• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hey Jessica! Yeah I totally relate with the part about how you obsessed over an actress/her fictional characters. That is exactly what I have been doing for 3 years now, although the actress I obsessed over I am now over and have moved on to another one. Its so funny you mentioned that. They end up becoming my role models/idols and their life always looks perfect and like they have everything I don't have: the world's love, friends, so many people who love and adore and care for them. I get pretty jealous over them and its hard to not compare myself to them. Do you relate?

I don't know about 'obsess', but I certainly have a couple fictional characters who have long been a source of comfort, and 'internal caregivers', so to speak. I've found that when a character has become really important to me, the actresses voice will bring the same comfort/etc. (thankfully both the two I mentioned above narrate audiobooks, so I have that. :). Some people might think I have too many pictures of the one beside my bed (it helps me sleep), but when I look at NT's obsessions over sci-fi fandoms, my interest pales in comparison, generally! :cool:.

Hi Bolletje,
Thanks for sharing, and my mother just thought I was looking for something to be wrong with me as well as my other family members. My boyfriend who is my best guy friend I had started dating 2 years ago thinks I am just emotionally damaged from any childhood emotional issues. Though. I always say that I feel like I am not from this planet. I constantly network animals and cannot watch any movies with an animal getting hurt and physically makes me angry as I donate all the time to shelters and rescues. Getting a physical drives me cracy because the thought of heartbeat/pulse and being touched without my say. The dentist is not as bad because they're poking my gums and I pick my gums. I dislike grooming and spending any time to do my hair or makeup but I do it sometimes. I collect snail decorations and clothing with snail prints on them and childrens books. Does anyone like to pull out items out of their closet and put them out imagining they're doing something with them? I had an active imagination when I was a kid and did enjoy pretend play but more on my own terms.

Getting a diagnosis as a women is hard. I had lots of people telling me the same thing about exaggerating, or making it up, etc. when I was trying to get a diagnosis. They were all wrong. It was blatantly obvious when I finally got someone who knew what they were looking at! And it's a lot easier to get a diagnosis now then it was then, because people recognize now that even intelligent, capable people can still be autistic, and struggle with things 'everybody else' finds easy or takes for granted. And there are professionals who actually specialize in diagnosing adults now, which also didn't used to happen.

Oh, and I am both autistic, and have a lot of childhood trauma. Some related, some not. Many of us on the spectrum have been traumatized by society's attitudes towards us (diagnosed or undiagnosed. each has it's own problems), and the professionals are finally starting to recognize that, as a population, we're more at risk for mental health issues, as well as being abused. At least they don't think we're incapable of even having emotions anymore!

If you feel strongly about getting a diagnosis, then don't let anyone keep you from trying! Even if the end result is a different diagnosis, as long as it's done by a qualified professional, who actually knows what they're doing, then it was still worth it. Especially if it helps you access services, and/or be able to explain your difficulties to yourself, and/or others.

Hello Everyone :)

I am Nineteen years old and live in the Manchester area of the United kingdom. I was diagnosed at the age of Ten.

I've been aware of this site for some time but have only now just decided to register properly and try to contribute as well as i can while i am here.

And as you can guess from my profile pic Nine inch nails is one of my favorite bands

I look forward to discussing with you's

Hi All,

I am 45 and self diagnosed HFA through online tests about 4 months ago after watching some episodes of Elementary where there was an Autistic love interest (it sounds silly I know, but some of the behavior depicted felt very familiar and it got me thinking). I work as a senior engineer in IT, have been working half my life, got married with two kids but now seperated (it's not easy to be a wife to someone on the spectrum I guess and neither was it easy for me).

Hoping (though still unsure if I should) to get an official assessment sometime soon but it costs a lot of money (Medicare does not assist with adult autism diagnosis here in down under).

Reading and watching a lot of information on the web and most advise for those who discovered their condition in their adult years was to get in contact with like minded people in meetings and online forums. With the pandemic still going, I thought I'd give the online forums a go

Hi All,

I am 45 and self diagnosed HFA through online tests about 4 months ago after watching some episodes of Elementary where there was an Autistic love interest (it sounds silly I know, but some of the behavior depicted felt very familiar and it got me thinking). I work as a senior engineer in IT, have been working half my life, got married with two kids but now seperated (it's not easy to be a wife to someone on the spectrum I guess and neither was it easy for me).

Hoping (though still unsure if I should) to get an official assessment sometime soon but it costs a lot of money (Medicare does not assist with adult autism diagnosis here in down under).

Reading and watching a lot of information on the web and most advise for those who discovered their condition in their adult years was to get in contact with like minded people in meetings and online forums. With the pandemic still going, I thought I'd give the online forums a go

Thinking more about this diagnostic issue, the the stigma that goes along with self diagnosis, and all the issues involved, especially now that autism is so much more well known, I think it does help one's credibility with 'professionals' if one's self diagnosis is also 'peer confirmed'. Especially if said peers can explain, and/or document for you why they believe you 'fit' among them, and why they feel you belong in/to the community.

Thinking more about this diagnostic issue, the the stigma that goes along with self diagnosis, and all the issues involved, especially now that autism is so much more well known, I think it does help one's credibility with 'professionals' if one's self diagnosis is also 'peer confirmed'. Especially if said peers can explain, and/or document for you why they believe you 'fit' among them, and why they feel you belong in/to the community.

I read there can be a lot of initial resistance but how does one go about get peer confirmed?

I read there can be a lot of initial resistance but how does one go about get peer confirmed?

Pretty much just by getting involved in community of autistic people, and discussing your experiences and such things, and seeing how much the other people relate to what you're saying,and discussing your efforts at trying to get a diagnosis (if you decide to go that route.) since it's usually more than just one appointment/assessment, (I think. It certainly used to be be, but that was many years ago). It takes a while to be 'peer confirmed', since people need to get to know you and such, as happens with any social group. It may 'just happen', or you may need to (eventually), specifically ask a few (autistic) people who you feel know you well, or have authority, (preferably both) how they see you and what they think about you being on the spectrum.

Pretty much just by getting involved in community of autistic people, and discussing your experiences and such things, and seeing how much the other people relate to what you're saying,and discussing your efforts at trying to get a diagnosis (if you decide to go that route.) since it's usually more than just one appointment/assessment, (I think. It certainly used to be be, but that was many years ago). It takes a while to be 'peer confirmed', since people need to get to know you and such, as happens with any social group. It may 'just happen', or you may need to (eventually), specifically ask a few (autistic) people who you feel know you well, or have authority, (preferably both) how they see you and what they think about you being on the spectrum.

Being willing to go to meetings was never my strong suite but I guess I have to push myself a bit more to start the change :(

Thanks for the warm welcome, no need to further fill up the introduction thread with this :rolleyes:

Being willing to go to meetings was never my strong suite but I guess I have to push myself a bit more to start the change :(

Thanks for the warm welcome, no need to further fill up the introduction thread with this :rolleyes:

Whatever works. I'm sure there are newbies who need the information as well as established members.

I was lucky that by networking with colleagues who were suddenly finding themselves dyslexic / dyspraxic / ADD, I was put in touch with a diagnostic teacher, an ed psych and some insightful OTs, and also autistic authors whom I bumped in to at talks. As a fairly big organisation, my employers at the time had retained a part-time coach and had the insight to (indirectly) persuade my GP to rubber stamp what write-ups I had. The "system" isn't easy.

This thread is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Chilly Willy @The Penguin

Well, Hi. Not quite ready to make a "Hi, I'm new here thread yet" but yeah. Hi!
I don't even know if I am on the autism spectrum or not. I started watching Aspergers from the Inside on Youtube last year and that made me wonder. Have asked my parents a bit lately how I was as a child and well, I have to ask more. They don't really take this seriously. From what I have heard yet I could possibly be on the spectrum but that's all I've got.
I have some challenges on an every day basis though and I want to se if someone is experiencing similar difficulties or if I can find something helpful here.
I am a woman from Sweden, I am almost 31 and I don't want to say my name quite yet for personal reasons.
I have read the rules that you have on the forum and I will respect them of course. I apologize in advance if I spell some words wrong (I honestly think I need to have my eyes checked and I might have to get glasses.)
Well, that's enough for now. I hope no one will be offended by the fact that I don't know if I'm autistic or not.
Kind Regards P

Hello all.
My name is Jessica, 28 and i live in Cornwall. I was diagnosed with Asperges and a mild form of tourettes when i was 14.
I live with my partner and together we have a 2 year old daughter and a 6 year old son.
Our son is currently on the autism pathway and we are awaiting a diagnosis (it was supposed to be in January but delayed due to covid).
Looking forward to meeting new people x

Well, Hi. Not quite ready to make a "Hi, I'm new here thread yet" but yeah. Hi!
I don't even know if I am on the autism spectrum or not. I started watching Aspergers from the Inside on Youtube last year and that made me wonder. Have asked my parents a bit lately how I was as a child and well, I have to ask more. They don't really take this seriously. From what I have heard yet I could possibly be on the spectrum but that's all I've got.
I have some challenges on an every day basis though and I want to se if someone is experiencing similar difficulties or if I can find something helpful here.
I am a woman from Sweden, I am almost 31 and I don't want to say my name quite yet for personal reasons.
I have read the rules that you have on the forum and I will respect them of course. I apologize in advance if I spell some words wrong (I honestly think I need to have my eyes checked and I might have to get glasses.)
Well, that's enough for now. I hope no one will be offended by the fact that I don't know if I'm autistic or not.
Kind Regards P

Looks like an introduction post to me. :) Welcome!

Hello all.
My name is Jessica, 28 and i live in Cornwall. I was diagnosed with Asperges and a mild form of tourettes when i was 14.
I live with my partner and together we have a 2 year old daughter and a 6 year old son.
Our son is currently on the autism pathway and we are awaiting a diagnosis (it was supposed to be in January but delayed due to covid).
Looking forward to meeting new people x

Welcome!

Hello everyone,

I am self diagnosed Aspergers. 45 I've made the leap to admitting it formally to myself, when it was always previously a suspicion.

My father I am pretty sure has Aspergers, and the whole side of the family are diagnosed Aspergers - both his brothers and their kids.

Basically just wanting to share some 'traits' I have and see if there are strategies to cope that people could share.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hello everyone...
Okay, that's all. Thanks for reading. Sorry for the wall of text. I think maybe it's because I have been carrying stress for a long time. Plus I guess I just wanted to find out how familiar this all sounds to people, and hoping to feel a bit less alone with it all. I have been miserable for a long time (not depressed - but just hard on myself about social failures).

Hi Peter and Welcome to the Forums.
One acronym I have learnt in here it TLDR and it was applied to a wall of text.

What you wrote was paragraphed and that made things MUCH easier to read. Thank you for that consideration.

Haha, I guess it was asking a bit much. I will figure out a better way to do it.

Hi Peter, seems we are in a similar situation, self diag at 45 (after seperating with kids) and I too suspect my father is Aspergers or HFA (curious as he is a retired medical doctor and no one noticed still).

I felt a relief tbh after a took quite a few online tests which all pointed at Aspergers/HFA (there appear to be slight differences between both). Now at least I know there was and is nothing wrong with me, just different.

Hi Everyone! Just want to quickly introduce myself for now and look forward to coming back soon to join discussions.

I'm a 40-year-old woman. Grew up as exceptionally gifted, a very early reader, excelling in every subject ahead of my peers, etc. I was brutally bullied throughout childhood and adolescence and assumed it was because I was the "too smart nerd." I was always an outsider and largely a loner. Other girls especially hated me and bullied me viciously.

I also struggled all my adult life in ways I couldn't understand with job environments and other situations in which it seemed like people were just angry at me, that I was doing something wrong that no one would explain to me. I got pushed out of jobs and excluded from groups all the time no matter how hard I tried to be "nice." A few years ago I just stopped trying.

So about a year ago, I happened upon an article describing the traits of Asperger's girls and women and instantly recognized myself. It wasn't just social struggles, but a variety of experiences and "quirks" I never imagined were connected. The more I read about the experiences of Asperger's women, the more undeniable the reality became.

So, here I am, looking to talk to others with my experiences and maybe learn some things that will make my path in this world a little easier.

Cheers!

New Threads

Top Bottom