• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hello, I'm 16 years old and from Colorado. I was diagnosed with high functioning autism at the age of 10. I enjoy skiing, math, and playing video games even though I'm awful at them.

My name is Jackie. I've been diagnosed with Asperger's for 2 years now, having received the diagnosis late in life. The therapist also diagnosed GAD, MDD, CPTSD, BED. I've questioned several times whether I might have Avoidant Personality Disorder, but she said I do not have a personality disorder. She also said she does not believe in personality disorders. What do you all think, is avoidant personality another comorbidity to being born with Asperger's? Looking forward to what this site will turn up.

hey there, my name is laurel. i am 20 years old, i identify as a genderqueer gremlin, and i'm omnisexual. i like to draw, play the sims 4, watch youtube videos, and sleep. i get terrible anxiety attacks, so bad that i start twitching. i wrap myself in a blanket, and calm myself.

i can't wait to meet you guys! :)

This thread is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Chilly Willy @The Penguin
Hiya,
I only read about aspergers a few days ago. I did not know that my social oddness was a shared trait.I thought I was the only one like me.
I'm a 58 years old male. Always employed, socially awkward, don't really understand people.
Maybe I will "fit in" here...
JW

Hello, my name is Ron. I'm 63. My nephew has been diagnosed with Asperger's. As I have been reading up on it I begin to think that I may have it also. I have many questions about it and hope to find some answers here, both so that I can understand my nephew, and decide if there is any point in seeking a diagnosis for myself.

Hiya,
I only read about aspergers a few days ago. I did not know that my social oddness was a shared trait.I thought I was the only one like me.
I'm a 58 years old male. Always employed, socially awkward, don't really understand people.
Maybe I will "fit in" here...
JW
Hi JDub.
Sounds like we might have some things in common, due to our nearness in age and newness to this subject.
Ron

Hi!

I'd rather not create my own thread, but just post a small notation here! ;)
I received my diagnosis (ADHD "with autistic features") about an hour ago.
Late in life, might I add. I'm not 18 anymore. I'm in my mid-thirties, already.
I wonder how/if this will affect my life.
I'm guess I'm still processing this new information.
Eventually, pieces will fall into place, I guess.

I am an 18 year old recently diagnosed woman, and that's all I guess

Welcome to the Forums @EeveeFae

Some of us have been newly diagnosed and some here are self diagnosed.
However, you are welcome here, so do pull up a chair and catch up with the chat and join in when you feel ready to.

Hello everyone,

My name is Matt and I am 30 years old and live in New Hampshire.

I was just officially diagnosed on the autism spectrum this week after wondering (my whole life) why everything seems harder for me. I was also diagnosed with "Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" , "Attention-Deficit Disorder" and "Social Phobia." I have struggled my whole life with "fitting in" and finding friends - and I was hoping this forum would be a great place to talk with people who I can relate to.

I have a few steady "obsessions" such a movies and video games - but I seem to alternate through side hobbies very often such as Pokemon Cards, Comics, and Drawing.

This thread is more for new members might be shy to introduce themselves.

No need to fear, you joined a great site. No rush to introduce yourself. Take the time you need. But once you are ready to introduce yourself, you will be greeted by many people.

Yours Truly,

Chilly Willy @The Penguin
Hi! You can call my FriendlyButConfused and I am 17. I think I am autistic, but I haven't been diagnosed. I am here to find out what exactly I have and to relate to people. Nice to meet y'all!

Hi, my name is Dylan Taylor, I'm 18 years old, I'm from Engadine, New South Wales, Australia and I have autism and ADHD!

Hi,

Im Lissa, 20 and I came here because I struggle with understanding people and life and have wondered if I have Asperger’s syndrome for years. I am quite expressionless and feel cut off from others almost as if they are on another wavelength I cant quite reach. Usually I am calm and have been told I am very intelligent, but sometimes I get overwhelmed to the degree where I have a meltdown over small things such as a change in furniture in my room or too much noise. I’ve constantly been told I have anxiety or depression my whole life although I have suffered from both. I hope to maybe understand more about myself here. I like drawing and listening to music.

Hi,

Im Lissa, 20 and I came here because I struggle with understanding people and life and have wondered if I have Asperger’s syndrome for years. I am quite expressionless and feel cut off from others almost as if they are on another wavelength I cant quite reach. Usually I am calm and have been told I am very intelligent, but sometimes I get overwhelmed to the degree where I have a meltdown over small things such as a change in furniture in my room or too much noise. I’ve constantly been told I have anxiety or depression my whole life although I have suffered from both. I hope to maybe understand more about myself here. I like drawing and listening to music.
Oh, and I also hyperfixate on pokemon.

hellosmall.jpg

I’m new at sites like this and am certain that I will make a fool of myself. I am 68 years old and only self-diagnosed autism about 3 months ago. Had researched many times over the years, but could not arrive at autism until after DSM-5. I lost my wife of 40 years 2 years ago, and am pretty much screwed without her. It has been moving out of that ‘comfort zone’ that set me on this voyage of self-discovery. When I read posts from other autists, it touches me deeply to know I’m not a one-of-a-kind freak. Had I only known early on!

Hey everyone, name’s Michael, It’s nice to meet you all. I am the author of my self-written book “MICHAELISM: My POV on Life with Autism”

Attachments

• 382E5155-5A19-4444-8E91-9A8E299BA472.jpeg
    382E5155-5A19-4444-8E91-9A8E299BA472.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 96
Jessica, for many years I needed to sleep with the door open too. It caused a lot of trouble when I stayed at my dad's. His new wife didn't understand or accept it at all! We eventually compromised with me getting out of bed and opening the door a little after she'd closed it. Later, I moved downstairs where it was all open space. (and only me). Solved the problem. Until I stopped going there, anyways. Not trying to offer solutions that may not work, just trying to relate.

Now, on the rare occasion I sleep somewhere not home, I still leave the bedroom door open, but am fine if someone closes it while I'm sleeping.

Oh! Just remembered why I had so much trouble sleeping with the door closed. My proprioception (sense of where my body was in space, without looking) was so poor that in the dark, without being able to see the dimensions of the room, I'd lose all sense of myself in space, and would become terrified. I've got considerably better proprioception now, but still not great.

New Threads

Top Bottom