• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Don't Be Shy To Introduce Yourself

Hi All,

Reading and watching a lot of information on the web and most advise for those who discovered their condition in their adult years was to get in contact with like minded people in meetings and online forums. With the pandemic still going, I thought I'd give the online forums a go

I made my self-discovery about a year ago. Pretty soon after I found the Autistic community on Twitter, which was helpful for a while. But then it got kind of frustrating because it's taboo in that community to use the term "Asperger's" or "high-functioning" or to discuss being autistic with a high IQ. You get accused of "supremacy" pretty quickly, and I found myself criticized a lot for wanting to talk about what it's like to be 2E (autistic and intellectually gifted). Even being told that "giftedness" isn't real. It kind of also got weird with a lot of "we need to hear from BIPOC autistics and/or LGBTQ autistics and white/cishet autistics should be more quiet about their struggles, which are not as important" because honestly I wasn't ready to be quiet about my struggles when I only discovered a year ago that I'm Asperger's (which I wasn't allowed to say!) and I was tired of the "Oh no the white autistics are talking again *eyeroll*" bullying.

So, all that to say I have decided to come to a forum like this instead where I feel more welcome and able to discuss my specific experiences and type of autism, which is Asperger's. I'm thinking this will be much more helpful, and I like the old-fashioned internet better, anyway.

I made my self-discovery about a year ago. Pretty soon after I found the Autistic community on Twitter, which was helpful for a while. But then it got kind of frustrating because it's taboo in that community to use the term "Asperger's" or "high-functioning" or to discuss being autistic with a high IQ. You get accused of "supremacy" pretty quickly, and I found myself criticized a lot for wanting to talk about what it's like to be 2E (autistic and intellectually gifted). Even being told that "giftedness" isn't real. It kind of also got weird with a lot of "we need to hear from BIPOC autistics and/or LGBTQ autistics and white/cishet autistics should be more quiet about their struggles, which are not as important" because honestly I wasn't ready to be quiet about my struggles when I only discovered a year ago that I'm Asperger's (which I wasn't allowed to say!) and I was tired of the "Oh no the white autistics are talking again *eyeroll*" bullying.

So, all that to say I have decided to come to a forum like this instead where I feel more welcome and able to discuss my specific experiences and type of autism, which is Asperger's. I'm thinking this will be much more helpful, and I like the old-fashioned internet better, anyway.

Twitter Facebook Instagram (probably even TikTok to an extend) where people can reply to what you share tends to bring out the worse in most sadly. Everyone's struggle is real to themselves and deserves to be listened to. I think those mediums are by design encouraging toxic behaviour and should be avoided at all cost if your aim is to share and felt understood, unless you are some sort of a celebrity and/or willing to generously show skin o_O

Being willing to go to meetings was never my strong suite but I guess I have to push myself a bit more to start the change :(

Thanks for the warm welcome, no need to further fill up the introduction thread with this :rolleyes:
Never went to meetings im officially diagnosed ,what you need is documentation !school records are very descriptive ,medical records ,observations from friends and family from 2 years of age.think about what you were interested in his you coped

Avoid commenting on Twitter and YouTube .

Dear all,

We, Florence and Eddy, are parents of a 7 yrs old kid with severe autism. He was diagnosed with ASD when he was 2.5 yrs old. He couldn't speak until several months ago. Now he could only barely speak in the presence of his mother (not father). Then strange things happened. 1. He talked about his past life and experience in god. Our family is not religious at all. 2. He demonstrated savant-like intelligence when we asked him to recite Pi number, NCR/NPR/Log calculation. However, later we discovered that he isn't savant at all. He could just read his mom's mind! Just wondering if anyone is this forum has similar experience.

Hello, I've got Level 1 Autism, but was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in 2004, and got diagnosed with Level 1 Autism in 2018. I'm also a lesbian (as in same-sex attracted). I've also got an average IQ, but below 100. I'm good at mathematics and music, but struggle in reading. My special interests are cars, cooking, collecting cards.

My name is Ron, getting here was a long converluded journey . I always knew I was different now that I'm retired the pieces are coming together. When I was younger no-one knew what aspergers was, all the teachers and other kids knew was that I was different. My main interests at that time was reading, a voracious reader I read everything I could get my hands on. When I entered college a instructor introduce us to the Myers Briggs personality profile, I found out I was a Intp years latter I joined a Intp forum, keep in mind there was no computers or internet when I was younger. From the INTP forum I found a test for aspergers I wrote this test and finally figured out who and what I was in my mid fifties, I was surprised there were other people like me there now I found this site. Now I am retired I have finally found a site for people like me. My obsession is particle physics and cosmology, have been following this since I was teenager if not earlier, would love to find other amateurs like myself to share this interest.

My name is Ron... I found a test for aspergers I wrote this test and finally figured out who and what I was in my mid fifties, I was surprised there were other people like me there now I found this site. Now I am retired I have finally found a site for people like me.

Hi Ron the seaman - (just being a bit Dutch with your surname)
Welcome to the Forums - there are many here who have been diagnosed or self diagnosed later in life so you are in good company there.

Yes you are correct part of the dutch diaspora here in canada. No direct relation to Pieter, for those wondering check Nobel 1902.

Hi everyone!
I found this through my search for others with autism. I have asperger and is as they say high functional. Even though there is a struggle to get things in place when interacting with "normal" people and their expectations on me. I work as a computer engineer, live in Sweden with my family. But whole my life I've been different and it have until recently been a big struggle to coop with society and "how things use to be". To read between the lines and "get it" have never been for me as I believe same as for so many more with this diagnose. I am good with numbers, patterns and animals but not so good with other people. Like to stay for my self even though I am lonely. By entering this forum I have some idea that I am not alone. Yes I have my family but they don't get me all the time and frankly I know that I sometimes is a burden since I don't get everything that is expected.

Hi everyone!
I found this through my search for others with autism. I have asperger and is as they say high functional. Even though there is a struggle to get things in place when interacting with "normal" people and their expectations on me. I work as a computer engineer, live in Sweden with my family. But whole my life I've been different and it have until recently been a big struggle to coop with society and "how things use to be". To read between the lines and "get it" have never been for me as I believe same as for so many more with this diagnose. I am good with numbers, patterns and animals but not so good with other people. Like to stay for my self even though I am lonely. By entering this forum I have some idea that I am not alone. Yes I have my family but they don't get me all the time and frankly I know that I sometimes is a burden since I don't get everything that is expected.

hi we seem to have a lot in common welcome to the site, you are not alone, I have been lucky to have come a family 0f 6 where it appears 4 of us are high functioning. what are your interests

hi we seem to have a lot in common welcome to the site, you are not alone, I have been lucky to have come a family 0f 6 where it appears 4 of us are high functioning. what are your interests
Hi!

My interests for now is animals, and particularity horses and dogs. Although what been following me through life is logic behind life. As logic in chemistry, physics and math. It all hang together and by science it is proven. It have been my "special" interest through my life and it have colored my attention in the same. Animals as horses I like because they never lie, never talk between any lines. They just are as they are, simply as that and simply as me.

Hi!

My interests for now is animals, and particularity horses and dogs. Although what been following me through life is logic behind life. As logic in chemistry, physics and math. It all hang together and by science it is proven. It have been my "special" interest through my life and it have colored my attention in the same. Animals as horses I like because they never lie, never talk between any lines. They just are as they are, simply as that and simply as me.

I am currently retired, my educational background is in chemistry, engineering in particular. I know you like a of lot of us, like chasing down patterns and mysteries.

I am currently following the covid outbreak many anomalies present , I also have formal education in micro biology, weird education are you interested in sorting this out with me? With the current paradigm is incorrect. interesting puzzle

I've read through close to 15 pages of this thread. It's a bit of a bummer how many people signed up after being diagnosed just to make one post in this thread and then never log in again.

Anyway, I first found this place in late 2019 in a search when I was going through really bad depression and felt like I had nobody to talk to because no one in my family takes the time to truly understand what I'm feeling or what aspergers/autism really is besides a word they hear on TV sometimes. It took me way too long to get the courage to make an account. I want to be more active here and get some advice if there's anyone else here that sometimes feels like they are taken advantage of by the people around them.

The name is Scurvy, ScurvyDK. Officially diagnosed when I was 3. I'm high functioning now. I also have ADHD and I got over my addiction to weed about a year ago. I'm a bit of a gymhead too as strength of body and mind are very important to me. I'm trying to get a hot girlfriend because the guy I dated last was an asshole. My passive-aggressiveness is my biggest weakness because I can't go all Dragon Ball on assholes who piss me off and how I can't properly express my anger. I'm also a lifelong Mario fan but here are some of my other interests: World of Warcraft, Dragon Ball (primarily Z and Super, GT sucks ass), Shin Megami Tensei, and U.S. history. Pleased to meet y'all.

The name is Scurvy, ScurvyDK. Officially diagnosed when I was 3. I'm high functioning now. I also have ADHD and I got over my addiction to weed about a year ago. I'm a bit of a gymhead too as strength of body and mind are very important to me. I'm trying to get a girlfriend because the guy I dated last was a jerk. My passive-aggressiveness is my biggest weakness because I can't go all Dragon Ball on jerks who piss me off and how I can't properly express my anger. I'm also a lifelong Mario fan but here are some of my other interests: World of Warcraft, Dragon Ball (primarily Z and Super, GT wasn't that great), Shin Megami Tensei, and U.S. history. Pleased to meet y'all.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom