even have a chance at being socially mature. I guess that must have felt traumatic because I am now working on PTSD from my experiences then.

But I was fortunate that my interests and intelligence allowed me to pursue a technical career. And while I was afraid of much, after 30 I said to hell with that and made outdoor activities my special interests, taking up Whitewater Open Canoe, Scuba, and Nordic Skiing. Then, while still anxious about new experiences, having to travel for work opened up the world to me. I have been so fortunate but know that,despite our ASD, we have the capacity to persevere and live a full life.

I wish you all the best on your journey.

Hello all!

I am honestly not sure where to start… I guess, for starters, I’ve never officially been diagnosed with ASD, but I’m currently on a bit self-discovery journey and keeping it on my list of possibilities. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and OCD, so I do know I am under the neurodivergent umbrella, I’m just not sure if that’s the whole story… after looking into the ASD diagnosis criteria, taking a multitude of tests (sometimes the same ones over and over), and seeing other people’s stories, it just seems… right, I guess. Then other times, imposter syndrome kicks in pretty hard, and I begin to question everything.

My brother was diagnosed with Asperger’s at age 4, and I have a lot of people in my family that have also been diagnosed. All males, but a large portion, nonetheless.

Anyway! I’m not really sure what I’m trying to look for in this forum… answers, validation, neither, both… a sense of community, maybe. I figured I’d just give a bit of a rundown. I never know how to properly and coherently introduce myself, but here’s my “hello!”

o/

Hello all!

I am honestly not sure where to start… I guess, for starters, I’ve never officially been diagnosed with ASD, but I’m currently on a bit self-discovery journey and keeping it on my list of possibilities. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and OCD, so I do know I am under the neurodivergent umbrella, I’m just not sure if that’s the whole story… after looking into the ASD diagnosis criteria, taking a multitude of tests (sometimes the same ones over and over), and seeing other people’s stories, it just seems… right, I guess. Then other times, imposter syndrome kicks in pretty hard, and I begin to question everything.

My brother was diagnosed with Asperger’s at age 4, and I have a lot of people in my family that have also been diagnosed. All males, but a large portion, nonetheless.

Anyway! I’m not really sure what I’m trying to look for in this forum… answers, validation, neither, both… a sense of community, maybe. I figured I’d just give a bit of a rundown. I never know how to properly and coherently introduce myself, but here’s my “hello!”

o/

Hello, Lindsay and welcome to the forum. I hope you like it here.

Howdy, I'm 58 recently self diagnosed, Aspergers. 30 years diagnosed as bipolar, now what? Hope to meet and learn as many good souls as possible. I've read 6 books since my epiphany 2 weeks ago, ASPERGERS!!! Explains everything. Multiple degrees, athletic, walk out of jobs for no reason, yada.... however, when I open my mouth I offend people, without malace or intent. Sound familiar? Let's chat. Hope you all find peace, Namaste. Edwin

New Threads

Top Bottom